The J.R.R. Tolkien Topic (publications and adaptations)

It could be condensed I suppose but as much as I'd love to see it I can't see it happening. No director, even PJ would want to and couldn't imagine a film company agreeing either.

That's why I mentioned The Children of Hurin, shorter more contained (albeit hugely depressing) story

The reason it's not going to happen is because it's going to be difficult to make it and make it seriously commercial. Hobbit and LOTR lend themselves to mainstream cinema a lot better.

I am sorry for you Cried and others who oppose the idea, but the content is too good to not adapt. And it's far from impossible. I recently read the book again (reading it to my oldest son and he loves it as well) and it is awesome. Such powerful storytelling. Pretty doomy and dark though. But that only makes for greater cinema.

Who wouldn't see this on a moving screen...
latest

ulmo_the_lord_of_the_waters-the-silmarillion-warner-bros-multi-film-tv-deal-for-j-r-r-tolkien-s-classic.jpeg

90ed5342951e00d45ab496fac9cfc009--alan-lee-lord-of-the-rings.jpg

http://screenrant.com/warner-bros-tolkien-lawsuit-silmarillion-movie/2/
...... But with so much material to draw from, why not break things up by individual stories and make movies out of them, one at a time? There’s probably enough story in the conflict between Morgoth and the Valar for an entire trilogy. Beren and Luthien’s story would make a perfect standalone flick. Countless other tales in the book would work as epic fantasy films, too. And there’s no doubt Warner Bros. would love to keep churning out money-making movies set in Middle-earth for years to come.

So what’s standing in the way of The Silmarillion‘s many stories coming to a theater near you? Christopher Tolkien. At this point, it would take an act of God to convince the son of J.R.R. to sell the film rights to any of his father’s remaining works.

However… There’s still one more wrinkle to this twisted tale.

Christopher Tolkien is in his 90s. Forgive the insensitivity (@CriedWhenBrucieLeft) , but if we’re being purely pragmatic about things, it’s impossible to ignore that he’s not going to live forever. Whenever Christopher shrugs off this mortal coil, someone new will be needed to take over the Tolkien Estate — and it’s possible that that someone may have more tolerant views of Hollywood and the film industry.

Enter Simon Tolkien. As Christopher’s oldest son, it’s logical to assume that he’s next in line to inherit the family Estate. And as it happens, Simon Tolkien — already a successful novelist in his own right — is on record as being a strong supporter of Peter Jackson’s movies. He sees them as something the Estate should embrace, thanks to the new generation that’s discovered the books thanks to the films.

Simon is so vocal about his support, in fact, that a few years back, it led to a schism between him and his father, during which Christopher actually disowned his own son. (If nothing else, that proves just how strong Christopher’s feelings are about the sanctity of his father’s work).

Fortunately, their story has a happy ending. Christopher and Simon have reportedly had a reconciliation in the years since their falling out. But one has to assume that they’ve merely “agreed to disagree,” as neither of them have changed their views about film adaptations. Could Simon someday be the one to license the film rights to more Tolkien works to a Hollywood studio (presumably Warner Bros.)?

Don’t get your hopes up just yet. There are a lot of unknowns in this scenario. There’s no law or rule stating that Simon is definitely next in line to take over the Tolkien Estate; Christopher could just as easily choose to entrust its future to another professional employed there, or to one of its Trustees, or a different member of the Tolkien family. There’s no way of knowing until it happens. And even if Simon is offered the job of overseeing the Tolkien Estate, who knows if he would even want it?

So if Simon is asked to take over, and if he says yes, then it’s conceivable that he might someday loosen the Estate’s stranglehold on the film rights to the rest of the Tolkien catalog. But that’s a big if, and it’s a long way off.

In the meantime, don’t expect to see Middle-earth on the big screen again any time soon.

Last edited:
Holy cow, I even found a fan-made treatment of a possible TV series based on The Silmarillion. The about section:
– This is a not-for-profit website.

– I do not own any storylines, characters, images, music or videos used on this site. All credit goes to J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien and the artists listed on each page.

– This is a fan-made treatment of a possible TV series based on The Silmarillion.

– I am well aware of the rights situation.

– This is not a pitch.

– I do not wish Peter Jackson, Warner Bros, HBO or anyone else to consider making this. It is purely fan-made for fun.

– Cover art: Two Trees of Valinor by beregond3019
https://silmarillionseries.com/

The series is split into six seasons, covering the entire Silmarillion with parts from Unfinished Tales and The History of Middle-Earth added. The six seasons are: The Fall of the Noldor, The Ruin of Beleriand, The Tale of Beren and Luthien, The Children of Hurin, The War of Wrath and Akallabeth.

It starts like this:
The series is framed by meetings between Elrond and Maglor in the Third Age. Maglor recounts the events of the First Age to Elrond and the viewer.

That's great... the only living son of Feänor tells the tale to Elrond..! Not bad, not bad at all.

Last edited:
Are you trying to make a point?
I find it highly ironic that you should be posting about the death of the very person who has brought you the material that you're so adamant should be adapted, but which he thinks is unsuitable for adaptation. I think you've posted about integrity before, have you not? CT has it & I respect his decision not to sell the film rights to Tolkien's posthumously published works for the reasons he's publicly stated. Why can't you respect that decision? Sure, it's interesting to speculate; but you (like others) are talking in a tone which suggests you can't wait for this old fossil to drop dead so you can get on with watching a few more movies. I find this quite distasteful.
I recently read the book again (reading it to my oldest son and he loves it as well) and it is awesome. Such powerful storytelling. Pretty doomy and dark though.
Well, at least we agree on one thing...
But that only makes for greater cinema.
On the evidence so far, can't say I agree with your enthusiasm.
http://screenrant.com/warner-bros-tolkien-lawsuit-silmarillion-movie/2/
...... But with so much material to draw from, why not break things up by individual stories and make movies out of them, one at a time? There’s probably enough story in the conflict between Morgoth and the Valar for an entire trilogy. Beren and Luthien’s story would make a perfect standalone flick. Countless other tales in the book would work as epic fantasy films, too. And there’s no doubt Warner Bros. would love to keep churning out money-making movies set in Middle-earth for years to come.

So what’s standing in the way of The Silmarillion‘s many stories coming to a theater near you? Christopher Tolkien. At this point, it would take an act of God to convince the son of J.R.R. to sell the film rights to any of his father’s remaining works.

However… There’s still one more wrinkle to this twisted tale.

Christopher Tolkien is in his 90s. Forgive the insensitivity (@CriedWhenBrucieLeft) , but if we’re being purely pragmatic about things, it’s impossible to ignore that he’s not going to live forever. Whenever Christopher shrugs off this mortal coil, someone new will be needed to take over the Tolkien Estate — and it’s possible that that someone may have more tolerant views of Hollywood and the film industry.

Enter Simon Tolkien. As Christopher’s oldest son, it’s logical to assume that he’s next in line to inherit the family Estate. And as it happens, Simon Tolkien — already a successful novelist in his own right — is on record as being a strong supporter of Peter Jackson’s movies. He sees them as something the Estate should embrace, thanks to the new generation that’s discovered the books thanks to the films.

Simon is so vocal about his support, in fact, that a few years back, it led to a schism between him and his father, during which Christopher actually disowned his own son. (If nothing else, that proves just how strong Christopher’s feelings are about the sanctity of his father’s work).

Fortunately, their story has a happy ending. Christopher and Simon have reportedly had a reconciliation in the years since their falling out. But one has to assume that they’ve merely “agreed to disagree,” as neither of them have changed their views about film adaptations. Could Simon someday be the one to license the film rights to more Tolkien works to a Hollywood studio (presumably Warner Bros.)?

Don’t get your hopes up just yet. There are a lot of unknowns in this scenario. There’s no law or rule stating that Simon is definitely next in line to take over the Tolkien Estate; Christopher could just as easily choose to entrust its future to another professional employed there, or to one of its Trustees, or a different member of the Tolkien family. There’s no way of knowing until it happens. And even if Simon is offered the job of overseeing the Tolkien Estate, who knows if he would even want it?

So if Simon is asked to take over, and if he says yes, then it’s conceivable that he might someday loosen the Estate’s stranglehold on the film rights to the rest of the Tolkien catalog. But that’s a big if, and it’s a long way off.

In the meantime, don’t expect to see Middle-earth on the big screen again any time soon.
Why are you posting this fluff? This is just fan babble, Foro. The very fact that it's harping on about Simon Tolkien only goes to show how uninformed this article is.
We'll see about that.
Keep an eye out for that obituary.

I respect the man for putting together The Silmarillion. And that's about it. That respect is entirely independent from the wish to see an adaption of that work.
I am not so much of a fundamentalist "fanboy" that I can't disagree with an author. I'm not indoctrinated by his views.

He may live as long as he likes. I merely pointed out that the man can't live long anymore on this age. He is no Elros. I only did that since you started about it, Cried. Because I felt that this needed to be addressed. Shall we quit the Eöl attitude and for once try to tolerate people who enjoy and look forward to (future) Tolkien adaptions? Thank you.

Last edited:
I respect the man for putting together The Silmarillion. And that's about it.
And what about all the other works he has carefully curated & brought to publication? Jesus man, have some respect for some of the stuff that you yourself have read & talked about e.g. Unfinished Tales. What's with the total lack of respect for CT here? And as aside: the idea that the core Middle-earth works (which is the focus here) are the sum total of Tolkien's creative & intellectual output (which is what this thread suggests) is not really conveying to me that people know or care that much about Tolkien. But we've covered all this before; the conflating of Jackson-Tolkien & author-Tolkien.
That respect is entirely independent from the wish to see an adaption of that work.
That's fine. We've discussed adaptation before though. You know what I feel about this.
I am not so much of a fundamentalist "fanboy" that I can't disagree with an author. I'm not indoctrinated by his views.
Are you referring to Tolkien or CT? (It's clear you're referring to me with "fanboy".)
He may live as long as he likes. I merely pointed out that the man can't live long anymore on this age. He is no Elros. I only did that since you started about it, Cried. Because I felt that this needed to be addressed. Shall we quit the Eöl attitude and for once try to tolerate people who enjoy and look forward to (future) Tolkien adaptions? Thank you.
Look forward? Why don't you enjoy the material Christopher Tolkien has brought to you & is bringing to you now, rather than "looking forward" to his death & the Tolkien Estate perhaps budging on selling film rights? Which is exactly what you're currently doing. You do see that? Also: any idea who's likely to control the Tolkien Estate in the future? Don't think selling film rights is really a big focus to be honest.

Last edited:
Back