The Marvel Thread (Spoilers, and language!)

It's interesting that Sif took a pause and emphasized "Kree" during her list of aliens...

As for Ward/Skye...I've noticed that for a long time, but I really hope they don't rush it. It's always nice when the badass/stoic characters have unrequited love rather than the more emotional characters (i.e. Fitz-Simmons).

I've finally come around to Ward with this episode. They've finally realized that the quick way to make him more interesting is to turn him evil and have the ramifications of that affect other people (i.e. Angel in the 2nd season of Buffy). Great Whedon-y tactic for making boring characters interesting!

As much as I'm looking forward to that special, the constant interruptions of this show are getting ridiculous.
I noticed what Sif did there too. I've been hearing the rumors about Kree ever since the whole o-8-4 thing with Skye. People have been saying she could be a Kree and if that alien is a Kree, it would fully confirm my theory.

I'm hoping they don't rush the Ward/Skye thing either. I really like the build up of things like that. I've also seen something between May and Coulson a bit so I'm wondering now that Ward isn't in her picture, if she and Coulson will go somewhere but not sure with this whole going behind Coulson's back thing. As for Fitz/Simmons, they're really cute together but I don't really see them as romantic relationship material.

Ward has definitely grown on me. I remember telling my husband while watching the first episode that I didn't like him but his character has grown so much since then and you're seeing different sides of him which is really cool.

And yes, I do agree about how they're airing the show. We'll get 1 or 2 episodes then it's gone for 2 weeks or more. I'm just hoping that's not a bad sign...

My thoughts!
I'm not so keen on the whole Ward/Skye thing, mostly because I find him to be a bit too emotionless.. I just don't think it'll have the effect they are after. Ward/May wasn't exactly high emotion either with them both being quite reserved but it held some interesting ramifications due to the effects to the team if it got out. Ward has been seeming a bit hostile towards Coulson since he saw him helping May after she got stabbed in ep13 so I was expecting that to be the team issues rather than this... whether Skye/Ward will go anywhere is unknown, as Skye knows nothing about his 'relationship' with May.

Fitz/Simmons clearly have unspoken feelings (I think the actors themselves said "love but would never say it/realise it") but I very much doubt it will ever be explored in a romantic sense, whilst they have chemistry in a way that would make a relationship work, it would not provide any drama. The best way to use it is as they are already doing, with the pair of them occasionally blurting out odd things and seeing the reaction from the others (for instance, Simmons talking to Peterson). Hopefully it will prevent there ever being any involvement from that Triplett guy though, he was a bit of a creep :p

It was cool seeing Coulson go outside his normally calm attitude, very aggressive with Simmons about the drug. Very interesting that they said it disappeared completely from Skye's blood stream yet continues to act - I wonder if she will have accelerated healing from now on?

May being there to spy on Coulson is an interesting development, but more to the point if they were afraid of Coulson finding out... why did she help get them to the facility in the first place? Unless we are looking at it from the wrong angle and the "he knows" is less about his own revival and more about the Alien's existence, but I suspect it's the revival that they are referring to. I was surprised she made him tell Skye even if just to find out, but perhaps she's been playing a long game and SHIELD wants to know more about the Alien protein/enzyme/whatever's effects, so was encouraging the usage on Skye too.

Until now, I have been of the mind that people were taking Skye's 0-8-4 status too literally, I expected that was how it was referred when it was called into base and until they arrived no one actually knew it was a baby - for instance an agent in the area heard people talking about something strange coming from an unknown place. The theories I've seen since the alien reveal are that she is an Inhuman - something apparently created by the Kree - which would help for future introduction in movies. Rewatching the previous episode I realised that GH was actually written on the aliens tank, rather than it being for Guest House. Most people seem to be speculating it's the initials of the Kree, I can't remember exactly what it was but the initials of Captain Marvel or something, which coupled with the idea that the "Let me die" was the Alien and not Coulson, would suggest he is now taking on that role. Personally I'd rather he just stayed as a normal person, ESPECIALLY if Skye was to become Inhuman. I like the shows current premise of normal people in a super world, even if some of the comic fans are peeved there's no big supers in it.

Oddly, that's all to do with the last 10minutes or so, the rest of the episode regarding Lorelei I didn't actually find that interesting oddly enough. It was nice to see Sif get some screen time although imo she sounded very different, like the accent was more forced. I was surprised Fitz actually fixed the necklace for her given he was under Lorelei's control. The CGI on the truck push was a bit iffy, it looked like a regular kick at first and then suddenly jerked forwards after moving a little bit at regular speed. The "ICER" arsenal was a nice addition and hopefully see's more use. I get that the episodes story was essentially there to turn Ward evil and give him some character development but sadly I just didn't feel the story itself was that exciting. Great to hear him called "Phil, son of Coul" again :p Nice to hear mention of whether Thor knew about Coulson (although technically Thor was off the ship before he got to see if he was revived/died.. and he DID die so it wasn't a lie) and interesting that Sif doesn't know about Odin, so yes quite possible Lorelei will show up in Thor 3. There was mention of Sif/Thor romance which I approve of, as I don't really like Jane Foster and mythologically it's correct (and I believe in the comics too?), but I doubt it will go anywhere.

Cool episode but majority of the interesting stuff was in the last 10 minutes, I imagine most wanted the episode to be about finding more on the Alien. Sif screentime was good, character development good, potential TV characters crossing into movies and not just vice versa, all in all a good episode from a progression standpoint.

I'm not complaining since I always seem to be the last one to watch the episode, but what's with all the spoilers inside a spoiler thread? :p

When I first created the thread I figured that it was best to give fair warning in advance and that if someone didn't want to know what happened don't read it until you've watched. Problem is we all have different definitions of spoiler - some view every preview etc and talk in advance, others only talk after etc. With this though it's mostly just that we can't expect everyone to see the episode within the first hour :p

Were it just the show that was discussed it'd be a bit easier to handle, don't want to know then don't read the thread! But there's also film discussion (upcoming and existing) in here so someone may open it to continue a film discussion only to have the show spoilered. That's my thoughts at least, so personally I'm trying to keep things spoilered until a few days after the show airs to give time for catchup (or until all the main watchers have commented and we can be sure they have seen)

As for Fitz/Simmons, they're really cute together but I don't really see them as romantic relationship material.

Fitz/Simmons clearly have unspoken feelings (I think the actors themselves said "love but would never say it/realise it") but I very much doubt it will ever be explored in a romantic sense, whilst they have chemistry in a way that would make a relationship work, it would not provide any drama. The best way to use it is as they are already doing, with the pair of them occasionally blurting out odd things and seeing the reaction from the others (for instance, Simmons talking to Peterson).

Oh, did I misspeak! I was simply saying that Fitz and Simmons are the more emotional characters on the show. I certainly do not think there is, or should be, any romance there. Way too brother/sister for my tastes.

whether Skye/Ward will go anywhere is unknown, as Skye knows nothing about his 'relationship' with May.

It was cool seeing Coulson go outside his normally calm attitude, very aggressive with Simmons about the drug. Very interesting that they said it disappeared completely from Skye's blood stream yet continues to act - I wonder if she will have accelerated healing from now on?

May being there to spy on Coulson is an interesting development, but more to the point if they were afraid of Coulson finding out... why did she help get them to the facility in the first place? Unless we are looking at it from the wrong angle and the "he knows" is less about his own revival and more about the Alien's existence, but I suspect it's the revival that they are referring to. I was surprised she made him tell Skye even if just to find out, but perhaps she's been playing a long game and SHIELD wants to know more about the Alien protein/enzyme/whatever's effects, so was encouraging the usage on Skye too.

I thought Skye did know about May/Ward...didn't she catch them talking about it or something? Maybe I imagined that.

I loved seeing Coulson get emotional. Honestly, he gets kind of boring when he's so one note. Hopefully Skye has some odd sort of power from now on. Adding a super to the team, especially with Skye, would add a lot to the show. Plus, people might stop hating on her so much.

I'm not sure what to make of the May spy scene yet. Hopefully it will turn around into a bigger reveal, as I like May and Coulson's bond and would hate to see that shattered. But, then again, if I don't want to see it, it would probably make good dramatic television!

Until now, I have been of the mind that people were taking Skye's 0-8-4 status too literally, I expected that was how it was referred when it was called into base and until they arrived no one actually knew it was a baby - for instance an agent in the area heard people talking about something strange coming from an unknown place. The theories I've seen since the alien reveal are that she is an Inhuman - something apparently created by the Kree - which would help for future introduction in movies. Rewatching the previous episode I realised that GH was actually written on the aliens tank, rather than it being for Guest House. Most people seem to be speculating it's the initials of the Kree, I can't remember exactly what it was but the initials of Captain Marvel or something, which coupled with the idea that the "Let me die" was the Alien and not Coulson, would suggest he is now taking on that role. Personally I'd rather he just stayed as a normal person, ESPECIALLY if Skye was to become Inhuman. I like the shows current premise of normal people in a super world, even if some of the comic fans are peeved there's no big supers in it.

Although not a bad theory, if Coulson becomes Captain Marvel that would be the longest origin story in the history of comic book films. :)

Oddly, that's all to do with the last 10minutes or so, the rest of the episode regarding Lorelei I didn't actually find that interesting oddly enough. It was nice to see Sif get some screen time although imo she sounded very different, like the accent was more forced. I was surprised Fitz actually fixed the necklace for her given he was under Lorelei's control. The CGI on the truck push was a bit iffy, it looked like a regular kick at first and then suddenly jerked forwards after moving a little bit at regular speed. The "ICER" arsenal was a nice addition and hopefully see's more use. I get that the episodes story was essentially there to turn Ward evil and give him some character development but sadly I just didn't feel the story itself was that exciting. Great to hear him called "Phil, son of Coul" again :p Nice to hear mention of whether Thor knew about Coulson (although technically Thor was off the ship before he got to see if he was revived/died.. and he DID die so it wasn't a lie) and interesting that Sif doesn't know about Odin, so yes quite possible Lorelei will show up in Thor 3. There was mention of Sif/Thor romance which I approve of, as I don't really like Jane Foster and mythologically it's correct (and I believe in the comics too?), but I doubt it will go anywhere.

I thought Fitz fixed the collar before he fell under spell? The CGI was definitely iffy at some points, but they made most of it very quick so as to avoid looking really cheesy. As for Sif, I completely agree with you. I will always rally for more Natalie Portman on my film screen, but that character is so boring. Thor needs an epic romance!

As for Sif, I completely agree with you. I will always rally for more Natalie Portman on my film screen, but that character is so boring. Thor needs an epic romance!

(Don't think we really need spoiler for this bit)

In all honesty I think Natalie Portman is part of why I don't like the character, I wasn't a fan of her in Star Wars nor Thor, infact tbh I think her best role is Leon heh. Whilst I know many fans were glad that she wasn't relegated to a pure love interest and actually took part in helping defeat the villain in TDW, I felt the opposite - it's not that I want to see her sitting on the sidelines or anything cliche, I just felt that she did TOO MUCH in that final fight, Thor was literally a distraction. In the first film the main thing that irritated me about her was that she assumed he was just a crazy homeless guy... and yet, when he kissed her hand goodbye she practically turned into a giggling cheerleader.

I'm sure I'll probably receive flakk for this, but I hate some movie cliches. In the first film Thor/Jane knew each other for 2 days, most of which she thought he was weird, then she finds out he's a god - 2 years later she's hung up on him. If this was any normal person she had feelings for people would be treating her extremely differently, yet because he's special it doesn't matter. This is also why I think Sif would make a better interest, not only would she be far from any damsel in distress and more of an actual companion (and hence travel with him on missions to the other realms to be involved, yet still have a perfectly obvious excuse for not joining the avengers) but also much more basis for it. The downside is it would remove the main reason for Thor's interest in protecting earth. I do understand though that the general movie public prefer to see romances develop on screen rather than some pre-existing connection, as it gives them a way to implant themselves into the situation and imagine being swept off their feet (even though if it actually happens like that they freak out :p).

I've seen a lot on other boards wanting the Thor films to feature more of the 9 realms, and with Sif being more central that could happen. Like at the start of TDW she could be fighting on another realm, with Thor coming to aid her, and it doesn't have to be because she's helpless. Introducing it now rather than from the beginning would also mean they have a good explanation for the ties to Earth, as he has grown fond of the planet itself rather than just a person living there.

I actually think in both films my favourite parts were the Frost Giant fight, and the opening battle in TDW.

Oh, did I misspeak! I was simply saying that Fitz and Simmons are the more emotional characters on the show. I certainly do not think there is, or should be, any romance there. Way too brother/sister for my tastes.
No, you didn't. I was just giving my thoughts on them while I was on the subject of relationships. ;)

No, you didn't. I was just giving my thoughts on them while I was on the subject of relationships. ;)

Likewise :)

I think the actors have expressed before that they class the characters as loving each other but "would never say it". I don't think they would make for a good onscreen relationship as such, simply because there would likely not be any drama. They've been shown to care about each other and display jealousy when it comes to each others involvement with other characters, but that's about it.

This was a great episode.
I think that the Bluedude is an Atlantean.
http://marvel.wikia.com/Atlanteans
Their home planet is Earth, so technically they aren't aliens. It's possible that not even the Asgaardians know about them.
I like that the show is becoming more serialized.
I hope they go easy on the Ward-Skye combo, at least until the end of the season.

Re: Ward
It did kinda irritate me that after Sif mentioned that Lorelei would first use her voice, and then her touch to influence men... they not only sent in a full team of men (!?!?!) but that Ward just stood there and let her walk up to him and touch him... it just seemed so dumb coming from supposedly one of SHIELD's best agents ("Top marks since Black Widow" or something).

They could've done it differently and still had the story progress in the way it did, even if it was just to have her take him by surprise or something. He didn't even try and user the night-night gun, just stood there and let her walk up to him.

Re: Ward
It did kinda irritate me that after Sif mentioned that Lorelei would first use her voice, and then her touch to influence men... they not only sent in a full team of men (!?!?!) but that Ward just stood there and let her walk up to him and touch him... it just seemed so dumb coming from supposedly one of SHIELD's best agents ("Top marks since Black Widow" or something).

Yeah, that was really, really stupid. Either further evidence of the team's incompetency or just shoddy writing.

I think that the moment men see her, they are a bit mesmerized. So that's why he didn't shoot.

Her aura, maybe? Just her whole presence sends the male receptors firing? I'm sure that was part of it.

I just thought of this, but the writers missed a REALLY BIG way to reveal Coulson's secret organically in this episode and make for a much more dramatic means of exposition. Lorelai can control any man and we see this happen with both Ward and Fitz, but she never comes into contact with Coulson. Why not?! As the leader of the team, Lorelai should have sought him out. Once Lorelai confronts Coulson, he "falls under her spell." Lorelai incapacitates or corrupts every other member of the team except for who? Skye, because she's locked in the med-bay. Why would Lorelai need Skye? Maybe she's looking for a way to get her message out to the world and have millions of men hear her voice. Skye can hack the right channels to make this happen. So, Coulson lets her into the med-bay and just when we think Lorelai is going to hurt/kill Skye, he slaps the collar on her.

Because he was only pretending to be coerced to get close to her. Because her magic doesn't work on him. Because he has alien blood inside him. DUH. It's right there! Easy, organic storytelling method that forces Coulson to tell Skye the truth without just having another tearful exposition scene. Granted, this would take away from the "big" Sif/Lorelai fight and play the Skye's-in-trouble card again, but IMO, would have made for a more dramatic reveal and allowed Coulson to be heroic at the same time.

One of the things I really liked with this episode is there was a lot of mentions of movie things. Even if they are just in passing, it helps to tie it all together and remind the viewer that it's the same world. It also confirmed that Thor doesn't know of Coulson, and SHIELD don't know that Thor is on earth already.

I still want to know what happened to that Jotunbeast though :p

Next episode's on April 1.

tumblr_inline_moyj04mzVQ1qz4rgp.gif

On the upside, this is apparently the last break until season end.

HIMYM ends soon too... I wonder what the chance of getting Cobie Smulders being a frequent guest in season 2 is.

Back