USA Politics

Trump’s outlier presidency has also made it clear where additional legislation is needed to codify the things that people with ethics and a sense of shame would have never considered doing in the first place, so there’s that. Shoring up the ragged edges of the republic one moron at a time...
I hope that's what happens, but something tells me that the GOP is looking at how an inept reality tv show host tested the limits of the republic and are thinking "imagine if we try to consolidate all power".

The scotus ruling is great news. Not just the way they ruled, but how decisive and swift it was. With so many GOP reps signing on to the lawsuit, I was worried that this would drag out and make a bad situation much worse. SCOTUS staying out of it for the most part seemed like the right move, for them to come down hard against Trump is even better.
It took Trump four years to tear down the electoral democracy and faith in democracy. Four. The US weakness and withering is pathetic and what moral high ground it once had is gone. This is how liberty dies. We are witnessing the demise of Western democracy. Good job all the millions of lunatics and self serving snakes. What an achievement.
This type of thinking is shortsighted, historically inaccurate, and partially responsible for how Trump gets elected in the first place. Electoral democracy and faith in democracy was already being weakened, Trump just exacerbated a problem that was already there. Ignoring it just created an opening for a Trump-like figure. To paint Trump as the problem rather than a symptom of a longer term and deeper problem just sets the US up to treat him as an aberration and make the same mistake again.

I wonder what things would be like if Trump was a liberal and acting the same way he has but towards the right. Since this site seems to mostly have members who are more on the left, I bet anything you'd all be cheering that on.

I wonder what things would be like if Trump was a liberal and acting the same way he has but towards the right. Since this site seems to mostly have members who are more on the left, I bet anything you'd all be cheering that on.

• Haha
Reactions: Jer
And if Trump was a liberal and the election went against him in the same way and he and the left were all claiming voter fraud and trying to get the election results overturned, you'd all be for that as well.

Bloomberg, like Trump, is a racist, treats women poorly, is unqualified to be president, and was rejected by the Democratic Party. So your assumption is false.

And if Trump was a liberal and the election went against him in the same way and he and the left were all claiming voter fraud and trying to get the election results overturned, you'd all be for that as well.
The left wouldn't claim voter fraud, because it doesn't happen. There's not been widespread voter fraud since...well, depending on who you ask, either 1960 or 1920.

If the left acquiesced to Hillary losing in 2016, which they did, there's your answer. And that's despite all the electoral bullshit pulled by the GOP to get to that point.

Know what, not done yet.

This is the problem with conservatives, they assume it's not about the reality of the situation, but about taking teams. If there was actual voter fraud, with evidence, then sure, that's one thing. If there was evidence of voter fraud in this election, I'd be pissed off. But there isn't. There's no notable voter fraud. In fact, the only voter fraud that's been found was by Republicans!

The last time an election was thrown out in the USA was in 2018 because...the Republican cheated!

Horseshit, utter horseshit. I'm for reality, not for the Democrats. Reality is that Donald Trump lost. He was destroyed in the popular vote by a huge margin, and lost the electoral college handily.

Anyway, everything I'm saying is the way I view and see things. And this is coming from someone who doesn't really support either the left or right.

Also, I noticed similar to this site on Blabbermouth that whenever a band or singer talks politics, if it's against Trump which is 99% of those bands and singers, most posts support it and if it's someone like Ted Nugent or anyone pro-Trump, most posts are against it. Which makes me wonder if most people who like hard rock/heavy metal music also lean more towards the left since that's where most bands seem to be as well.

Which makes me wonder if most people who like hard rock/heavy metal music also lean more towards the left since that's where most bands seem to be as well.

I suspect it's true alright, as Metal itself is a reaction to a lot of right wing positions, and it's generally people of a right wing persuasion who wanted to suppress Metal in the past.

There does seem to be some right wing elements in Black Metal, and I find you tend to get a lot of conspiracy theories in Metal lyrics as well.

Why am I not surprised to discover that Ted Nugent is a Trump fan ... ::)

What I find astonishing, though, is that whatever "compelling evidence" they thought they had, they got all the way to SCOTUS without ever presenting it. What did they expect would happen? Okay, maybe they did expect this outcome and had their moaning rants all ready to go when the inevitable happened - I can believe that Trump is sufficiently self-absorbed to really believe that any vote not for him constitutes illegal - but what was his legal team thinking of, really? Even if they got paid you would think they would be concerned about the effect that bringing baseless lawsuits that get thrown out (and consequently looking extremely silly) was going to have on their professional reputations.

I can only assume their continual insistence that the evidence was plain to see must have been an audacious attempt to gaslight the entire world.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't really support either the left or right.

Vast majority of this forum does not come from the U.S. For instance, in European context Bernie Sanders is just a normal labour/socialdemocrat affair, Obama would be somewhere on the christian-democrat level, while Trump is a clean right-wing populist/nationalist, and some other GOP hawks would be straight out extreme right.

Say the average of the worldwide audience of the forum is center-left, they'd mostly agree with someone that's between Obama and Sanders, but leaning more towards the latter (in positions).

What this has to do with you is that there's quite a gap between worldwide 'center-left' and the 'center' you describe yourself in, so don't expect a lot of agreements in discussions.

That being said, now that Donald Trump is on the way out, I can look back at his presidency and find at least one thing he did that was somewhat good, and one thing he did that was at least net neutral. So there you go. It was only 99.99% complete shit.

I will add, supporting Trump does not equal being "conservative". It equals accepting outright lies on a level that's rare even in politics. If anyone for a second believed Trump cared about the country more than about homself, his farcical handling of the election should be enough to prove the opposite.

Today he still claims he won by a landslide. He tries to paint a picture where the vote count from election night was the final count, when everyone knew that key states had plenty of mail votes left to count and that the early voters were mostly Democrat voters.

He plays the victim card, as he has always done after defeat. Be it an Emmy he didn't get, a state primary he didn't win or a round of golf he didn't win - it's always someone else cheating.

How being critical of this has anything to do with right or left, I don't know.

It has to do with right or wrong.

Yeah, I think you'd hardly find someone here on this forum who'd be more "conservative"* than me and yet what Trump's doing is absolutely distasteful and downright insane. And I'm glad SCOTUS shot that one down.

(* with the caveat that the last vocal American conservative I could more or less stand behind was probably William F. Buckley Jr. There are people there I don't want to kill even nowadays - Ross Douthat, about 80 % of him anyway - but they're few and far between)

Let alone the fact that for all the strong leadership and alpha - macho posturing Trump behaves like a big old sissy. My distate for Democrats remains, but Trump is now not even the option to troll them.

You know, I realize, even thinking about Trump in secret, it's like fighting with a pig. You get really dirty, whatever you'll do, you're definitely going to lose and the worst of all - after a while you realize the pig actually likes it.

So yeah, I'm trying not to think about Trump at all. The best way to hurt a narcissist, methinks.

I will add, supporting Trump does not equal being "conservative".

Agreed.

We had a city major who was a Trump before Trump. You had people that supported him for what he is (background/narrative/stance), just like Trump. But you also had people there who are deeply disconnected from mainstream politics. Some of them for the right reasons, but most of them for the wrong ones, like the usual blaming of society and policy for one's failures in life. They voted this guy in because they saw him as a clown. For them, politics are a circus, and the best affirmation they can get is an actual clown in charge. And then a large contingent of his voters are passive-aggressive mediocrities who just like to lower the bar of what it means to be successful.

Back