To Tame a Land

How good is To Tame A Land on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
taker64 said:
9 out of 10... One of my favorites on the album. As I couldn't figure out what the hell the lyrics were about I was inspired to read "Dune" even though I was never much of a sci-fi guy. I loved the book, and was able to love the tune even more... a great read and highly recommended. There are a number of other novels in the Dune series that I never got to, probably because Steve didn't write anything based on them... :blush:

I wish I didn't read the book actually.  The lyrics and therefore the song as a total have dropped in my estimation since.  Though I was probably too harsh on this song and most of PoM.  I'll give it a serious listen when there is less strenous stuff in my life.  PoM is a better technical masterpiece that the album before it or after it, yet I rated it lower.  Does not quite make sense.

Like __No.5 said, I like the fact that the song ends with soloing.  

For a long while this was my favourite from the album but lately I'm doubting about The Trooper as well.

This song is so powerful sounding, with those roaring riffs beating the eardrums. Speaking of drums, when Nicko starts that exciting rhythm you gotta love that tom work. It really helps the groove well. On SSOASS (the title track) this idea was used again.

The whole song is full of awesome ideas, starting with the cinematic intro (a gaze over a big sandy wasteland, dunes). The double duo collaboration and interaction in this song (right before the fast part) is pretty original, when Steve and Dave play the melody together while Adrian and Nicko hit the chords in sync. Bruce is really in top shape as well, especially when he goes high.

It's never really had any emotional connection, and overall it's somewhat underwhelming after all that came before, so I can only give it an 8.

A good song, one of the lesser epics, but it did inspire me to read Dune so I give it a 9/10

Another epic closer song. I feel that some parts are over-repeated, but nevermind, I have to give it 10/10.

Ten. The riff rocks my world, and bass line is also fuckin' awesome. Solo is one of my favorites.

Another welll deserved 10/10, perfection personified. Vocals, bass, guitars and drums all sound excellent, first rate performances. This song never gets old... epic stuff.

This shit is amazing. The atypical progressions, the darkness surrounding it, the Bruce's vocal delivery, i mean just try singing those words in that tempo and rhythm, it's insane! He excels on this track, and i've yet to hear some better vocal build up, King In Crimson's pre-chorus lines only come close. Explosion after the buildup carries a surprise, after 4 beats you expect it to explode, but then Nicko starts with snare rolls, prolonging the suspense, and then comes the instrumental part; bliss.

My favourite song of this record, together with Still Life. Fuck Trooper and other crowd favourites, Where Eagles Dare, Still Life and To Tame The Land are the very soul of this album.

T-e-n !

from 6 to 7... again just ok, its not an immaculate piece and it sounds stopstarty which i dislike. the lyrics dont flow as well as better songs which irritates me throughout. and the guitar work bores me

9/10

Another really strong song from this album. The instrumental sections are outstanding especially Steve's bass playing. There are a lot of nines on Piece of Mind to my ears that don't quite make it to a perfect ten, and this is one of the stronger ones along with 'Revelations'. The lyrics do sound a bit ridiculous, but I'll have to read the book to make sense of them. I know Albeniz' 'Asturias' very well, and there are similar riffs here, but the main melody of 'Asturias' is never quoted exactly. 'Spanish Caravan' by the Doors steals it much more blatantly.

Yeah the bass in this song is top notch. Not having read or seen Dune (is it worth it?) it's hard to learn the lyrics and sing along, but, F the lyrics this song could be about Winnie the Pooh and it would still be a 10!

It's a great early epic, but not as mature as some of their other material. The lyrics are ridiculous, but the outstanding music more than makes up for it.

Wasn't sure where to put this, but this trailer may be of interest to Frank Herbert fans -- the great Dune movie that was never made now has a documentary showing the would-be director's vision:

Anyone else hear ROTAM when the "the time will come..." part comes around an vice-versa? I always thought that.

Back