The Weather Thread

Few days ago, guy was arrested for tampering with the meteorological equipment, e.g. one of the city's measurement stations, by pouring some cold liquid over it, because he placed a lottery bet that at that hour in that particular day Split would be colder than Rijeka.

I must admit that combo of shitty weather, working from home and shutdown of social spaces is becoming really old really fast.

It seems to me like most of my life right now is on relation bedroom->workspace with a kitchen and bathroom placed conveniently in between.

I must admit that combo of shitty weather, working from home and shutdown of social spaces is becoming really old really fast.

It seems to me like most of my life right now is on relation bedroom->workspace with a kitchen and bathroom placed conveniently in between.
Yeah, I know that world. I haven't left my apartment in a week. The car needs an oil change and I have no motivation to get it done (I mean, the oil is fine, it's just at the time limit).

Yeah that's what bothers me the most, I have things on the list but they can wait and they will wait because I currently feel no satisfaction in getting them done. Getting up for work and actually working productively seems doable for now, the rest can wait for the better days.

In fact, if the house has air conditioning, then you can not think about the weather. I just lived my whole life without air conditioning and enjoyed every draft or wind. When my mother gave me an air conditioner for a housewarming party, I just fell in love with this thing. It worked all day. Of course, I turned it off in the evening so not to waste a lot of electricity. For me, it was a horror when my air conditioner stopped releasing cold air. One day, the house was still cool, but I couldn't stay in the apartment the next day because of the heat. I decided to read reasons for aircon not blowing cold air and realized that the best solution would be to hand it over for repair. I can't tell you how happy I was when the air conditioner was returned to me two days later.

Last edited:
No, A/C is horrible for your electricity bill and the environment. Probably the number one factor behind global warming or a close second to cow farts.

No, A/C is horrible for your electricity bill and the environment. Probably the number one factor behind global warming or a close second to cow farts.
It's necessary in some parts of the world. And I have absolutely no qualms about using it in Ottawa - our power is 100% hydroelectricity.

It's necessary in some parts of the world. And I have absolutely no qualms about using it in Ottawa - our power is 100% hydroelectricity.
Eh, whether or not it's a "necessity" is debatable, what isn't is that it expells heat out into the environment literally makiing it hotter. Phoenx, AZ is 10 degrees farenheit hotter than Tucson on average specifically because of A/C. Well, that and the fact that it's a concrete/asphalt jungle that RETAINS said heat from A/C.

I think it's more the latter than the former. Green breaks are so important in heat management.

I think it's more the latter than the former. Green breaks are so important in heat management.
There has been talks about green buildings that look like the modern version of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. NYC is mandating rooftop gardens in an effort to go green and combat climate change.

When it comes to U.S. I don't think superdense urban centers are to blame

q1fh8ot71r071.png

It's certainly a way to go for NYC and great addition to the cityscape. However typical suburbia (worldwide, in developed areas) is causing a lot of damage. 300m2 parcel, completely AC'ed house for a half dozen people, large kWh/head quantities, full utilities, full infrastructure, several vehicles. Elongation of all economic activity in terms of distance to be driven. As opposed to urban centers where hundreds of people live vertically on a 300m2 parcel and share the footprint, do not use vehicles for everyday things, and in a lot of cases use public transport for work.

And I see only cities 'proper' trying to implement something. The miles of suburban sprawls are still there and there is no plan about that.

Correct. Home ownership and car ownership is considered far more valuable than compactness.

Well sort of but "ownership" is binary and compactness is an attribute, so you can 'own compact'. For most of the people living in those dense environs, they own a flat or a 'city' car, that isn't used for getting the groceries.

Getting three seasons for the price of one these days here, gotta love it.
Sunburned skin peeling under my winter jacket, not bad at all.

Looks like summer is happening in June for once. You know why of course. Download is cancelled. They're holding a limited-attendance pilot festival instead (no bands I'd actually want to see), so there's always a chance for a thundery downpour or two.

So when I moved back to Mexico, the Ex signed us up for e-mails from the U.S Embassy/consulate and I still get them. I actually find them interesting. I recently got a weather warning and thought it would be fun to share it in it's entirety to get an idea how they warn their citizens abroad:

Weather Update - U.S. Embassy, Mexico City (June 7, 2021)

Event: Mexico’s hurricane season is underway. The season formally runs until November 30, though historically most cyclones develop between July and October. Hurricanes and tropical storms can cause life-threatening flash flooding, dangerous winds, treacherous surf and rip currents, and other hazardous conditions. Torrential rains from these storms can cause flooding hundreds of miles inland, sometimes persisting for several days after the storm has dissipated.

In the aftermath of a storm, there can be widespread damage to infrastructure (such as roads, electricity, and phone and internet service) and serious shortages of habitable accommodations, food, water, and medical facilities. Storms can result in airport closures or limited flight availability due to runway or terminal damage and a shortage of electricity. U.S. citizens in affected regions may face delays returning home and may even need to stay in emergency shelters with limited food, water, medicine, and other supplies.

Actions to Take:

• If you are a U.S. citizen traveling to or residing in Mexico, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive safety messages and other travel information.
  • Ensure your U.S. travel documents are up-to-date, and store copies of them along with insurance and other personal papers in a safe place. Keep them in a watertight plastic bag or container for extra protection.
  • Obtain travel insurance to cover unexpected expenses. If a situation requires an evacuation from a location abroad, the U.S. Department of State might work with commercial airlines to ensure that U.S. citizens can depart as safely and efficiently as possible. U.S. law requires that any evacuation costs are your responsibility.
  • For those living in Mexico, prepare your family’s emergency hurricane kit to include essential items you might need for at least 72 hours following a storm if you were unable to access outside resources. Kits might include batteries, flashlights, nonperishable food, and water. Don’t forget to consider prescription medications and any other supplies for children, elderly family members, or pets.
  • Review the CDC’s guidelines for Going to a Public Disaster Shelter During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
  • Monitor the U.S. National Hurricane Center, the Mexican National Meteorological Service (Servicio Meteorológico Nacional), and the Mexican National Center for the Prevention of Disasters (“Centro Nacional de Prevención de Desastres”) for updates on storm activity and emergency response.
  • If a storm watch or warning is issued, monitor the local news for updates, follow directions from local officials, and in case of emergency call 911.
  • Keep your friends and loved ones up to date about your whereabouts—via phone, text, or social media—and let them know you are safe when possible.
  • Visit the Department of State’s Hurricanes, Typhoons, and Cyclones page for more information.
Assistance:

• For Emergency Assistance for U.S. citizens in Mexico, call (55) 8526 2561 from Mexico or 1-844-528-6611 from the United States.
  • State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
  • Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Follow the U.S. Embassy in Mexico on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Review the Crime and Safety Reports for Mexico.
  • Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.

Summer is here in Texas ... AC in my office is set to 68 and probably not moving off that until September

Back