Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 05/10/08)

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new Track Added : 15/06/06)

I didn't add any extra Greekness to the instrumental section, albie, I went for the same solos as in the original. Maybe it comes across more Greek on acoustic instruments.

Maybe it's the way I interpret it, but it does give a Greek feel to me. I listened again to the original and yours back to back and whilst you have done the solos as the original maybe doing it acoustic does give it a Greek feel. Quite possibly, 'Arry wrote it on an acoustic guitar and thought the same. ;)

'Arry writing the solos?

Blasphemer :angry:

I believe that 'Arry hums melody lines from solos to the guitarists whilst showing them his bass parts! :) I doubt he works them out in detail, but he does come up with solo ideas.

Anyway, enjoy my version of some of his best writing...

'The Loneliness Of The Long-Distance Runner' added!!!

:o :o :o :o :o

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new Track Added : 17/06/06)

Conor said:
'Arry writing the solos?

Blasphemer :angry:
No, no, I didn't mean he writes the solos. I meant the writing of the melodies, riffs, etc. And if it was written on an acoustic, then that is the premise of my comment.

There are times I write complete and utter nonsense when posting at night. :help:

I wonder why :cheers:

Thingfish said:
Anyway, enjoy my version of some of his best writing...

'The Loneliness Of The Long-Distance Runner' added!!!

:o :o :o :o :o
I shall be giving this a spin sometime today. -_-

Possibly my favourite Maiden song and you've done it justice. Excellent solos in the middle, they were sending shivers down my spine :ok: Just out of curiousity, how long does it take you to record a song fully?

It is very satisfying to know I've done my job well, Hunlord. I'm very glad it affects you in that way!

The amount of time required to record a song depends on a number of factors, not only on the original song's length. Since I need to record at least 4 parts playing the entire song (one background guitar for each of the three speakers and one for the bass), then usually 3 lead guitar parts, 2 to 3 solo parts, 1 to 3 vocal parts and then extras such as effects, harmonies etc, the whole process is exponentially longer. There is then naturally the mixing and edits to do afterwards.

'Loneliness...' took about 4/1/2 hours, 'Rime...' about 7 hours, but shorter ones like 'Genghis Khan' also took about 4 hours due to the complex nature of the guitar work and getting it up to speed etc. Of course, the total time allows includes me learning solos I've never examined in detail before, but as I do them by ear, it's not too laborious. The hardest ones to emulate are Janick's because they are so vague and random. In those instances I will copy the section out of the original, open it in Windows Media Player and use the time warp effect to slow them down yet keep the same notes. For Janick's ones, however, I often end up just improvising a solo as the originals are one-offs. :)

'Loneliness' is another gem. I love the licks in the chorus and you made them truly beautiful. The solos are great too. -_-

What the last couple of tracks have done is to make me listen to "Somewhere in Time" in a different light. I never really got into the album in a big way, ever - although I found the odd track on it a real blinder - and it remains one of the few Maiden albums I rarely listen to in its entirety without skipping the odd track. Maybe it's the way you've recorded these tracks, Thingfish, that has helped. Although I have never doubted Maiden's writing ability, but to listen to it done in the acoustic way has highlighted just how good the songs really are.

Another good job :ok:

Cheers for the info Thingfish, all your hard work is very appreciated by me and many others I'm sure :D

Albie : That's great to hear. I hope my versions bring something extra that give you enhanced enjoyment of the original, such as where you notice me doing something different in the song and then listening to the original to hear exactly how it should be played! :) Hehe. I've now done three from that album, so I'll likely move on to a different album where I've done fewer, but I'll be back for more!

Thanks too, Hunlord!

Re: Thingfish's Acoustic Maiden Covers (new track added : 19/06/06)

Brilliant as usual.

This is one of my fav's from Killers and you've done another fine job of it. Here on this track the vocals are very easy going, but work. :ok:

Do you have an acoustic bass for the bass lines?

Love that ending. :D

This is a song I love and your version is simply brilliant. The riff is more poignant with the sound of the strings, the solos are just beautiful! Shivers down my spine, mate. -_- :-[

Excellent version yet again. I love the breakdown in the middle, just beautiful :ok: The ending is also brilliant, an lovely finish to a great rendition :D

Albie : The vocals are easy-going here because they are not really in my range in the original one. I could have done an octave above the way I sang it, but my voice gets quite reedy up there :) No, I used the same acoustic guitar for the bass as for the guitar parts.

SL : Your spine is quite often shivered, it seems  -_- Maybe it's just my stuff that does it?  ^_^

Hunlord : The ending turned out rather nicely, yes. I was pleased with that!

Thingfish said:
SL : Your spine is quite often shivered, it seems  -_- Maybe it's just my stuff that does it?  ^_^
Music with feeling is definitely one of the things that do it for me. I'm sure that I'm not alone. -_-

No, you're not. Maiden does it to me the most, and there's usually something about every track that does it! :)

SilentLucidity said:
Music with feeling is definitely one of the things that do it for me. I'm sure that I'm not alone. -_-
You're certainly not. ;)

Thingfish said:
No, I used the same acoustic guitar for the bass as for the guitar parts.
Is it down-tuned or something (any answer should bear in mind I have very basic musical knowledge - i.e. I can play all the major chords on a guitar, that is it ;))

Back