Things about Iron Maiden that annoy you

I remember another one: Why on Earth Prodigal Son is the only song from Di' Anno's era that never was played live?! :blink:

I haven't read the entire thread so apologies if it's been said before but there is only thing thing that annoys me about Maiden and that is the refusal to change the setlist around during the tour.
They pick 16/17 songs and play them for every date, I can't see why one night they don't just decide to play say 'Powerslave' and then the next play 'Icarus', even if they kept the other 16 songs the same it'd make it a bit more unique.

A good example of a band who does this is Metallica, yes they are doing a by request tour but before that one night they might open with 'Hit the Lights' and the next 'Creeping Death' and the next 'Battery', just something like that would make a show so much better instead of having a tour of 30 identical sets

To be fair, it was general setlist variety in the first post, rather than lack of variety during a tour...

Choruses that are just the song title repeated over and over. Granted, some of my favorite IM tracks do this (Brave New World, Out of the Silent Planet), but it can feel grating and kinda lazy at times. Although the tracks that do this typically aren't the worst in their catalog.

DONTCHA THINK IMMA SAVIOR DONTCHA THINK I COULD SAVE YA DONTCHA THINK I COULD SAVE YA LIFE DONTCHA THINK IMMA SAVIOR DONTCHA THINK I COULD SAVE YA DONTCHA THINK I COULD SAVE YA LIFE DONTCHA THINK IMMA SAVIOR DONTCHA THINK I COULD SAVE YA DONTCHA THINK I COULD SAVE YA LIFEDONTCHA THINK IMMA SAVIOR DONTCHA THINK I COULD SAVE YA DONTCHA THINK I COULD SAVE YA LIFE

According to an interview in a French drum magazine in 2005, Nicko said they were planning on rehearsing Prodigal Son for the Early Days tour and would play it live if they thought it would work. I guess they didn't...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/drummer-new-iron-maiden-cd-will-be-a-concept-album/

74eiZ.gif

I was inspired by another thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing that annoys me a lot about Iron Maiden are the years 1989, 1994 and 1997.

How many bands could achieve a record of having 40 straight years of at least one live gig every single year? :confused: Well, at least not in the same neighbourhood, of course... ;)

You can even tell by those years that Maiden wasn't working well. Something is wrong with a band so perfect-to-play-live to spend 3 full years without a single gig. They didn't even bother to jam along, you know, like the Entire Population. It's just like a different world between late 85 and 1989 and the middle 1990's. And even today... if they keep playing they have a future.

Last edited:
The fact that, now we're getting live albums and DVDs after nearly every tour, plus re-releases of LAD and ME, they can't bundle the live CD and DVD together and sell as one package. I've bought the studio album and paid to see the tour, now I want the live recording. So I buy the DVD but it bugs me that I have to fork out again to get the same songs and play in the car or whatever. How many times should I be paying for the same songs?!

No, Night Prowler, they're not, and I don't. And I know that Maiden is a business that makes a lot of money and employs a lot of people. They've always maximised income from releases. Back in the '80s it was releasing every single across four formats, and that didn't matter to me as I would just buy the 12" and know I wasn't missing out. But nowadays, I just don't want to pay twice for the same live recording, once so I can watch it on my TV and once so I can listen in my car or while I work. It would be SO nice if Rod would shrug his shoulders and say "Hey, let's just put the CD in with the DVD and add a couple of pounds to the price to cover the cost".

It annoys me that Steve stopped caring about interesting bass lines after 1990. It was such a key feature for me in Maiden's music, I really miss them.

Thank you. Not only are there much less of them, I find him buried in the mix once Shirley started mixing the material for BNW. I will say on Flight 666 and En Vivo he stands out more than the album versions of the BNW thru FF songs. Seventh Son was the last album where he really seemed to kick ass.

We might have discussed a few of these points before:
http://thegreatsouthernbrainfart.com/?p=10337
I never noticed that many production issues regarding AMOLAD, but that's probably because I don't have much of an ear for that. DoD's production issues seemed a lot more glaring with how crowded and indistinct every instrument sounds.

I also find it weird how he calls AMOLAD the band's redemption album. It seems like many fans give BNW that title. AMOLAD, in my eyes, felt too repetitive in its war motifs and the composition of each track. It's probably my least favorite of the band's 21st century albums.

Back