USA Politics

Agree with your point, and let's just say I spoke to both sides here.

Perun, I just said that Trump might get stronger and then didn't apply direct opinion on weaponisation exactly to avoid this bs. When I say "many people consider weaponisation" this is a true argument no grey areas or need for proof. The reaction I got from Jer twice is heated with strong words and exactly if I was expressing the opinion that is weaponisation.

Why not replying to what a person actually says instead of what we think he means or said in the past?

A brand name isn’t an argument. Show me a credible argument made by him or anyone else that explains how Biden magically made the New York State legal system bend to his will, or accept the fact that you’re spreading false propaganda.

He knows better the law than you, he is respected law professor and he is a democrat.

It’s not “smearing” when it’s true. You don’t have the first clue what you’re talking about here, you’ve been corrected on it multiple times, and yet in typical @____no5 fashion you keep repeating your misinformation anyway. Either do better, or stop pretending other people are in the wrong when they call you out on your obvious bullshit.

"True", "corrected", "misinformation", "obvious bullshit", too much of authority here.
There is no absolute truth in law, see Dershowitz argument; it always ends up to interpretations. Let's stop it here. I tried to avoid clashing with you but again you couldn't help it and attacked anyway.

It's not surprising in the least. The amount of mental gymnastics to defend Trump has been a thing since 2016. Just looking at statements like these:

I am not defending Trump.

He knows better the law than you,
So does Rudy Giuliani, in theory. Does that mean that Rudy’s arguments about 2020 election fraud must carry weight?

Also, I clearly understand the U.S. legal system far better than you do. What does that say about my argument vs. yours, by your own terms?

he is respected law professor
So was Rudy Giuliani at one point, until he started spewing nonsense. Again, a brand name isn’t an argument.

and he is a democrat.
Irrelevant.

"True", "corrected", "misinformation", "obvious bullshit", too much of authority here.
Only if I’m wrong. What’s your argument for how I’m wrong?

There is no absolute truth in law
That’s a blatantly communist principle, and objectively not true in cases where the law and the evidence align objectively a priori.

see Dershowitz argument; it always ends up to interpretations.
This is coming from one of O.J. Simpson’s lawyers. Of course he’s going to defend the practice of filling jurors’ heads with bullshit and seeing jury nullification as a valid tactic. That doesn’t mean that there has to be any actual ambiguity on the facts.

Let's stop it here.
Yes, we wouldn’t want anyone to keep pointing out how the emperor has no clothes.

Still waiting for a credible argument, which you will of course never provide.

I guess I just don't see why it takes a conspiracy for the legal system to oppose convicted felon Donald Trump, a man who has spent his life blustering himself out of legal trouble. Trump, who I hasten to remind you was convicted by a jury of his peers in accordance with US law of 34 felonies, may have simply made his own bed, and has finally been forced to lie in it. He might have been the 45th president, but he is also a convicted felon in federal court and legally he has committed thirty four felony counts. Convicted felon Donald J. Trump. Really has a nice ring to it.

Yeah, and I mean, he has a couple debates coming up with Convicted Felon Donald J. Trump, too. Felon Trump has spent years saying Joe Biden is so dumb that he can barely talk, which lowers the bar for Biden to nothing. That's why Trump (guilty on 34 felony counts) has now been saying the only way Joe Biden can perform is by doing a shit ton of uppers to get the energy needed to handle a debate. Guilty Trump tried the same argument after Biden's state of the union address, which legitimately gave Biden some momentum and stopped his pre-SOTU poll skid.

The thing I'm not understanding is Biden is simultaneously being portrayed as a mastermind capable of covertly pulling strings to lock up his political rivals and as a bumbling old man whose brain is just a bowl of gelatin at this point.

Like, is he genius or geriatric?

Orwell had a word for that: Doublethink. We also call it cognitive dissonance. It's the same thing that allows people to believe NASA could make thousands of skilled contractors not know that the machines they build can't really land on the moon, but one guy who looks at a photo can figure it out; that an entire cabal of people can prevent any info on a conspiracy to kill Kennedy to leak for sixty years, but were somehow too stupid to consider somebody might be filming the event; that they could mastermind 9/11 but could be found out by some kid with a laptop, and so on.

That's why convicted felon Donald Trump calls Joe Biden "Sleepy Joe" all the time. It's the same thing, except that Joe Biden does have moments of energy and coherence, whereas Donald Trump is absolutely convicted on 34 felony counts...so far.

I guess I just don't see why it takes a conspiracy for the legal system to oppose convicted felon Donald Trump, a man who has spent his life blustering himself out of legal trouble. Trump, who I hasten to remind you was convicted by a jury of his peers in accordance with US law of 34 felonies, may have simply made his own bed, and has finally been forced to lie in it. He might have been the 45th president, but he is also a convicted felon in federal court and legally he has committed thirty four felony counts. Convicted felon Donald J. Trump. Really has a nice ring to it.
Yea, this is one of the things that really confounds me as it’s an argument that I frequently see from people who should know better. We’re talking about a guy who has spent his whole life with a reputation of being legally shady. Is it really that much of a surprise that his actions caught up with him?

It needs to be hammered in to voters that he is a convicted felon because voters tend to forget things. There are already data points that strongly suggest voters remember no other event from the Trump presidency besides when he signed his name on COVID stimulus checks. One of the challenges of the Biden campaign is going to be jogging the collective memory of what a Trump presidency looks like.

Yea, this is one of the things that really confounds me as it’s an argument that I frequently see from people who should know better. We’re talking about a guy who has spent his whole life with a reputation of being legally shady. Is it really that much of a surprise that his actions caught up with him?

It needs to be hammered in to voters that he is a convicted felon because voters tend to forget things. There are already data points that strongly suggest voters remember no other event from the Trump presidency besides when he signed his name on COVID stimulus checks. One of the challenges of the Biden campaign is going to be jogging the collective memory of what a Trump presidency looks like.
Everyone in New York City knew he was a crook in 2016, but the rest of the world only remembered the Apprentice. It's not a surprise, but you had people bleating on about what a good businessman he is despite going bankrupt three times, and the Dems wouldn't hammer him on that. They have to nail him on the felonies.

The problem is that the Dems interpreted "going high" as "forgetting that their job is to win". Saying convicted felon Donald Trump is a bad businessman is a fact. It's also a fact to say that he's been held liable for sexual assault and defamation in a court case, that his business was declared a criminal enterprise in court and ordered to basically disband, and that he committed 34 felonies in New York State. Hammering a guy on reality isn't going low.

The sad thing is that there's a sizeable chunk of people who will vote for Trump, no matter what. They'll proclaim to be for "law and order" in the same breath in which they'll say "now I'll vote even harder for him". Trump managed to grift raise more than 70 million from his cultists following the verdict.

And honestly, I will never understand how there can still be undecided folks in 2024. What's there to be uncertain of anymore? We know who Trump is and what he stands for. But I suppose if it takes hammering down the fact that he is a convicted felon for people like that to finally make up their mind, then so be it.

Back