USA Politics

Semantics. As of now he is a one term president. He would be going into that race as a former president who already failed to win a second term. That sort of perception matters and while there are certainly members of his base who will follow him to the end, there’s probably a chunk of GOP voters (and independents) who would rather see a fresh face who isn’t a loser.

This is also assuming Trump isn’t prosecuted, has a health scare, or dies before 2024.

Should he run and win in 2024, he’d accomplish something only Grover Cleveland managed before him.

Should he run and win in 2024, he’d accomplish something only Grover Cleveland managed before him.

which would ruin a great simpsons line from grandpa simpson "when I was a pup we got spanked by presidents 'til the cows came home, Grover Cleveland spanked me on two non consecutive occasions!"

I don’t think there has been one. You can also look at people who lost a general election and then ran again. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Nixon, who of course won.

Who was the last (if there was one) person to lose re-election, then run again, and lose again?
Yeah, I don't think there's ever been another one, but I am pondering.

Tricky Dick ran & lost, ran & won, ran & won.
Millard Fillmore only ran once, on the Know Nothing ticket in 1856.
William Jennings Bryan ran three times and lost three times.

TIL about the Know Nothing party. Yikes. Maybe Trump could revive it next time around.

This was an interesting article (www.tagesanzeiger.ch/trump-taeubelt-474287223569):

"70 million Americans voted for Trump. The president now persuades them that Joe Biden has betrayed not only him, but also them. At some point they will believe him." [...]

"Trump can think whatever he wants, which in the end will not prevent him from losing the presidency and having to leave the White House. But it isn't just the president who spreads the lie about the stolen election. A substantial number of Republicans are participating." [...] "Personality cult, fear and election tactics - for truth this is always a very toxic mixture."

"This poison, if not stopped, will seep deeper and deeper into American society in the coming weeks. It will continue to degrade the already fragile fabric that holds this society together. 70 million people voted for Trump, and the president is now convincing them that Joe Biden cheated on not only him, but also them. Any Republican who promotes or tolerates this lie undermines confidence in America's elections. This is how democracies die."

Reactions: Jer
It's worth noting that the reason Grover Cleveland felt empowered to take another kick at the can in 1892 is because he actually won the popular vote in 1888 but got squeaked in the Electoral College. Cleveland lost NY by 15,000 votes, which would have swung the presidency to him. There was a major 3rd party candidate - Clinton Fisk on the Prohibition ticket - who picked up 30,000 votes in NY.

So if that sounds familiar...

It's worth noting that the reason Grover Cleveland felt empowered to take another kick at the can in 1892 is because he actually won the popular vote in 1888 but got squeaked in the Electoral College. Cleveland lost NY by 15,000 votes, which would have swung the presidency to him. There was a major 3rd party candidate - Clinton Fisk on the Prohibition ticket - who picked up 30,000 votes in NY.

So if that sounds familiar...
Well, a certain business charlatan, real estate crook and golf cheat from New York seems to think he's won the popular vote twice, but that's not the same as actually doing it, is it? :D

My soul weeps for where the world is at. I say it again, Western civilization and democracy peaked 20 years ago and has been on a slope ever since. Bit by bit, meter by meter it is eroding until we're eventually left with what we've been fighting against for 100 years.

Back