The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

Earplugs! Don't pull a Brian Johnson...
There is no such a thing at IM concert. The loudest thing on stage is Nicko and a bit of bass. Angus Young alone runs more cabinets than Jan, H and Dave combined (9 Amps, 18 cabinets, all on, crancked).

On the other hand I can see Maiden rotating Hallowed and Wrathchild on the double dates, the first one coming tomorrow.

They didn't remove them last year. It sounds better when Bruce syncs himself up better with the track. But most of the time it just sounds muddled.
yep, I know about last year. I meant that they did not even take the time to change it in the time between tours.

PS: Damn, I listened to COTD. Bruce sounds bad!!!

Last edited:
not sure if you all saw the new tour shirts featuring more dark ink creations. One has "Shadows of the Valley" on the front and "Hallowed be thy name" on the back.....

There is no such a thing at IM concert. The loudest thing on stage is Nicko and a bit of bass. Angus Young alone runs more cabinets than Jan, H and Dave combined (9 Amps, 18 cabinets, all on, crancked).

On the other hand I can see Maiden rotating Hallowed and Wrathchild on the double dates, the first one coming tomorrow.

Same with Tony Iommi, he sounds louder and heavier than Adrian, Dave and Jan combined. Especially when he tuned down for Ozzy's voice on Black Sabbath's last tour when I saw them last year.

Guitars used on songs:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Dave---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------H---------------------------------------------------------------Jan--------------------------
If Eternity Should Fail-----------------Custom shop Stratocaster in Arctic White, 22 fret maple fingerboard, DM pickguard----------------Jackson Prototype, maple fingerboard, black pickguard---------------------Epiphone Black Beauty
Speed Of Light---------------------------Custom shop Stratocaster in Arctic White, 22 fret maple fingerboard, DM pickguard----------------Jackson Prototype, ebony fingerboard, white pickguard--------------------Olympic White Strat (wireless)
Wrathchild-------------------------------Custom shop Stratocaster in Arctic White, 22 fret maple fingerboard, DM pickguard-----------------Jackson Prototype, ebony fingerboard, white pickguard--------------------Black Strat
Children Of The Damned-------------Custom shop 70's Stratocaster in Black, 22 fret ebony fingerboard, zebra humbuckers---------------Jackson Prototype, ebony fingerboard, white pickguard--------------------Black Strat
Death Or Glory--------------------------Custom shop 70's Stratocaster in Black, 22 fret ebony fingerboard, zebra humbuckers---------------Jackson Prototype, ebony fingerboard, white pickguard--------------------Olympic White Strat (wireless)
The Red And The Black---------------Les Paul Axcess---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jackson Custom Shop AS, Green Sunburst-------------------------------------Black Strat
The Trooper------------------------------Les Paul Axcess---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jackson Custom Shop AS, Green Sunburst Sunburst------------------------Fender Strat (El Dorado 2010), maybe now with Jbjr
Powerslave--------------------------------Les Paul Axcess---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jackson Prototype, ebony fingerboard, white pickguard--------------------Arctic White Strat, all pickups now white
The Great Unknown-------------------Custom shop Stratocaster in Arctic White, 22 fret maple fingerboard, DM pickguard-----------------Black Les Paul Custom, no pickguard, open D capo 2------------------------Black Strat
The Book Of Souls----------------------Main California Series Strat------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jackson Custom Shop AS, Green Sunburst------------------------------------Black Strat
Fear Of The Dark-----------------------Main California Series Strat------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Xstroyer --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Black Strat
Iron Maiden-----------------------------Main California Series Strat------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jackson Prototype, maple fingerboard, black pickguard---------------------White Spirit Strat
The Number Of The Beast------------Main California Series Strat-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jackson Prototype, maple fingerboard, black pickguard----------------------Black Strat
Blood Brothers--------------------------Custom shop Stratocaster in Arctic White, 22 fret maple fingerboard, DM pickguard-----------------Jackson Custom Shop AS, Green Sunburst--------------------------------------Arctic White Strat, all pickups now white
Wasted Years-----------------------------Custom shop Stratocaster in Arctic White, 22 fret maple fingerboard, DM pickguard------------------Jackson Custom Shop AS, Green Sunburst-------------------------------------Arctic White Strat, all pickups now white

Jan "used" (trashed around) two guitars at the end.

So Janick used more guitars than Dave. Odd, always thought he stuck to a couple.

Last edited:
Jan "used" (trashed around) two guitars at the end.

So Janick used more guitars than Dave. Odd, always thought he stuck to a couple.
Jan has had more than 2 guitars with him since the XFactour, last year he had 6, this year also 6.

Janick also eliminated the Sandberg from the show. Does this mean a Fender endorsment?

Janick also eliminated the Sandberg from the show. Does this mean a Fender endorsment?
Eh, I kinda doubt it. If he had a couple of new Custom Shop Strats then maybe, but all of his are the same old ones. I suspect he just got tired of the Sandberg for whatever reason. Or maybe it doesn't stay in tune anymore, really it could be a million different things before an endorsement deal.

What's the more interesting thing in that list is that Dave indeed did not play his new hardtail Les Paul at all, so there's a small chance it might be reserved for a song they didn't play at this gig but are gonna play later. SotV rotating with TGU? It's possible! Though probably very unlikely. We'll see next gig I suppose.

I can guarantee you the noise levels at a Maiden gig are more than enough for some degree of hearing loss if you go without ear plugs. Maybe not immediately noticeable, but it definitely will have an effect, the PA outputs with more than enough pressure to ensure that. Seriously, don't fuck around with your hearing, people. You can't exactly fix it and once it's shot, it's shot. Plus tinnitus in particular isn't very fun to live with.

I can guarantee you the noise levels at a Maiden gig are more than enough for some degree of hearing loss if you go without ear plugs. Maybe not immediately noticeable, but it definitely will have an effect, the PA outputs with more than enough pressure to ensure that. Seriously, don't fuck around with your hearing, people. You can't exactly fix it and once it's shot, it's shot. Plus tinnitus in particular isn't very fun to live with.
I was speaking about the on-stage levels. Maiden's stage volume is nowhere near the AC/DC. The FOH guys of both bands can blow your head off with volume any day, if they decide to do so.

Guitars used on songs:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Dave---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------H---------------------------------------------------------------Jan--------------------------
If Eternity Should Fail-----------------Custom shop Stratocaster in Arctic White, 22 fret maple fingerboard, DM pickguard----------------Jackson Prototype, maple fingerboard, black pickguard---------------------Epiphone Black Beauty
Speed Of Light---------------------------Custom shop Stratocaster in Arctic White, 22 fret maple fingerboard, DM pickguard----------------Jackson Prototype, ebony fingerboard, white pickguard--------------------Olympic White Strat (wireless)
Wrathchild-------------------------------Custom shop Stratocaster in Arctic White, 22 fret maple fingerboard, DM pickguard-----------------Jackson Prototype, ebony fingerboard, white pickguard--------------------Black Strat
Children Of The Damned-------------Custom shop 70's Stratocaster in Black, 22 fret ebony fingerboard, zebra humbuckers---------------Jackson Prototype, ebony fingerboard, white pickguard--------------------Black Strat
Death Or Glory--------------------------Custom shop 70's Stratocaster in Black, 22 fret ebony fingerboard, zebra humbuckers---------------Jackson Prototype, ebony fingerboard, white pickguard--------------------Olympic White Strat (wireless)
The Red And The Black---------------Les Paul Axcess---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jackson Custom Shop AS, Green Sunburst-------------------------------------Black Strat
The Trooper------------------------------Les Paul Axcess---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jackson Custom Shop AS, Green Sunburst Sunburst------------------------Fender Strat (El Dorado 2010), maybe now with Jbjr
Powerslave--------------------------------Les Paul Axcess---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jackson Prototype, ebony fingerboard, white pickguard--------------------Arctic White Strat, all pickups now white
The Great Unknown-------------------Custom shop Stratocaster in Arctic White, 22 fret maple fingerboard, DM pickguard-----------------Black Les Paul Custom, no pickguard, open D capo 2------------------------Black Strat
The Book Of Souls----------------------Main California Series Strat------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jackson Custom Shop AS, Green Sunburst------------------------------------Black Strat
Fear Of The Dark-----------------------Main California Series Strat------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Xstroyer --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Black Strat
Iron Maiden-----------------------------Main California Series Strat------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jackson Prototype, maple fingerboard, black pickguard---------------------White Spirit Strat
The Number Of The Beast------------Main California Series Strat-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Jackson Prototype, maple fingerboard, black pickguard----------------------Black Strat
Blood Brothers--------------------------Custom shop Stratocaster in Arctic White, 22 fret maple fingerboard, DM pickguard-----------------Jackson Custom Shop AS, Green Sunburst--------------------------------------Arctic White Strat, all pickups now white
Wasted Years-----------------------------Custom shop Stratocaster in Arctic White, 22 fret maple fingerboard, DM pickguard------------------Jackson Custom Shop AS, Green Sunburst-------------------------------------Arctic White Strat, all pickups now white
Killer, thank you!

It looks as though Davey did not use his new Gary Moore LP after all then- I wonder if they'll be rotating a song in tomorrow night?

Edit - @matic22 in light of the "Shadows of the Valley" shirt being sold, is Dave's new LP something that could be used on that tune? It just seems odd that he'd bring that to rehearsal and then not use it at all...

Last edited:
I was speaking about the on-stage levels. Maiden's stage volume is nowhere near the AC/DC. The FOH guys of both bands can blow your head off with volume any day, if they decide to do so.
Yeah, I know. I just felt it was a good idea to point out that hearing protection is mandatory if you like your hearing, even at a Maiden gig which aren't that loud (I mean, you can make out the music just fine on a shitty phone video shot from the gig. Try the same thing for a vid shot at a Metallica gig and it's usually just noise) in comparison to other bands.

Killer, thank you!

It looks as though Davey did not use his new Gary Moore LP after all then- I wonder if they'll be rotating a song in tomorrow night?

Edit - @matic22 in light of the "Shadows of the Valley" shirt being sold, is Dave's new LP something that could be used on that tune? It just seems odd that he'd bring that to rehearsal and then not use it at all...
I think they might rotate the set on this tour. Hallowed was rehearsed and probably dropped due Bruce's cold (assuming that he had cold last night, it sounded like that, especially on TBOS). The Gary Moore LP isn't the only guitar that didn't make it to the show. There was also the Vintage White Floyd Rose Classic Stratocaster next to it on the stand on the rehearsals photo, but not on the one taken before the show. Let me listen through SOTV and I'll tell ya.

Result: No. That solo requires Floyd Rose.

Back