USA Politics

Fox beats them pretty handily combined

http://tvbythenumbers.com/category/ratings/cable-news

From last Monday (this seems to be representative of most days)

P2+ Total Day
FNC – 1,147,000 viewers
CNN – 345,000 viewers
MSNBC – 396,000 viewers
CNBC – 172,000 viewers
HLN – 266,000 viewers

P2+ Prime Time
FNC – 2,245,000 viewers
CNN – 418,000 viewers
MSNBC –799,000 viewers
CNBC – 156,000 viewers
HLN – 394,000 viewers

Despite being in fewer households than CNN

CNN/HLN: 100.22 million HHs

CNBC: 97.59 million HHs

FNC: 98.04  million HHs

MSNBC: 93.0 million HHs

bearfan said:
The right is certainly better on radio/TV in terms of listeners/viewers they draw in.  Fox outdraws MSNBC/CNN and people like Rush dominate the radio versus a bankrupt Air America in the ratings game.

... so better ratings means they're more serious?

Suicidehummer said:
... so better ratings means they're more serious?
I never said they are more serious, I said it is better if people look at issues more seriously than what TV/Radio hosts offer (left or right).  I did say that the right draws a bigger crowd in the TV/Radio mediums, there is no doubting that based on ratings.

Ceertainly a large percentage of these shows are a combination of entertainment and opinion .. this applies to the left and right.  I think they are fine if they are an intro to politics or to listen to them with what they are in mind, but it's best if people look at the issues a bit more seriously.

I think you could get it from the above, but I certainly could have stated this

"Certainly the right is far better at this in the US than the left."

better as in,

"Certainly the right is far better at drawing an audience in the US than the left."

That's possible.  However, I've heard many 'right siders' complain that the Broadcast networks lean towards the left (NBC, CBS, ABC).

I still think that Jon Stewart does the best job of reporting the news on TV.

I get all of my info from playing my vinyl records backwards....speak to me o' Dark Lord :devil:

Interesting note...the voice I hear when I play my records backwards is none other than former Defense Secretary, VP, Halibutron CEO and Hunting partner..Dick Cheney.

Wasted CLV said:
That's possible.  However, I've heard many 'right siders' complain that the Broadcast networks lean towards the left (NBC, CBS, ABC).

I still think that Jon Stewart does the best job of reporting the news on TV.

At least Jon Stewart and Colbert are honest about being entertainment, not news. CNN, MSNBC, Glen Beck and countless others have the balls to tell people the are "serious news" when they are on TV, not to inform, but because they are attention whores who were probably the ignored younger sibling and picked on in school. Now they have a news show to merely speak their mind to compensate and don't care about facts....

Agreed!

Did you see the time that Stewart was on Crossfire (I believe) and went head to head with those guys.  They were trying to give him a hard time for joking around so much and he came right back with something about how it was too bad his satire of news was more insightful than their real news show.

Nigel Tufnel said:
I get all of my info from playing my vinyl records backwards....speak to me o' Dark Lord :devil:

OK.  That's funny.

Nigel Tufnel said:
Interesting note...the voice I hear when I play my records backwards is none other than former Defense Secretary, VP, Halibutron CEO and Hunting partner..Dick Cheney.

But that's not.

Wasted CLV said:
Agreed!

Did you see the time that Stewart was on Crossfire (I believe) and went head to head with those guys.  They were trying to give him a hard time for joking around so much and he came right back with something about how it was too bad his satire of news was more insightful than their real news show.

Yeah, that's why they don't like Jon. They look at him as a joke, but they know he can go toe to toe with any of them egomaniacs.

Wasted CLV said:
Agreed!

I did. That is what I like about Jon. When it's time to get serious, he does. I was telling a friend of mine that I prefer Stewart over Colbert, because of their interview techniques. Stewart allows the person to speak and gets a lot of information. Colbert continually interrupts and misinforms for the sake of cheap laughs. Other than that they both have funny shows.

Onhell said:
Colbert continually interrupts and misinforms for the sake of cheap laughs. Other than that they both have funny shows.

Agreed.

How about Stewart's interview of Rod Blagojevich? It got pretty heated a few times, and Jon even indirectly called him a sociopath. :bigsmile:

Damn, I wish I had seen that!!  (off to youtube)  I recall the time he had Cheney's wife on, and I was pretty impressed that he could pull that one off.  Colbert is funny, but agreed, he is more funny than informative.  He pushes to hard for the jokes.  Still a great watch (and a fun book he wrote), but not as good as Stewart.  Jon has an uncanny ability to produce a comedic view of news that is (somewhat) informative, but amusing enough to pay attention to.

Stewart isn't quite as funny as Colbert though. And I think Colbert's show actually relieved the pressure on him to be funny. Now he can be more serious.

They do complement each other very well. As for who is funnier... for me their styles are different. Stewart has "reporters" and Lewis Black stops by every now and then. Colbert does everything himself.

Onhell said:
They do complement each other very well. As for who is funnier... for me their styles are different. Stewart has "reporters" and Lewis Black stops by every now and then. Colbert does everything himself.

To be honest, I always found the reporters to be the Daily Show's weak point. They don't deliver the lines as well as Jon with a few exceptions (Colbert, Steve Carell, John Oliver). Lewis Black is usually great but his latest rant was actually not very funny.

Back