Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 05/10/08)

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 06/08/06)

Great job man !

Finally, I get to listen to "Murders in the Rue Morgue" (Morgue, now why does that ring a bell? ;)).

Another good job done here, I like the pace you've sung and played on this. Once again, great guitar work. :ok:

As a footnote, I'm a little sad that you won't be doing "Mission from 'Arry" :( But your list (at first glance at least) looks complete.

Hehe, thanks, albie. I won't be doing 'Arry because there are no acoustics in it!  ^_^

However, I hope you'll find my latest offering to your liking...it certainly took the most work I've ever put into one of these acoustic versions, but I think it worked out rather well, indeed, possibly the best I've done overall...

'Sign Of The Cross' added!!!

:o :o :o :o :o

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 08/08/06)

Love Sign Of The Cross. The georgian chant at the start rules. Well done

Hehe, Gregorian, not Georgian ;) Yes, I like the way they came out. There are 9 background monk voices, 2 whispering voices and 12 lead monk voices :D

you are the nº4 guitar  of maiden ! xD

Sign of the Cross, quite possibly one of Maidens best epics ever.

Great job again, Thingfish. I do think you style of play is really suited to this track. :ok:

Thanks, albie, yes I think so too. Hope you enjoyed my Latin skills in the chants at the beginning :) I also liked doing the vocal harmonies on the chorus, with its 'Tierce de Picardie' at the end which is not in the original song.

Seems like Shadow, Maverick, Hunlord, Conor, SilentLucidity, Silky, national acrobat, Perun or LooseCannon don't post here anymore  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Yeah... :innocent:

Anyway, I really enjoyed the two recent ones, 'Murders In The Rue Morgue' and 'Sign Of The Cross'. Wicked guitar work as usual, dedicated singing too - the Blaze part here suits you even more than Paul's. I also like the new page layout  ;)

Thingfish I really like your versions of Iron Maiden songs.  -_-
You should send them to a record company and publish your own tribute album.

Great job!

Hehe, thanks for posting, guys :) Good to see new faces in this thread!  ^_^

Thingfish said:
Seems like Shadow, Maverick, Hunlord, Conor, SilentLucidity, Silky, national acrobat, Perun or LooseCannon don't post here anymore  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Well, you still got me ^_^. Now, just laid back and enjoy my words of encouragement. As usual, it's great work. I guess this song took you at least 15 hours to make? The backingvocals sounds great, and the intro with the chants are extremely well done. As for the solo, It's ever so great! I, as a guitar beginner, really do envy your guitarskills. 97/100 points with this song. 

I'm just curious, how long have you been playing guitar? 

Have a praise, a cookie (Yes, even two!) and my eternal admiration.

I like your version of "Sign of the Cross" but pardon me for saying that I burst out laughing at the chanting.  Almost as cheesy as "Sun and Steel" :P

Yax : The song took about 7 hours in total, maybe more. I've been playing guitar for 19 years :)

Conor : As I recall, 'Sun & Steel' is your favourite acoustic version of mine. What does that say about you?  :wacko: However, how did you expect the chanting to sound if not that way. I'm only one person doing them :)

Thingfish, I've been spying on you.
I've recorded all the guitars and the solo for my acoustic version of it, just need to do some sundry additions and the vocals tonight and then I'll put it up over at http://www.putfile.com/thingfishy with all the others

Unfortunately, I learn them by ear so don't write any tablature, but hope you have a listen anyway

I can't wait to hear your interpretation of the song!

Thingfish said:

Sorry, Thingfish, I've been down in the 'Free State' with no access to a computer for the last few days, and was a  way in France before that.  I'm listening to Sign of the Cross at the minute, and I have to say you are a master of guitar.  The chants are great-you've got the correct subtleties and levelling throughout, and the uplifting interlude sounds just right as well.  I'm not a great fan of the Tierce de Picardy you used in the chorus, though.  While theoretically, the technique should suit this song, which is supposed to be a contrast of major/minor, melancholy/euphoria, and while it does lend it the semblance of a plagal cadence (a technique used in church music), which is what I thought it was at first, I prefer the original version.  However, this doesn't detract from the overall brilliance of the piece...once again, you surpass yourself!  I have but to hear Paschendale and I think I can say that no more! :ok:

As for Murders in the Rue Morgue, it was equally brilliant, but SotC blasted it right out of my mind, sorry! :(

Thanks, Silky. Sorry you didn't like the Tierce de Picardie, but I loved it in this context and especially to change it from the original. I don't feel it make the song any less solemn but, as you say, like hymns with major sections, gives it an extra penance.

And Conor, you sneaky wee spy! Here it is for you. Just to show I'm nothing if not contemporary...

'Different World' added!!!

^_^

Thingfish said:
'Different World' added!!!
Un-freekin'-believable. How have you learnt it in that short time? I've not even got into the original yet, so bare with me on my thoughts. ;)

Back