Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 05/10/08)

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 24/01/07)

That was pretty much the most fun I've had listening to one of your renditions. Good job. I have to admit, I too thought it funny to hear just how huge she was. :D

Great to hear, albie. I guess that is more like my own guitaring style when I'm not playing Maiden, especially the solos, so that's maybe why it sounds one of the more natural ones.

Hmmm, no Hunlord replies this year as yet, although I see from last.fm he's been listening this week...Good to see I rank above Judas Priest in his current list :)

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 03/02/07)

Nice one. I liked the way you replaced the gun sound in the middle of the song.  :D  And the layering of the voices at the end of the song was a nice touch.

Nice work as usual, although I'm not sure what to make of the knocking sounds you used around the middle. Interesting, but they didn't really convince me. Planning on doing Flight of Icarus sometime?  :innocent:

Thanks, guys. Sorry, Natalie, but it is rather difficult to recreate the sound of fake machine gun fire using just a guitar :) I tried my best  :p

Thingfish said:
I tried my best  :p

Thats what counts I guess. B)

Oh yes and Nodding Donkey Blues was great, I loved it. What I really liked about it was that it sounded as if you were having a great time too.  :p

I like the invention of the drum intro (and the machine gun in the guitar break). The original has some great guitar work which you have done nicely.

Another good job all round. :ok:

Natalie : Yes, I had a great time recording that song. That's the kind of style I love playing and am probably better at that actually playing Maiden's style.

Albie : Thanks again! When one only has ones own legs to make effective drum sounds, one has to do what one can :)

Your voice is better than Brucie's.  I can understand you, while I need lyrics sheets when listening to the [original] song.  I like the fake gun fire sound.  It convinced me.  Guitars are great as usual.  I think this is one of your best; even better than Running Free.  :ok:

Genghis Khan said:
Your voice is better than Brucie's.
Much as I think Think Thingfish is a technically very good guitarist and his work here is worthy of many praises, he does not come any way near to the vocal ability of Bruce - few do. :D

Damn!  I timed out and need to retype. 

Thingfish' version of singing is understandable, while Bruce's is not, not nearly as much.  I realize this partially has to do with the fact that Bruce needs to have a more metal-like scream when singing which Thingfish does not need (or want) for an acoustic piece.  I think Bruce could have done a better job on the song, and would have if he'd re-recorded it today.  As far as the original song goes, the music is awesome, the singing not so.

EDIT: I did not mean to imply that Thingfish has a wider range than Bruce, which is not true.  No offence meant, Thingfish.

I see you point here, Genghis. Quite possibly it may be down to the fact that Thingfish has recorded his take on each track a fraction slower - thus making the vocals a little bit more comprehensible.

Or it may just be that I speak more clearly than Bruce :) But no, my voice is nowhere near even a fraction of the amazingness of Bruce's. Remember he is singing those lyrics a full octave above me and holds the final top E in full voice (something quite incredible).

My version is recorded along with the original album version, hence why you might think it is slower after years of listening to live versions.

It's difficult to recreate fake machine guns, though. And I'll have to do it again for various other war songs :)

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 09/02/07)

Well, after some time being off I've tried to get the last two, I have some troubles downloading Look for the Truth, but Where Eagles Dare is incredible! Yes. I hope my connection will stop making problems, because I believe the newest piece will be as great as the eagles.

Look For The Truth is a great rendition of the original song :) Nice guitar playing (as usual), and your voice fits perfectly with the slow intro  :bigsmile:

Thank you both, much obliged :D Hope the connection problems clear up for you Belenor. It may just be the Putfile site, so once my colleague in the States gets the mp3 up for downloading on his site http://www.notb.org/thingfish you'll hopefully get it there more easily.

:ok:

Back