USA Politics

Now the question is if it's going to be Harris or someone else.

Whoever it's going to be in the end, all the "your candidate is old and senile" can now be turned around and aimed at the MAGA folks. This should be an absolute landslide for the Dems, let's hope they don't mess it up.
I believe it will indeed be Harris. I'd like Mark Kelly as VP pick. Can help hold Arizona and, if elected as VP, Arizona governor will pick another Democrat to fill his vacant seat. Plus, he was an astronaut - and that's pretty damn cool.

I believe it will indeed be Harris. I'd like Mark Kelly as VP pick. Can help hold Arizona and, if elected as VP, Arizona governor will pick another Democrat to fill his vacant seat. Plus, he was an astronaut - and that's pretty damn cool.
That'd be a great ticket. Harris could campaign on the good things Biden did without inheriting his major issue and weakness (his age), while Kelly could disarm some of the attacks we're going to see lobbed against Kamala.

The republicans want Biden gone as President, so that Harris would be weakened by inheriting the administration and more open to fire. I guess they are going to impeach him. That will benefit them even though he would be acquitted, as the optics would be on him.

A move to impeach Biden is classic Republican level of stupid. He just made a decision the majority of Americans approve of, while there hasn’t been nearly as vocal a push for him to resign. Also, as a now outgoing president he’s going to see his approval numbers tick up. Continuing to run against Biden is going to be like Trump trying to run against Sanders in 2020, it just won’t land.

This is probably the most unpredictable and volatile race we have seen in a long time, but there are some key points to consider:

- Trump will be running to be the oldest presidential candidate in history in a time where age has become a central issue.

- Respondents in polls and focus groups have made it clear they do not want to vote for Trump or Biden and would prefer a different option. Well, now there’s a different option and Trump is still in the race.

- Democrats hold a one point lead in the generic House ballot according to 538. I think this is a decent vantage point to see where a Biden-less race currently sits.

Replacing Biden is a risk but I think we crossed the threshold this week into a place where not only was Biden unable to realistically win, he was going to bring the House and Senate down with him and likely give up at least one state that shouldn’t be competitive. This at least brings us back to a competitive race. I continue to think Trump is a very weak candidate. If this move is enough to energize Biden’s 2020 coalition, and I think it will be, Trump is easily beatable.

I hope you are right about the impeachment, but the republicans have overall benefitted (or at least not lost support over their antics, like from that stupid Mayorkas business) from all their stupid stunts (abortion stuff excluded). They thrive on spectacles and chaos.

I hope you are right about the impeachment, but the republicans have overall benefitted (or at least not lost support over their antics, like from that stupid Mayorkas business) from all their stupid stunts (abortion stuff excluded). They thrive on spectacles and chaos.
Ask them how their impeachment of Clinton played out politically for Bill, his approval ratings shot up and most of the country looked down on their attempts. Yes, Gore lost the 2000 election by a sliver, but he and his campaign made the choice to distance themselves from Bill despite him having solid approval ratings and a solid record to run on.

I feel like he had to, she being his VP and all. Would've been a horrible take if he would have endorsed someone else.
He could have just favored an open convention and referred to an open, more democratic process
Ask them how their impeachment of Clinton played out politically for Bill, his approval ratings shot up and most of the country looked down on their attempts. Yes, Gore lost the 2000 election by a sliver, but he and his campaign made the choice to distance themselves from Bill despite him having solid approval ratings and a solid record to run on.
I should have specified "during this administration".

He could have just favored an open convention and referred to an open, more democratic process

Eh, I don't see it. I know that he has nothing to lose and no reason to think "politically" anymore. As in, "If I endorse so and so, that will win me brownie points with the party!" He's close to death, isn't going to do anything after this so he could've done that, but maybe I'm old school and I see it as the least he could do for his VP.

Back