1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Tame a Land

Discussion in 'Piece Of Mind' started by The Ancient Mariner, Jan 25, 2003.

?

How good is To Tame A Land on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

39.1%
  2. 9

19.6%
  3. 8

10.9%
  4. 7

23.9%
  5. 6

6.5%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

Yeah, I have it on my phone. Incredible show. They could release damn near it as-is if they wanted to

2. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

How do you followup Hallowed? With something completely different. This one mixes up the Hallowed formula a bit. It relies less on a single musical idea and places the buildup in the middle of the song, instead of the beginning. The lyrics are wacky but Bruce delivers them with class. He really tops off an already world class performance by kicking it up another notch. Great guitar melodies throughout this song and has an exotic flair that is quite new for Maiden. The buildup in the middle is one of the best Maiden moments. Proggy bands like Dream Theater owe their entire existence to moments like this. I also love the way Steve's bass playing drives the ending. The song really builds in intensity as the guitarists are soloing while Steve and Nicko are already bringing it home. It's also a precursor to the more instrumentally driven Powerslave album.

The song isn't flawless, the lyrics suffer from Steve's wordiness and it is not one of my go-to Maiden epics. So I can't give it the full 10, but it comes close.

3. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

This is a superb piece of music, absolutely everyone in top form. Love the heaviness of the main riff and the middle instrumental is superb.

I do think it's let down a bit by the lyrics and rather plain vocal melodies though. If this had a strong hook and chorus it would be out of this world.

4. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

They tried something different with this song and I'm not sure if I like it. The fast paced lyrics are not my favourite. It also has some kind of a closed feel, probably due to constant key changes. It has some similarities to The Nomad, which was released almost two decades later. I can say that is my least favourite of 80's Maiden epics. But the intro is a thing of beauty.

It's still a good song.
    7/10

5. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Gott Mit Uns

Like with Revelations, it's a good song, but it's just not Maiden. It feels like they knew that Hallowed was a masterpiece and attempted to do something similar for POM. Didn't really work. And those lyrics are terrible. Enjoyable to listen to but not what it's cracked up to be. 7/10