The Israel-Palestine conflict

Very one sided view, exactly what Hilary Clinton would say. Actually I saw her somewhere blaming Palestinians that didn't take the deal then.
As she should have — it was the best deal the Palestinians were ever going to get, and Arafat walked away from it.

Crystalization of my point:
You cannot create impression/visibility/reality that UNLAWFULNESS AND VIOLENCE PAYS OFF. All you will get is even MORE VIOLENCE.
Example:
In 2014 putin annexed Crimea. Ukraine was weak and could not prevent it. THE WEST DID NOTHING SUBSTANTIAL TO REVERSE IT, TO PUNISH russia and putin with his imperial dreams. The West was lazy, conformist and real politik about this annexation. And, surprise, look where we are NOW. COMPLACENCY AND APPEASEMENT politics created even more UNLAWFULNESS AND VIOLENCE. It's like Nature's law. Dictators and terrorists do not think in moral and ethic category. All they see is the Democracy/West is decadent and WEAK, we can do what we want. Let's invade yet another country, let's murder even more people, BECAUSE VIOLENCE PAYS OFF.
China may invade Taiwan, but China will surely invade Taiwan if the West will fail to help Ukraine.

That's why I see recognition of Palestine - in this moment in time - in a very unfavorable light.

I think @Azas has a point about context and optics here. Something as big as recognizing Palestine should be happening in response to a large concession from Hamas, rather than pity for the side effects of Hamas’s own horrendous actions. Though @GhostofCain is also right that this should have already happened long ago, likely as part of a peace agreement that was ultimately rejected by Arafat.
I read that in Bill Clinton’s memoirs. He wrote that Arafat relatively shortly afterwards changed his mind, but by then the deal was off the table as the rejection caused distance between the PLO and the Israeli state. Iirc anyway, was 10 years ago I read it.

Reactions: Jer
Back