1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Wicker Man

Discussion in 'Brave New World' started by Anonymous, Apr 5, 2004.

?

How good is The Wicker Man on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

31.6%
  2. 9

36.8%
  3. 8

23.7%
  4. 7

5.3%
  5. 6

2.6%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Fugazi

Fugazi Alchemist

An excellent opener, rocking song, plenty of energy, good all round soild song, 9/10.

2. 10. Great song, nice rocker and great chorus.

3. Revelations85

Revelations85 Trooper

10/10. One of my favourite rockers.

4. Ray K.

Ray K. Invader

If you are going to make a comeback, this is the way to do it. I love the energy and drive to this song. Lyrically it works for me. It was a successfully updated sound. Different but familiar. The hook is eerie to me but in a good way. I always enjoy listening to this song. It is still probably my favorite or at least one of my favorites of the newer albums 8.5/10

5. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

Ah, Wicker Man...my first, my last, my always and forever.

Catchiest solo in any Maiden song. Amazing chorus.

10. 10. 10.

6. Eric Wright

Eric Wright Nomad

Oh my god. What can I say. Best opener in all of Maiden's discography. Adrian's solo, the chorus swelling the emotion, that epic intro. I'd imagine oit's a killer live.

10/10

MrKnickerbocker likes this.
  7. Saapanael

Saapanael "My hair sets the trend of tmrw by doing it today"

I feel that this song gets more appreciation than some that deserve it more but the solo makes Wicker Man a 9/10.

8. TheMeat

TheMeat Invader

Wicker Man is probably the song that made me get back into listening to Maiden again after a 5 or 6 year break during the late 90's so it definitely is something special to me.
    It's catchy, melodic, absolutely rocking and has a great solo.....all topped off with a huge sing along section at the end. Brilliant10/10

9. Gk1

Gk1 Ancient Mariner

The solo and the vocals are brilliant.The chorus is awful and of course repeated to death

10. Eddieson

Eddieson Nomad

This song hits you like a train! The riff is simple, yet effective. The production is huge. Bruce is back, and he sings with such conviction, and the vocals almost sounds like a controlled and matured version of Be Quick Or Be Dead. The chorus in anthemic, but it miss the extra vocals I've heard in other versions. The guitar section by Adrian is excellent, and he proves why the band needs him. The song feels like it belongs to Bruce and Adrian, and they are both shining through-out the song.

My only complaints are the chorus which could have been better, and the repetition, they didn't need to double the chorus at the end.

8/10

Isolated vocals and guitar solo

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  11. Gk1

Gk1 Ancient Mariner

I think this is better that what we got on the album. It is not just the different chorus but the sound as well. I like the drum sound better.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  12. Chazz Chetly

Chazz Chetly Captain Charisma

I agree with this Youtube comment from the radio edit video.

13. Chazz Chetly

Chazz Chetly Captain Charisma

Well I'm dumb. I've been listening to this song for years, and never once interpreted the song as intended. Not once did I think it was uplifting, I always thought the chorus was almost sinister, a threat or a warning. I just stumbled upon this, and boy was I wrong. Changes my perspective completely, it's almost like a different song now when I hear it.

Bruce Dickinson on The Wickerman

TheTalisman likes this.
  14. Pand

Pand Ancient Mariner

An absolutely brilliant opener, and one of the songs that got me into Maiden in the first place.
    10/10

15. eddienephwrack

eddienephwrack Invader

9 - possibly my favourite track on BNW. Great song. As an aside, anyone else notice the similarity between this song's main riff and the verse riff on Futureal?

16. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

I've booted this one up to a 9. A belter of an opener.

17. TheTalisman

TheTalisman Fågel

That guitar tone <3

Keyboard during the guitar solo and outro.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    CriedWhenBrucieLeft and Forostar like this.
  18. Saapanael

I just recently recorded a guitar cover of The Wicker Man and used that video for tone reference. :p It's always good to hear the isolated instrumental parts.

19. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

What a messy noise Adrian makes at the end of (or rather after) the solo @3:14. Yaaiks. Glad that isn't audible or present in the song.

20. Saapanael

The whole solo is a bit messily performed. I think it has to do with that "not striving for perfection" mentality Maiden has when recording.