The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

Wait, I've actually wondered about that for a bit. I know that the whole band is (apparently) in Drop D in the album version of IESF, and that Dave is tuned to E standard live, but where does that leave Steve? Is he in E standard in live performances too? I mean, I wouldn't be surprised frankly, but I'd still like to know for sure.

It sounds to me like drop-D bass on studio version. Live it sounds like standard.

You're talking like he wouldn't just have a mostly identical bass in a different tuning for IESF if he needed to, though.
He would still need a little time to switch from one instrument to the other, though. And without that outro, it would leave a (short) dead period between the first two songs. Later in the set that wouldn't be a problem, but the crowd expects song number two to follow immediately.

I'm pretty sure the bass is still in standard tuning on that song. Just listening to it I don't hear him playing anything lower than E. Would be pretty pointless to down tune the bass for that song anyway.

You're talking like he wouldn't just have a mostly identical bass in a different tuning for IESF if he needed to, though.
I indeed think he doesn't have a mostly identical bass. I also know that he's playing the same bass for years now. On all concerts, on all songs.
Not saying that he can't have used anything else this tour, but add Mosh's analysis to it, and the chance becomes close to nihil.

I'm not saying he is using a Drop D bass, I'm just saying that it'd totally be possible for him to do even with no apparent switch. I mean, he does have a spare or two that are (again, mostly) identical to his main one, though probably not actually as old as his main one is.

But yeah, listening to some of the recordings on the tour more carefully, it's most probably in standard tuning. Kind of strange the bass on IESF seemed to be Drop D on the album even since it's such a small change, really.

I indeed think he doesn't have a mostly identical bass. I also know that he's playing the same bass for years now. On all concerts, on all songs.
Not saying that he can't have used anything else this tour, but add Mosh's analysis to it, and the chance becomes close to nihil.

Steve has an almost identical bass to his 1971 Precision. It's a Fender Custom shop signature prototype. You can only distinguish it from the original one with two things: Headstock says Fender Precision (the decal on the original has worn out) and the darker shade of blue on the binding and that's it. He also tours with the Blue bass with silver crackles and a prototype from 2009 of the previous model if I'm not mistaken.

That prototype was used here on encores:

I'm not saying he is using a Drop D bass, I'm just saying that it'd totally be possible for him to do even with no apparent switch. I mean, he does have a spare or two that are (again, mostly) identical to his main one, though probably not actually as old as his main one is.

But yeah, listening to some of the recordings on the tour more carefully, it's most probably in standard tuning. Kind of strange the bass on IESF seemed to be Drop D on the album even since it's such a small change, really.

It can be possible to retune bass if the neck doesn't bow too much under tension. If the neck curvature moves while detuned, it will result in changing the pitch of other strings. That is quite common with basses as the string tension is much larger than on guitars.

Tears of a clown was a bit of let down live IMO. It didn't really grab the room the way ALL the other BOS songs did, to me. Of course the tempo isn't as upbeat....
IESF is my least favorite song on the album and among my least favorite Maiden songs ever. But live it was 10 times better. I think Tears could easily get the hook. Speed of light was the best live new song I believe, and is a lock for future sets...

Here are the bass guitars he usually takes on tour :)

Studio/Live
If Eternity Should Fail 10/10 (This has grown a lot on me. Absolutely killer track)
Speed of Light 8/8
The Red and the Black 9/8
The Book of Souls 9/9
Death or Glory 8/7
Tears of a Clown 8/8

The second one from left is the 2015 Signature prototype. Steve has it since 2011 I believe. It was used on encores during quite a few concerts on the first leg of the tour.

2011? I did not know that. His blue sig was out then, so I am surprised.

I would like to see him play the blue sig for encores sometimes (I know he has used it in British Lion)

Only so I can say he is playing my bass lol

Seriously though, I always think of the 80s with the blue bass....it would be great for older songs ;)

I thought all of the new songs worked very well live - certainly none were a letdown.

It is perhaps premature talking about which of the albums songs are most likely to occur in the future live given the age of the band but I'd rank their likelihood as follows:

6) If Eternity Should Fail (Great opener here, but in the middle of a set? Don't think it would work)
5) Tears Of A Clown (Good length, but perhaps feels a bit more topical as a song and wasn't initially in the set by nicko's recent interview)
4) The Book Of Souls (Reasonably long, worked really well live...but the set was built around it)
3) The Red And The Black (Works really well live, but would be a chore to fit in a set due to length)
2) Speed Of Light (Good length, works nicely live)
1) Death Or Glory (Good length, great crowd interaction, the band (or Bruce at least) seem to really love it)

As an American, I really hope they throw some Final Frontier songs in the setlist for next year, or if anything, before they call it quits. While I'm not complaining about the amazing setlist we had for that summer 2010 tour, we only had El Dorado played for us. They skipped over us completely for the 2011 dedicated Final Frontier tour.

I would love to hear The Final Frontier itself, Coming Home, The Talisman, and/or When The Wild Wind Blows.

Last edited by a moderator:
alright, been lurking for a while so here's the first post, just caught my first two maiden shows in april (detroit and night 2 of LA). so, i'm hooked now and waiting on the next leg of the tour. just wanted to say that i hope for sign of the cross to hopefully make an appearance. i know it's a total longshot, but that song is pretty damn epic with bruce on vox.

Back