Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 05/10/08)

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 28/08/06)

You know, mate, I'm gunna take a few of these and play drums to them... another day. Gunna pick out a CD's Worth.

dude you are a genious! :o

Many thanks for these kind comments, guys! It's great to have stimulated and appreciative listeners!

Yax : If Bruce heard these, I think he would rather laugh at the vocals than praise them, but at least I'm better on the guitar than he is!  :ph34r:

Well Thingfish, I finally got round to giving it a listen and I'm impressed with your effort once again. You've done a good job in the way you've built the song up to reach the first chorus (what is the chosen method to simulate the drums here?). Vocally, this is very good and the guitar playing excellent (but you've heard that from me so many times).

Well, I've listened to all your AMoLaD recordings, and so far, I have to say (sadly) that The Longest Day is the worst of them, in my opinion.  That's not to say that it's bad, but you picked a very ambitious track to try, especially in the vocals, and the numerous effects laden on the original don't quite come through here.  That said, I think that the original version suffers from problems, as well...it sounds a bit restrained, as if the band weren't sure of themselves.  But I can imagine it being blinding live. :ok:

Still, I like Ben Breeg and Different World as much as any of your others, and I look forward to hearing your take on Brighter Than a Thousand Suns...which happens to be my favourite track from the new album! :D

Albie : Many thanks again :) The drums here were done by hitting my bare knees with my fists! Ah, the secrets of genius!!  :ph34r: Hehe.

Raven : No problem if it's not your fave, the vocals are indeed very difficult to emulate on this song. I don't know if it's that the band were restrained on the original or that the production simply couldn't bring out the best in the track, but you're right about the live version, though, it will be incredible!

listened to some songs... very nice guitarwork, but the vocals range between tolerable and terrible. maybe you should try to stop emulating the original singer and rather just be yourself...
anyway, nice effort :)

I don't try to emulate the original singers intentionally, except for the odd 'Di'Anno-ism' I do. It is far too difficult to emulate them accurately, especially Bruce, so what you hear is pretty much my singing style. As I advise on the site, however, I know I'm not a good singer and I ask you to forgive that fact.

well in the longest day intro it really sounded to me like you were emulating bruce, but whatever :) it's not as if i could do better or anything  ^_^

Hey! ThingFish, I started drumming to the tracks, and it's going well.. I just have to practice them... for a lot of the songs it's my first time playing the tracks... Soon enough, though, I'll post atleast 5 tracks with drum tracks added to them. I'm using an electric kit, though, so it MAY not be exactly the right drum sound. So sue me ;)

Wondering if you could get around to Aces High sometime? That'd be a blast.

Ohgar : Stealing my copyrighted work for your own ends, eh?  ;)  ;) I'll be interested to hear them, but may have to ban their distribution if the drumming outshines the songs!!  ^_^

Thingfish said:
Ohgar : Stealing my copyrighted work for your own ends, eh?  ;)  ;) I'll be interested to hear them, but may have to ban their distribution if the drumming outshines the songs!!  ^_^

Trust me, mate, I'm no star drummer... There'll be plenty of mistakes.  ;)

Back after an extended hiatus which was compounded by a number of factors including broken tuning nuts, broken strings and a small holiday :)

Here's a song off...uhh...Piece Of Mind, this one...Written about religion, or about washing your car...actually it's about opening a pair of curtains...

...song's called "Revelations", this one!!!!!

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 15/09/06)

And very good it is indeed thingfish.  I was wondering when you were going to get back to the drawing board, so to speak :)

Thanks, Conor! I've been fairly busy in the evenings recently so it's been hard to find enough time, but I've also started work on the next track (actually I started it before doing Revelations), but it's a toughie to play certain sections on acoustic, so I need to alter the arrangement somewhat...

Brilliant stuff as always, I love the little little lead bits that you put in the verse great stuff! The harmonising that you've done with yourself while singing the choruses is just :ok: Looking foreward to the next one :D

Another favourite of mine, done nicely. Agree with Hunlord on the verse bits and I appreciate the singing specials too. Confident soloing too. :)

I'd say Hunlord has said what is needed already. Great work mate! :applause:

As usual, all my thanks, guys :) As with all my tunes, it comes off best through headphones rather than speakers, where the voice seems a little prominent, but as I listen to my stuff mainly on headphones, that's how I mix it :)

Hunlord : I do tend to like adding little lead parts to compliment vocal lines, and I'm glad it seemed to work this time too!

Did you notice at 3:08 in the song I added a small lead section to the harmony of the part on Live After Death where Bruce says "Los Angeles, can you feel it?" Just something for the absolute hardcore fan out there to notice, I guess, but I always think of that link when I hear this song :)

The guitar work from around 2:11 is so good. Good all round effort once again. :ok:

Back