The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all honesty, I think they may have given a go at rehearsals of songs from SIT before the announcement. I know that album is difficult to pull off live and I would think they'd have tried before announcing a tour around it but who knows.
Of course.
Since Senjutsu hasn’t had a ‘proper’ tour I think they open with a song from the newest album. CSIT will be a bit later.

I think if they start with CSIT it makes it feel more like a traditional hits tour.
I agree with you, and they should open with a new song, but CSIT better be played only as an opener to sound as much as energetic as possible. Like Aces High. Steve has always wanted to film the original 1986 tour and will probably want to recreate the opener from that time (plus Blade Runner intro). And they already opened with a Senjutsu song and stage last year. This year the stage will be futuristic, so I guess they will open with CSIT and then the 2nd song will be from Senjutsu.

Btw, the 1982 tour didn't open with a song from Number Of The Beast album.

IF they play CSiT, and I'll believe it when I see it, if it's not the opener, then possibly they start the encore with it. It does seem like a song that you'd hit the stage to, rather than insert mid set.

Futureal should be opener.
I don't see it happening. As much as I'd like to hear it again, no, this is not a Hits tour. It's a hybrid tour and THE tour for the new album, so if they don't play CSIT - DOFP should be the opener.
IF they play CSiT, and I'll believe it when I see it, if it's not the opener, then possibly they start the encore with it. It does seem like a song that you'd hit the stage to, rather than insert mid set.
For sure, like Aces High, but look what happened to it last year (although it was because of its prop). I highly doubt it will be in the encores though.

That's because Adrian starts the song. He has always preferred to play some songs slightly slower. 2 Minutes to Midnight is another example. Adrian plays the intro slower and when the band enters the tempo goes up.
Yepp. You can tell the difference between Janick (Rio) and Adrian a few years later ( Flight 666)
I agree with you.

BUT, Steve still regrets today that SOT has not been filmed (the guilt to the manager, according to him). And because SOT is the only tour that didn't get a proper video recording, my opinion is that they will begin the show with the SIT opener. And maybe will continue with Sea Of Madness and Stranger In A Stranger Land (maybe Deja Vu ?). :)

Nevertheless, you must be right saying they will open with a new track, who knows ? ;)
Agreed. The main purpose with this tour should be to document as much of SiT as possible. Play the whole thing, base the stage design on SiT.

If we don’t get Alexander even this time, Sea of Madness is played instead of it, so the setlist might be:

1. Caught Somewhere in Time
2. Stratego
3. The Writing on the Wall
4. The Trooper
5. Sea of Madness
6. Death of the Celts
7. Stranger in a Strange World
8. Heaven Can Wait
9. Futureal
10. Hell on Earth
11. Hallowed Be Thy Name
12. Fear of the Dark
13. Iron Maiden

ENCORE:
1. The Number of the Beast
2. Wasted Years
3. Blood Brothers

If we don’t get Alexander even this time, Sea of Madness is played instead of it, so the setlist might be:

1. Caught Somewhere in Time
2. Stratego
3. The Writing on the Wall
4. The Trooper
5. Sea of Madness
6. Death of the Celts
7. Stranger in a Strange World
8. Heaven Can Wait
9. Futureal
10. Hell on Earth
11. Hallowed Be Thy Name
12. Fear of the Dark
13. Iron Maiden

ENCORE:
1. The Number of the Beast
2. Wasted Years
3. Blood Brothers
If they don't play ATG I would say there is a real possibility we might get Loneliness, as Steve recently mentioned as one song they should probably play again

One thing that surprises me about the speculation here and in the setlist thread is that nobody (myself included) is entertaining the possibility that they do five songs from one album and then five songs from the other album all clustered together. If they really are doing five each like some folks think, it could make sense as they can also alter the stage like they did on LOTB.

It's interesting that everybody is coalescing around Loneliness as a song that has a high chance of being played. I would be delighted to hear it, although a big part of me feels like you could've asked Steve about any song in that interview and he would say "we should play that." Kinda reminds me of when he said he wishes they played Only the Good Die Young. Well, why don't you? That would be a real setlist highlight though, and it is a song that has only been played one more time than Alexander. :D

I went back and looked at my original setlist prediction, which is pretty conservative. No Alexander the Great, only four songs from Senjutsu including one they played already, and a couple "old reliables" to fill out the set. I mostly stand by that prediction, although I think I mostly missed on Senjutsu. While I think Writing on the Wall stays, I can see them pulling out another epic (I'm starting to feel pretty bullish that both Hell On Earth and Parchment will make the set). @Diesel 11 posted some really nice stats on the setlist prediction thread and only 9 people have Darkest Hour in their setlist. I. could see this being a pretty big dark horse pick, as it is a pretty simple and slow song that might be easy for the band to put together quickly, which leads me to my final point:

The trickiest thing about predicting what they're going to play is that by the very nature of the theme it seems like this show is going to require much more rehearsal time than Maiden usually allots time for/what they seem willing to do. Both albums contain some of their most complicated material and both albums contain a whole heap of songs that have either rarely been played live or never been played live (given that they recorded Senjutsu 4 years ago now, re-learning some of those songs is probably going to be a similar undertaking to relearning Alexander the Great or anything else off that album). I have a hard time believing that they are going to even want to rehearse and pull off Parchment, Alexander, CSIT, Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, etc etc. These are among the most complex and technically demanding songs in their catalog, which makes me feel we're more likely to just get one or two. But at the same time, I don't think they would agree to a tour like this if they weren't prepared to put that work in. I think the people who suggested they've been rehearsing some of these songs already may be on to something. I can imagine that they would only agree to a tour like this after successfully rehearsing some of those Somewhere in Time songs at soundchecks on the previous tour. We'll see, I'm getting really hyped about it!

While I think Writing on the Wall stays, I can see them pulling out another epic (I'm starting to feel pretty bullish that both Hell On Earth and Parchment will make the set). @Diesel 11 posted some really nice stats on the setlist prediction thread and only 9 people have Darkest Hour in their setlist. I. could see this being a pretty big dark horse pick
I also didn't include it in my picks, but I bet it gets played. You're definitely correct that they need some easier, steady numbers for this set.
One thing that surprises me about the speculation here and in the setlist thread is that nobody (myself included) is entertaining the possibility that they do five songs from one album and then five songs from the other album all clustered together. If they really are doing five each like some folks think, it could make sense as they can also alter the stage like they did on LOTB.
This is a seriously great point in terms of stage logistics, but I just don't see it happening. Lumping that many songs together from the same album has literally only been done in the early years and on the AMOLAD tour.

I do agree that thinking about thematic backdrops/worlds is a solid angle for setlist predictions, though.

Obvious "time" themed setting
Caught Somewhere in Time
Deja Vu
Days of Future Past
The Time Machine

Western setting
Stranger in a Strange Land
The Writing on the Wall

Religion/Heaven/Hell setting
Heaven Can Wait
Hell on Earth (obviously they could also just place this one in the normal hell world with NoTB Eddie)

Ancient lands setting
Alexander the Great
Death of the Celts
The Parchment
Senjutsu

Madness setting (could also reference SSoaSS and get a surprise Can I Play with Madness)
Sea of Madness
Lost in a Lost World

War setting (could also include literally 20 other Maiden tunes here)
Stratego
Darkest Hour

The only songs that don't have a strong correlation for a backdrop are Wasted Years (which will be an encore and doesn't need one) and Long Distance Runner.

Considering the lack of rehearsal-related news, I think that new complex they have bought in London recently (Matrix Studios) might house a rehearsal studio too, and they are simply rehearsing there.

My good friend, who was on the begginig of rehersal :)
Then the band said that he have to go out
So, in what country are the rehearsals? Croatia? Slovenia?

That list of songs strangely makes sense if it was played in reverse order. They always soundcheck (if they do one) with Wrathchild, like India 2008, despite they might not play it in the show, next up an overplayed dynamic song that they could play in their sleep and then the potential opener.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back