Things about Iron Maiden that annoy you

Poor production values ever since they parted ways with Martin Birch. Writing long uninspired songs just for the sake of being long.
Couldn’t disagree more.
Calling Bravo Sierra on your complaints of longer songs. If you think it’s just for the sake of being longer then you are denying yourself the opportunity to appreciate the beauty of a gorgeously structured masterpiece. Your loss.

I think Aces High is a great opener, one of the best of all time. I don't really buy the argument that it's overused, Aces High is actually not a very commonly played song. It was obviously the opener on the World Slavery Tour, then wasn't played live again at all until 1999 with the Ed Huntour. It wasn't played again until Somewhere Back in Time. It made Maiden England, but not as an opener, and then LOTB.

So it's only been the opener four times - probably the most of any song, sure, but also, only one tour per decade. It's just that LOTB is going on so, so, so long...

*Only* four times! Haha, come on!

Even if we exclude LOTB it has still been an opener for 3 tours, which is above anything else. Plus World Slavery Tour was a very extensive one, so if we count the times Aces High was played, it will end up quite high.

As a matter of fact is a top 19 -played song, not so bad at all for a band with 152 catalogue songs prior Senjutsu.

ACES HIGH.png

*Only* four times! Haha, come on!

Even if we exclude LOTB it has still been an opener for 3 tours, which is above anything else. Plus World Slavery Tour was a very extensive one, so if we count the times Aces High was played, it will end up quite high.

As a matter of fact is a top 19 -played song, not so bad at all for a band with 152 catalogue songs prior Senjutsu.

View attachment 18774
Anytime someone close to me like a friend or girlfriend thinks my encyclopedic knowledge of Maiden is nerdy af, I have posts like this to show them. It’s amazing and I’m grateful!

I‘d prefer to hear Senjutsu instead of Aces High. Fast songs like Aces are always drowned in a huge wash of reverb and mud at the big indoor venues they‘re playing here, especially the guitars.

beauty of a gorgeously structured masterpiece. Your loss.

AMOLAD is one of my top albums.
I would like to ask you do you feel that another run of verse/chorus/intro on the end makes the song, or is it just repetition and not some "gorgeously structured" piece.

The most obvious example are some of the shortest songs on a shortest Iron Maiden album. Another Life is the song that has one verse and it fully repeats, even the lyrics. One can claim it's thematically tied, repetition is another life sort of a thing, but it really comes down to being an excuse.

There's nothing wrong with repetition, it is the most integral part of the music.
However, one of the best songs Maiden have done, Lord of Light and Thousand Suns, songs are done before they're done. There's no need to wrap up everything again after the instrumental.

Back