The Wicker Man

How good is The Wicker Man on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A really ripping riff opens up Brave New World in the form of "The Wicker Man". The song launches the album well, introducing Maiden's new three guitar lineup and reintroducing both Bruce and Adrian back in the band. It's a great rocker with a lot of great pieces to it, yet somehow it's also the worst song on the album. And it's still strong as fuck. 8

The video’s shit but it’s an absolute belter of a return from Bruce and Adrian and demonstrates exactly what the band had been missing for a while. Nicos drum sound is quality. Glad they stuck with Janick, hes helped write some of maidens best tunes.

While I like Rock in Rio, it's a bit of a shame that became the one and only document of the BNW tour. I can't help but think they were much better throughout the tour.

A great riff opens this classic. The verses and the chorus are superb. Adrian's solo is a highlight (one of his best). The melody that Dave do under the chorus is also great. The ''oh-oh'' part is perfect to end the song. Awesome riff and drums. One of the best songs from the reunion era and overall one of the best songs (and openers) of Maiden. Instant classic! Top 10 song for me, soooo... 10/10

Reactions: Yax
Yes, I always thought that the chorus was the part that destroyed the song.
Thetre is also this version with a shorter solo

It's a interview about Senjutsu, but different version of The Wicker Man is mentioned

"a record company representative tried to put some Def Leppard-like backing vocals on it but Steve said no thank you"

I'm gonna guess that's the radio edit that exists somewhere online.

It's a interview about Senjutsu, but different version of The Wicker Man is mentioned

"a record company representative tried to put some Def Leppard-like backing vocals on it but Steve said no thank you"

Yep, US Promo, there's a shorter edit too

Reactions: Gk1

Def Leppard like?

I don't think that's it, I mean I never intentionally listened to Leppard in my life I don't know what's their backing vocals thing, but this is same vibe and same type of harmonization used throughout the album, most prominently in the Fallen Angel. For me personally, sounds like what Roy Z does with Bruce solo. What is the difference between this harmony and River of No Return's chorus?

Also the noodeling guitar kills the energy in the otherwise very riff accented chorus.

Yes, the album had A&R people involved, they are even credited in the booklet.

Some members on this forum didn't like it when I suggested their involvement in the arrangements of the songs though, a few months ago.

But it is true then. Their work on the production propably helped a bit with securing a major label for the U.S market with Colombia. That was a challenge at the time (The X Factor, Virtual XI, Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding had to be released on independent label CMC International for example).

Last edited:
Interesting.

I hear it completely opposite. The original has a poppy, 'catchy' guitar line all over choruses because the vocals don't convey the melody very well. Not supposed to, it's kinda of a blunt belt out perfectly done against the background beat and riff. Harris comes and puts guitar line in the chorus so it would reinforce the melody at the expense of raw energy and the single is released.

That's how I looked at it. Certainly, Smith did not write that guitar doodle part, he doesn't write such things.

Again that kind of vocal harmonization in present in Brave New World elsewhere in heavier deep cuts and all over the place in Bruce's albums...

I’ve always preferred this variant of the song — the extra lines in the chorus fill in the empty space with some neat harmonies, and the mildly annoying two-note guitar bit in the chorus is only used at the end for extra emphasis.

Hi, I've reopened this song for voting, after resetting the votes.

Please add your vote for this song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.

7/10

This is a song that had more ludicrous expectation and pressure upon it than literally any other Iron Maiden song ever. And for it to more or less live up to that hype is worth a 10 on its own. No, I don't think the song itself is a 10, since I'm not giving out ratings based on importance. Still, though, this is a song absolutely worth remembering. Great riffs, great feel and great solo from Adrian.

YOUR TIME WILL COME.

Great opener for a great album. The solo is well regarded as one of Adrian's most finest works. The theme is great too, I watched the movie and I liked it a lot.
Chorus not a favorite or the oooh -oooh section in the end.

Last edited:
Based on this track, you probably wouldn’t believe that the next 20 years of Maiden’s career would be focused heavily on proggy epics and songs that are filled to the brim with content. The Wicker Man is tight, heavy, and rocks hard. It’s the quintessential short rocker. Great riffs, great chorus, amazing guitar work. Nicko also sounds totally energized on this, that kick drum! There are a lot of Maiden cliches in here. Namely the E C G D progression and the woah oh ohs in the final chorus, but they’re used to maximum effect. The lyrics are somewhat vague, but I think it works. The imagery is evocative and the lyrics seem to paint the picture of a character with determination who is in a pivotal moment. I imagine Bruce had a finger on his pulse while writing this.

Back