Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 05/10/08)

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 09/02/07)

Well it is definitely a problem of my connection, I have problems all the time. This time, it worked eventually :) And yes, I like your version :)

Your rendition of Look for the Truth is stunning, so good that it appeals to me just a little teensy bit more than the original  :eek:. Maybe its just that its a great acoustic song and had Maiden recorded it all in acoustics...ah well, great job, my favorite from your repertoire to date!  :)

there really good, i like Hallowed be thy name as its my favourite maiden song. :ok:

I'm not as tempted to suggest as Natalie that this rendition is more appealing than the original, but it is a blinding job nonetheless. I think this is a step up from some of the previous ones (not that they were bad, it's just this is really quite good). What does help is a lot of The X Factor stuff (been dark and moody) sounds just as fresh done acoustically.

Any time someone says they like it better than the original I take it as a huge compliment, even though I naturally can't agree with it. The originals are the definitive for me and I only hope to imitate a shadow of their genius, I could never hope to surpass them.

I agree, albie, The X Factor is the one Maiden album that translates perfectly to acoustic on practically every track and it is a great deal of fun to play. I'm already looking forward to recording the next track from it :)

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 11/02/07)

Alright man ! :)

*Headbanging to acoustic music over here* ;)

Love the harmony-vocals and the high guitar notes !

Great to hear, Forostar. I would love to see people headbanging to my stuff!  :D

I really like your version of Prowler  :D

And as Forostar has already said, Great harmoney vocals!!

*also headbanging*  :bigsmile:

The use of harmony vocals remind me a lot of the band called Bad Religion (old punk rock band from the States with an excellent singer, still going strong)!

ohgar_boy : I only use one mike, and it is a Samson Q1U USB. I started using it when I recorded The Clansman, 10 songs ago now, but I wish I'd bought it before I started the whole project, because unfortunately all the songs recorded previously to me getting it, although well-played, sound quite muffled in comparison :( Och well...

Forostar : I know and love Bad Religion, and I can see where you're coming from. I believe every member of that band sings so the harmonies are very rich and varied. My personal favourite albums from them are Stranger Than Fiction, The Gray Race and No Substance. Superb stuff!

Thingfish said:
Forostar : I know and love Bad Religion, and I can see where you're coming from. I believe every member of that band sings so the harmonies are very rich and varied. My personal favourite albums from them are Stranger Than Fiction, The Gray Race and No Substance. Superb stuff!

I am a bigger fan of their older work, but also love The Gray Race ! A lot of backing vocals are by lead singer Greg Graffin, I think. Nice to know that you appreciate Bad Religion and it also explains (imo) your interpretation of Maiden's work on your acoustic recordings. BR mostly created their songs with acoustic guitars and recorded them with electronic instruments. Ironic that you do the opposite process with the Maiden's catalogue ! :)

Do you know some demo's of Bad Religion ? Most of them are acoustic and I think you might like them !

Yes, Greg does a few backing harmonies, as does Brett Gurewitz and the drummer (forgotten his name). When I saw them live in Berlin 9 years ago, they all sang, which was cool :) I don't have the acoustic demos you mention, but I'll keep a look out for them!

Thingfish said:
I don't have the acoustic demos you mention, but I'll keep a look out for them!

I think you'll enjoy them !

Dear Thingfish, would it be possible to have an accoustic version of "For the Greater Good of God" any soon? I'm very interested in hearing your version of this piece, because I like it almost as I love "Sign of the Cross" which is my most favourite Maiden track :)

Belenor : Yes, it would be possible. I will be doing all of the songs eventually. I have already chosen the next track and have numerous requests for the one after that, so we'll see :)

Good job on Prowler, Thingfish. Only just listened to it last night. This leaves just Sanctuary left to record - and Dianno is done. :D

Albie said:
Good job on Prowler, Thingfish. Only just listened to it last night. This leaves just Sanctuary left to record - and Dianno is done. :D

Still some b-sides ?

Yes, you're right - I was limiting it to just the albums, but some b-sides have yet to be done. :)

Back