The Future Past Tour 2024

Despite all the negativity, they still can add Futureal to the setlist, you know. Hope remains the same.
However, given current health circumstances it may sound more like Future That Never Came.

I find it remarkable how often Steve talks about ageing and the declining abilities and risks and problems with it.

You could say, of course, not surprising, that plays a big role in touring, so it's to be expected.
But I disagree, because I work a lot with people for that would also apply, e.g. older actors who do stunts etc.

It's much more in Steve's head than I'm used to. I have to wonder if there's something behind it. I find it a bit strange.

He's been saying stuff like that since the early 90s

Touring is grueling for people in their 20s and 30s. Steve is fit for his age, but he's not a youngster anymore. Any accident or injury at his age could mean permanent retirement. There's nothing weird about him being worried. It's perfectly reasonable and responsible to think about stuff like that, his health and his safety.

And that does not apply to older actors who do stunts or have to run up a hill in a scene that is repeated 500 times?

Sorry, according to my expereience at least the extent in which it seems to be on his mind and he talks about is is unusual.
My actors aren't like this and they are not naive or irresponsible either.

And that does not apply to older actors who do stunts or have to run up a hill in a scene that is repeated 500 times?

Sorry, according to my expereience at least the extent in which it seems to be on his mind and he talks about is is unusual.
My actors aren't like this and they are not naive or irresponsible either.
Two different worlds. Touring takes months and even when you have downtime, you don't get to properly relax. You are playing two hours of high energy shows, you have to travel around. It's not really comparable and trying to armchair diagnose Steve is pretty weird.

Also, while not desirable, you can have breaks during filming and the scheduling is different. An actor won't be filming high intensity stunts every single day for months (unless they're Tom Cruise I suppose lol). If something happens to Steve the entire tour has to be postponed or outright cancelled.

I don't really get the argument why it is so different. Filming a movie takes months. You do travel around. It can be 2 hours high energy work, but sometimes the whole day.
I already explained the difference. Steve has to bring the same energy every show. An actor will not shoot the same exact scene for multiple months. I also explained how the actor can get breaks in between, or how they could schedule around tough shoots to maximize productivity, which is not applicable to being one of the main parts of a two hour show.

Also, let's not pretend that most 60 year old actors are doing intense stunts or their own stunts in the first place. The vast majority don't. So, who's to say that actors don't have the same thoughts as Steve? Bottom line, I think it's perfectly reasonable for a person in Steve's shoes to think about stuff like that. If you think that's weird, then so be it, but I'm not a fan of armchair psychology and trying to blow something so innocuous out of proportion.

So... if Steve is aware he's not youngster anymore, then why he is still playing football? He can be injured in one second. The answer is, i think, Steve still thinks he is youngster, at least in his heart. And out of this body versus mind dissonance comes verbal angst. :ninja:
Yours truly, armchair hero PhD.

Back