USA Politics

I have a hard time seeing it. If North Dakota can vote to legalize weed, I think most GOP congresspeople can afford to vote for a federal decriminalization. There’s also enough wiggle room to vote against it and still have it pass.

If anything I suspect a lot of this has to do with lobbying from tobacco companies.

From the introduction page of Georgia's Attorney General's reply to (read: dismissal of) one of Sidney Powell's lawsuits:

". Their claims would be extraordinary if true, but they are not. Much like the mythological “kraken” monster1 after which Plaintiffs have named this lawsuit, their claims of election fraud and malfeasance belong more to the kraken’s realm of mythos than they do to reality."

:applause:

Last edited:
From the introduction page of Georgia's Attorney General's reply to (read: dismissal of) one of Sidney Powell's lawsuits:

". Their claims would be extraordinary if true, but they are not. Much like the mythological “kraken” monster1 after which Plaintiffs have named this lawsuit, their claims of election fraud and malfeasance belong more to the kraken’s realm of mythos than they do to reality."

:applause:
Trump has apparently raised about 2 million dollars from his gullible supporters to finance his lawsuits, and the Boyfriend's immediate response was "a lot of lawyers can have a happy Christmas then!"

Maybe that's the point - they don't need to win, they just need to string it out as long as possible so they keep getting paid ... ::)

GA of Texas sues several swing states for conducting their elections in an "unconstitutional" way, demanding that their certifications are rescinded and the deadline for appointing electors is delayed beyond the 14th ...and they are sending it right to the SC, today.

You couldn't make this shit up :facepalm:

Good thing Texas couldn’t possibly have the standing to mount such a case, and the SCOTUS may well refuse to even hear it. If they do hear it, there’s no way in hell it will get anywhere. I guess the right will start castigating Trump’s appointees in that case...

Just the idea of one state pursuing legal action to interfere in another state’s election seems unconstitutional and anti-conservative. SCOTUS is obviously not in a hurry to get involved with any of this.

Good thing Texas couldn’t possibly have the standing to mount such a case, and the SCOTUS may well refuse to even hear it. If they do hear it, there’s no way in hell it will get anywhere. I guess the right will start castigating Trump’s appointees in that case...
With all the trouble Trump has gone through to help them into these prestigious jobs, is it really that big a favor to ask from them that they overturn the election results in Trump's favor??? Come on!

... They'll probably be labeled CINOs. Conservative in name only. And it's not spelled that differently from ... wait for it ... China. So there you go. It's a conspiracy!

• Haha
Reactions: Jer
If there's anyone on here who has bothered to follow any of the lawsuits that Trump & friends have filed and check the details, I'd like to ask:

Are there many who use the statistical non-argument by Shiva Ayyadurai as basis? Namely, plotting two statistical figures against each other and claiming the line should be horizontal - but since the line was sloping instead, this was taken as proof that many votes must have been tampered with? I say non-argument because I took the time to read the claim and watch a video of one guy explaining why the sloping line was exactly what was to be expected. And the math is not complicated.

I'm asking because I'm curious as to whether there are a lot of people who:
  • have heard of this
  • believe it is actually proof of voter fraud
  • take it to the court, believing it is waterproof evidence
Because if that is happening, a lot of people will easily be led to believe that the courts are part of the fraud.

I did see that Ayyadurai was mentioned as a source in the Powell vs Georgia lawsuit, which was swiftly shot down in flames.

It’s the same old bullshit. The right-wing propaganda machine is there to sway the minds of people who aren’t going to think too critically about what they’re being told. You’ve got the Hannity types making emotional appeals on a daily basis, casting anyone who deviates from the message as an enemy. You’ve got the fake intellectuals like Mark Levin making the calm, wordy appeal where someone who doesn’t pay close attention will think that two people who are smarter than them are having a conversation about “important ideas” and discussing really detailed “facts” and reaching the same conclusions as the gut guys like Hannity, so those conclusions must be true! And then you’ve got the political shills (a.k.a. fucking liars) who are part of the government, or closely associated with the party or right wing “think” tanks, who just go out and tell bold-faced lies over and over again to provide fuel for the propaganda machine.

If you go and independently check any of this stuff outside of the right wing echo chamber, it’s obvious where it falls over. You don’t have to be an expert to see the flaws. And if you don’t spend much time in the right wing media, it’s pretty shocking when you dip your toes in. There’s truly an alternate reality over there where the only scandal with Ukraine involved the Bidens, and where there’s hard evidence of massive multi-state voter fraud that stole the presidential election, and where die-hard Trump-supporting Republican officials who stood by the electoral processes in their states are now clearly corrupt RINOs taking bribes from China.

It’s not hyperbole to say that U.S. right wing culture under Trump has become a cult. Say anything against the leader or the cult itself and you’re “discredited” and excommunicated. Anyone who isn’t on board all the time is an enemy, even if they’ve proven their loyalty to the cause time and again. If you can’t support the official line, you have to stay quiet or suffer the leader’s wrath. It’s a pathetic joke, and it’s only able to take hold because Americans as a whole stopped valuing knowledge and intellect (those are things for the “elite”!), aren’t encouraged to think critically (religion has a lot to answer for on that front), and aren’t given a proper civics education so they don’t know how the government works or when these sacks of shit are lying to them about what is and isn’t legal. But hey, at least we posted that awesome selfie on Facebook and listened to “WAP” for the umpteenth time.

It’s not hyperbole to say that U.S. right wing culture under Trump has become a cult. Say anything against the leader or the cult itself and you’re “discredited” and excommunicated.
I'm going to argue a little on semantics. Right wing culture became a cult and then Trump took the cult over.

A friend of mine, who ISN'T a Trump supporter, but IS a right wing conservative, is defending his legal actions tooth and nail. As Jer mentioned, he sends me all these articles and supposed data dug up by hackers and data miners, yet..... NONE of it... not one, has been independently corroborated, sent in as evidence on any of the lawsuits or taken seriously by the courts on the grounds of basically being utter nonsense.

Reactions: Jer
I'm going to argue a little on semantics. Right wing culture became a cult and then Trump took the cult over.
A fair and arguable point, though the conservatives I personally know didn’t turn into pod people until Trump took over.

The left isn't THAT much better. Most of the conservatives I know, and I tend to agree, critizes the Dems for being out of touch with middle and rural america, basically a party of elites. Ironic, considering the GOP is the one of no taxes for the rich and corporations, but somehow they get support of people in the rust belt, mid and southwest (sans California). But listening to most of the candidates in the last few elections the Dems go for free college, forgiving college debt and taxing the billionaires. Well..... only 25 to 27% of the total population goes to college, why should farmer joe care about free college or college debt forgiveness? I mean. I know why they should, but they don't. Hell, college going friends of mine are pissed about college forgiveness because THEY didn't get their debt forgiven, why should other people? People are THAT self-centered and near-sighted.

After reading another dismissal of one of the Trump allies' lawsuits (this time in Wisconsin) it strikes me that these people working on behalf of Trump
  • can't get simple facts right. In the lawsuit in question, for example, they demanded that surveillance footage from the TCF Center. That's in Detroit, Michigan.
  • Don't care whether they file lawsuits at the correct level. This one was directed to a federal court which dismissed it on the grounds that it did not have the power to grant the relief sought by the plaintiffs
It confirms that their lack of actual evidence of fraud has forced them to throw random, poorly founded lawsuits at courts at all levels, hoping something will work.

(Of course, there's another option, but that involves admitting they're wrong ... so that won't happen.)

I've given this quite a bit of thought and I think part of the problem is the way both the right wing media, mainly Fox news and the left wing media, mainly CNN have handled the situation and how they both report the news and the way they attack each other. I wish a new media news TV station would come along that TRULY reported things EQUALLY from BOTH sides, left and right and NEVER said ANYTHING that in any way attacked anyone. ONLY reported the FACTS and didn't throw in their opinions about it. JUST THE ACTUAL FACTS.

Back