The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

I didn't think The Red and The Black was that great live at Download. Or maybe it was because I couldn't give the song my full attention because of some wankers crowdsurfing throughout the song.

Maybe I'll have another opinion next year.

I didn't think The Red and The Black was that great live at Download. Or maybe it was because I couldn't give the song my full attention because of some wankers crowdsurfing throughout the song.

Maybe I'll have another opinion next year.
My experience was similar. I was on the rail in Tacoma, and when that song started there was a ton of pushing. I was getting killed up there. But during The Trooper they backed off. It was awesome in Vegas though. Definitely a concert highlight!

My experience was similar. I was on the rail in Tacoma, and when that song started there was a ton of pushing. I was getting killed up there. But during The Trooper they backed off. It was awesome in Vegas though. Definitely a concert highlight!

I had the opposite experience at Download, row behind the rail. It was relatively sedate up until Trooper, but as soon as that started people lost their minds and started surging forward. One absolute tosser spent pretty much the entirety of the rest of the concert trying to push in front of me.

I had the opposite experience at Download, row behind the rail. It was relatively sedate up until Trooper, but as soon as that started people lost their minds and started surging forward. One absolute tosser spent pretty much the entirety of the rest of the concert trying to push in front of me.
Lol. I think they all lost their energy in Tacoma and just gave up!

Hi everyone! Been a while, but f*** that, I wanna post about the tour.

So I saw Maiden this summer at Rock in Vienna, June 5, with my girlfriend (a first-timer to a Maiden gig). The venue was pretty fantastic, on this island thing in the middle of the Danube, on the outer edges of Vienna. There was a bridge that ran through the festival area with trains rolling through every few minutes which gave it a very industrial vibe, which worked well at a 'rock' show. So props for that. Maiden played on the third day of the festival, and on that particular day there was a summer storm in the air that hit right before they were due to play. Naturally, we stayed put right around the middle quite close to a lighting rig, and just got rained on. I felt a bit for my partner since she's not really a hardcore metalhead but she was into it, there is something about thousands of people standing in mud and rain and frankly scary weather conditions (there was thunder and lightning in the distance), suffering together and knowing it'll all be worth it as soon as Maiden come on. They did with not much delay, and yeah, it was worth it. ;)

Right off the bat I was struck by how good Bruce sounded, and he looked good too (i.e. running around stage like himself). If Eternity Should Fail (the opener), sounded awesome, the atmosphere was just right, everything clicked. I mean, the audience were boring as hell and stood around listening, which I was surprised about at first but they did that for the entire gig so apparently it's a weird Viennese thing (read: go see Maiden with a better crowd, I warmly recommend Sweden). Anyway, I bounced around and was my usual Maiden concert self, yelling all the words, etc, etc. There was another guy close by who headbanged quite a bit, which was nice to see.
Highlights for me were Speed of Light (worked great live of course, not such a fan otherwise), Tears of a Clown (great stage set for that too, loved the artwork), the whole monkey business during Death or Glory (which made that song much more fun), and The Book of Souls. Fear of the Dark was also good, but yeah I've heard it a bunch by now so it was nothing out of the ordinary. And Blood Brothers was a bonus but the first time I heard it live in Stockholm was a more exhilarating experience for me (possibly because I'd never heard it live before). But throughout I was really impressed with Bruce's singing, his energy, and the artwork they had on stage, everything. It even rained a bit less during the gig and of course Bruce applauded the audience for braving the storm.

I bought a t-shirt from the gig, the one with Eddie holding out a heart on the front and all the tour venues on the back, I love it. I think the artwork on this tour/album has been fantastic honestly, really appreciate it. Dunno what it is, but it's grand without being a bit kitschy (see Powerslave), dark enough without the wartime theme, and just a it tongue-in-cheek (see the totems with the band members on it). Anyway, a great Maiden experience and I hope not the last! But seriously, the crowd sucked, not seeing them in Vienna again.

Rock on guys! :edmetal:

You know, after not even buying En Vivo due to feeling saturated with Maiden live product, I find myself really wanting a live album from this tour.

Agreed. I have found myself watching the 4 songs from the Download broadcast at least once a day for the past week. I even watched the first half of En Vivo once.

Fun fact: Download recording features some shoths from Berlin show. You can clearly see the white roof of Waldbuehne.

It's about that time. If it's true that they are playing at places in February-April, they almost have to have those dates announced by September/October.

Back