NEW SPOILER POLICY POLL

What spoiler rules would you prefer?

• Ditch all spoiler rules

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Keep the same rules as this year

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • Have a spoiler thread, a spoiler-free thread and a spoiler-only-with-spoiler-tags thread

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other, specified in post

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brigantium

General of the Dark Army
Staff member
In anticipation of another Maiden tour next year, we’ve decided to poll opinion about a new spoiler policy.

This year we restricted open discussion of the tour to one spoilers-allowed thread, set up a clearly labelled spoiler-free tour thread, and asked for the use of spoiler tags for tour discussions in any other thread.

It’s been difficult to enforce spoiler rules at times, particularly since the band’s own publicity people posted details of the 2016 setlist on social media. Some posters do overlook the pinned spoiler rules thread before posting, and for this reason, whatever the preferred rules, it’s not easy for us to guarantee a particular thread is 100% ‘safe’ from spoilers at all times.

We’d like to hear your views about the future spoiler policy. If you have an alternative suggestion to the options in the poll above, please give details in your post.

The poll will remain open until the end of this month.

I voted "Keep the same rules as last year", but I should clarify that I think we should keep those rules only in the event that the setlist for next year's tour is different. If the band goes out next year with the exact same show, a la Maiden England, then I think all talk is fair game. If someone is on a Maiden message board a year and a half after the release of an album, I fully expect that they have either been reading spoiler threads, looking at Maiden's official spoiler-heavy social media, or watching clips from shows on YouTube.

I voted "Keep the same rules as last year", but I should clarify that I think we should keep those rules only in the event that the setlist for next year's tour is different. If the band goes out next year with the exact same show, a la Maiden England, then I think all talk is fair game. If someone is on a Maiden message board a year and a half after the release of an album, I fully expect that they have either been reading spoiler threads, looking at Maiden's official spoiler-heavy social media, or watching clips from shows on YouTube.
This. I thought the rules worked fine for this tour. Some stuff got out but at this point you really can't avoid everything unless you shut yourself out from the internet.

If Maiden is teasing the set list on their Facebook and Instagram everyday then there's really no point and you're probably just gonna see them anyway. Ditch em'

Last edited:
I would lean towards ditching, but I voted for same as last year. I think it is impossible to avoid all spoilers unless you are seeing one of the first few shows of the tour.

That said, some people like to be at least somewhat spoil free, so keeping all the spoilers in one thread makes sense.

Keep the same rules as this year but make the distinguishment between the topic titles somewhat bigger. I opened the wrong thread a couple of times.
My own mistake but a clearer difference between topic titles would help.

edit:
Hmm, I just looked at the titles and it is clear enough.

It's basically impossible in 2016 because Maiden's press, website and social media teams "give away the store" with set list and stage production details on the first night. I say ditch.

It's basically impossible in 2016 because Maiden's press, website and social media teams "give away the store" with set list and stage production details on the first night. I say ditch.

True. I think the majority here also don't care about spoilers - So it could seem like a lot of hassle just to "please a few" forum members...but on the other hand having all of the tour talk in one thread this year was also really neat because you had the discussion in one place and not spread out in different threads on the forum. A neat go-to thread for anything to do with the tour/album/news etc. That's been the best thing about the spoiler thread IMO.

True. I think the majority here also don't care about spoilers - So it could seem like a lot of hassle just to "please a few" forum members...but on the other hand having all of the tour talk in one thread this year was also really neat because you had the discussion in one place and not spread out in different threads on the forum. A neat go-to thread for anything to do with the tour/album/news etc. That's been the best thing about the spoiler thread IMO.

That's a good point on the thread....hmmm..maybe that's the way to keep doing it.

I have always respected the spoiler policy, but I didn't understand it, nor cared for it in the slightest. Getting angry over knowing the setlist beforehand seems very silly to me, but IRYO. Voted for ditching, of course.

Well I don't have a problem respecting the wishes of those who don't want to know the setlist ahead of time. That said, if it's that important to you that you're still avoiding the spoilers after the tour in case they play the setlist next year, then I'm not sure regularly visiting an Iron Maiden forum in the first place is a good idea.

I voted "same as this year" although of course it's not perfect but what is? I have been comfortable with it, although there have been cases when I felt a bit uneasy because the presence of the spoiler tag itself is a spoiler...
For example when I was discussing the slide part of the Death or Glory solo making allusions to what I had seen in the Seville concert. I felt a bit guilty because to me the spoiler tag was screaming "THEY ARE PLAYING DEATH OR GLORY THIS TOUR" to anybody who isn't intellectually challenged.

The trick to that, I suppose, is putting all of the relevant part of a post into a spoiler tag if possible. But yes, it's a problem in the survivor threads and the Song and Album Commentary forum. There were quite a few examples of people posting a comment in a thread about a particular song, and putting it in spoiler tags would have just made it too obvious that the song was on the setlist.

I'm also with keeping it the same as this year as long as the setlist is different next year. I also think there should be a completely separate section of the forum that's dedicated to tours instead of having threads for them in the main Maiden Chat section and if there's a rule that says the most recent tour can't be discussed outside of that section, then we can avoid people seeing spoilers in other parts of the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back