The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

Nothing from AMOLAD is disappointing. And three songs from Brave New World seems a bit much, particulary since they played two of those in 2011. But I understand them, it's a quite new album with songs that soon are will be considered classics. However, six songs off TBOS, BNW songs and COTD! Yay, lots of positives. It's better than the TFF setlist from 2011.

Yeah I would like to have Ghost Of The Navigator instead of BNW or Wicker Man.

Children of the Damned and Wasted Years being played on an album tour for the first time since 1986/87 for COTD and 88 for WY. Unless you count A Matter of the Beast as an album tour.

The band probably decided on the final setlist just before Christmas.
I haven't checked that setlist but I think we might separate two things:
1- A setlist for China
2- A "regular" setlist for the (rest of the) tour

On 2: This setlist is definitively not final yet. In the last month(s) the Maiden members have done homework with a group of songs individually.

They start rehearsing together one month before the start of the tour. That's soon or perhaps even right now. They might have just started. During this period they'll play as a group and then the setlist will be decided. I am sure this (group reheasing and finalizing the setlist) is what Nicko said in an interview (not 100% sure from the top of my head which one: it might be the fanzine, but it could be another).

I am not saying that Maiden will not use the China setlist for the regular tour, but I guess it's not decided yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get that and I know its hard to guess what the authorities will take issue with but I cant think of any tuned that they might ban. Except Charlotte or some other hooker related tune :censored:
Any political song would probably be banned. Probably why there's no 2 Minutes To Midnight. Weird that The Trooper made it, they usually censor war songs too.

Any political song would probably be banned. Probably why there's no 2 Minutes To Midnight. Weird that The Trooper made it, they usually censor war songs too.
Well it just crossed my mind... Those were the submitted songs... It's not known if they made it.

Concerts for metalbands in China are usually shorter.
The regular Maiden set might consist of an extended-China set. 3-6 more songs (no clue, I haven't seen the spoiler).

Well it just crossed my mind... Those were the submitted songs... It's not known if they made it.
Yeah, didn't think of that. Maybe they get to play a song but only the instrumental version of it? I know Metallica and Megadeth did it like that.

re: full set:

Then Maiden's message to China could have been:

A. Look, this is what we can play. You make thy choice.
B. Look, we won't play any other songs in China, so don't worry. If this will not be censored any further, we will make a shorter set (according to your time specifications), and will make it definite after we've finished our group rehearsal.
C. This is the complete set.

I for one would be surprised if they would do a full set out there. Weren't all other preceding bands doing shorter than normal concerts?

They usually censor political songs, war songs, patriotic songs (except if they are Chinese :p) and songs with explicit content. I'd say that songs #3, 5, 8, 10, 14 and 15 could be censored.

Based upon what Rod & thd band stated in the documentary section of"En Vivo," the set list was probably chosen months ago. Reason? The lighting design, backing drapes and any specific stage dressings (like any pyro, the battlefield scene during "Paschendale" or the DOD tour version of "Dance Of Death") for specific songs require time to create and produce, before the actual tour begins.

By the time they begin rehearsals a couple of weeks before the tour begins, the band & management already know the songs that will be performed. There may be a small bit of wiggle room but for the most part, they know. It's a HUGE stage production. Bruce stated how important it is to get the pacing right. They wouldn't be working out kinks with just a month of lead time before going out on the road. All of those decisions are made well before then.

Nope. The band needs to be able to play the songs together. They haven't tried that in 2015.

If something does not work out, changes can be made. The production needs to make adjustments, not the other way around.
It can be done, since every song is a little production itself. It's a matter of omitting a production or death.

Back