USA Politics

Thanks @LooseCannon , @Dr. Eddies Wingman & @Mosh.

His current head honcho said that the Pensylvania case (which was fatuous in the extreme) being thrown out was actually helpful to them because it meant they would get to the Supreme Court quicker, but didn't elaborate - presumably he wants us to assume that they have some "masterstroke" which they will unleash at that point. Maybe he's also hoping that having got his case into the Supreme Court he can get everyone who went before overruled in one go (although I notice he's distanced himself from the lawyer who was talking dramatically about getting judges impeached for refusing to take their case ...) But it's equally possible he could just be talking big to try to scare the opposition. I think Trump is used to suing as a first resort but I'm not sure he's used to playing a long game - he's too impatient and volatile. But he's very used to getting his own way.

It's probably more in his interests to sound off about being robbed, never being defeated, and certainly not being a loser, but to flounce off quietly and go back to being a backseat president and media personality.

I do wonder what Trump is actually thinking. Does he genuinely think there was fraud? Does he think the SCOTUS would rule in his favor and that the only roadblock so far is getting through the lower courts? Is he trying to save face and set up a path to run in 2024?

I do wonder what Trump is actually thinking. Does he genuinely think there was fraud? Does he think the SCOTUS would rule in his favor and that the only roadblock so far is getting through the lower courts? Is he trying to save face and set up a path to run in 2024?
There’s no deep thought involved. In his mind acknowledging missteps or losses is a sign of weakness and must be avoided at all costs. He cannot be seen as a loser, therefore he must not have lost. The details below that high-level assessment are irrelevant — whatever fits the narrative will do.

He seems to have started believing he can never be wrong. He's been banging on about mass voter fraud and going to the Supreme Court for months before a single vote was even cast - almost like he knew he was going to lose so didn't waste time before setting up the cover story. He's not saving face at all (just coming across as a very sore loser) but in his tiny mind maybe he thinks he is ...

There’s no deep thought involved. In his mind acknowledging missteps or losses is a sign of weakness and must be avoided at all costs. He cannot be seen as a loser, therefore he must not have lost. The details below that high-level assessment are irrelevant — whatever fits the narrative will do.
No doubt about it, but that aspect of Trump’s psychology interests me. What kind of alternate universe does he live in? Does he believe his own lies?

Anyway, the important states have certified their votes, Trump has allowed the transition to begin which is about as close to a concession as we’ll get, and slowly more republicans are acknowledging the Biden victory. I said before that once the states certify the goal posts will be moved. I’m curious to see how that plays out. So far the line has been “Trump has the right to pursue his legal options.” Well, he did that and the courts smacked him down hard. I think republicans will still stay quiet until the Georgia runoffs, but after that who knows? Depends on the result I guess.

So, the Metal Trump guy has now started doing Iron Biden videos instead.

The video from just before the election, Metal Trump ft. Iron Biden doing Drowning Pool’s “Bodies”:

...and the first solo Iron Biden video, Metallica’s “King Nothing”:

Hate to say it, but Iron Biden is lower energy...LOL.

Barr has been a notably political AG, for him to break with Trump this openly is very interesting. Not sure what to make of it, it might give a lot of congressional republicans enough cover to start accepting the results. Didn't see that one coming.

Some Biden cabinet picks are starting to come out. So far the message is clear: experience and competency are the most important criteria. It's interesting because so far none of the political A-list predictions have come true. I said that the senate results means that no senator is going to get into the cabinet, but it seems like that was probably a non starter anyway. It looks like Biden is selecting only career public servants with no greater political aspirations. It's a good move imo and gives Republicans less room to oppose. It also sends a huge message and fits the return to normal ethos.

The one possible political cabinet pick I'm still interested in who was talked about before the election is Mayor Pete. The only reason I think he is more of a possibility is that he is not currently holding any office and he really has nowhere to go in his home state of Indiana. I think the party wants him to be a presence. For that to happen, he either needs to move to another state where he can win a statewide election or be part of the Biden cabinet.

Barr has been a notably political AG, for him to break with Trump this openly is very interesting. Not sure what to make of it, it might give a lot of congressional republicans enough cover to start accepting the results. Didn't see that one coming.
Trump has clearly lost whatever passed for his marbles now, completely. He's becoming more of a petty tyrant by the day, just getting rid of anyone who crosses him. His party is starting to turn on him openly because they realise he's a total liability and their only hope going forwards is to get him out asap.

If by some cruel twist of fate he did succeed in overturning the result, the next thing I can see him doing is trying to change the rule that says he can only serve two terms. This isn't ordinary vanity and arrogance, it's something considerably more sinister.

It’s really going to come down to the Georgia runoffs. This becomes a very different conversation if Trump costs republicans two senate seats in Georgia.

I think unsigned bills expire before the new congress. The house would simply have to pass the same bill again, but a new senate can’t take up the last house’s bill.

Marijuana decriminalization seems like an easy win for both parties. I’m honestly surprised it didn’t happen during Trump’s term (there’s still time I suppose).

I think unsigned bills expire before the new congress. The house would simply have to pass the same bill again, but a new senate can’t take up the last house’s bill.

Marijuana decriminalization seems like an easy win for both parties. I’m honestly surprised it didn’t happen during Trump’s term (there’s still time I suppose).
I think both sides are frightened by it, to be honest with you. The Dems are petrified of being seen as soft on crime, and the GOP are petrified of being primaried for being too liberal.

Back