Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 05/10/08)

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 16/01/07)

The great thing about Maiden is that any songs the guys think are not that good are actually still absolute classics! It would be a dream for me for them to play a gig of only the songs they didn't really like that much! I guess I will need to record those songs for them :)

Thingfish said:
Btw, I noticed whilst recording it that the melody line of the instruments in the chorus is practically the same as the opening verse melody from the theme song of the timeless Anime classic series 'Dogtanian & The Three Muskahounds'!  If any of you used to watch that series, go back and listen to the music and then the Invaders chorus!

Bloody hell, that was a brilliant cartoon.  Anyway, Invaders was far better than I anticipated; perfect levelling of instruments, and the tone and tempo were just right.  Loved the gang vocals in the chorus as well; you should try some Ensiferum! :p

Thanks, Raven. For the 'gang' vocals I had the idea of ruffian barbarians drunkenly shouting the names of their favourite things to do. Seems to have come out quite well :D

Do you plan on covering Brucie doing 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath'?  It is one of my favourite Sabbath songs and Bruce's vocals are phenomenal.  I know that he did it with Godspeed and not Maiden, but still.  (I suppose this is just as unreasonable as requesting you to cover 'Tears of the Dragon'.)

No, I'm afraid it's not on the schedule. This is just Maiden ones.

Thingfish said:
For the 'gang' vocals I had the idea of ruffian barbarians drunkenly shouting the names of their favourite things to do. Seems to have come out quite well :D

Like I said...Ensiferum. :p

Thingfish, what can i say......the solo in invaders is just fantastic, what a song excellent again.

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 21/01/07)

I'm loving it!  :ok: Nice percussion too.  The song lends itself nicely to acoustic melodies and around the fire sing-along kinda song.  Have a praise.

The percussion on this is quite the ticket, good backing vocals as well. It is quite a jumpy number and, as pointed out by Genghis, a real "around the campfire sing-a-long" type song.

Incidentally, this was the first track I ever heard by Maiden. :D

good !

I like your voice, but I think you need to find your real style of expressing yourself in singing
very clever percussion
I have the impression that you recorded 2 times the accords parts, (it gives some volume) am I right ?

Thanks, guys, I like doing percussion like that :)

no5 : Unlike some of other songs, I cut back on the background guitar parts on this one, but yes, I did record the chords twice, once in each ear.

Thingfish said:
no5 : Unlike some of other songs, I cut back on the background guitar parts on this one, but yes, I did record the chords twice, once in each ear.

I do the same in some of my recordings, it gives -as I quoted- an increase of volume
very mysterious to be detected

it works with the vocals also, try it !!

The reason for doing so is that, if you record only one track and put it in both ears, it actually sounds as though it appears in the centre, but when you record two it does appear separately in each ear. And yes, I already do that for my vocals as well :)

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 24/01/07)

o my that was great :lol: id love to hear the real version of that but i cant find it anywhere. :(
listened to running free and invaders both are really well done and two more songs left to do for iron maiden!!

Thanks, Prisoner, glad you enjoyed them! Check your PMs, too!! :)

I have listened to this little silly song only a few times, and then not very closely.  When you stripped it down to its essentials, I found the guitar to be similar to 'Smokestack Lightning' by Howling Wolf.  This should not be surprising as both songs are intended to be bluesy. 

Good work.  I like bluesy guitars (most of the time) including solos.  It was funny to hear you swear.

Of course, this song is based on an absolutely standard blues riff, but yes Howling Wolf is very much in that mould. Glad you like my swearing! :)

Back