The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve wrote the music, but the lyrics (and the vocal melody?) were 100 % by Blaze.

Therefore, I don't think Steve or any other band member will push for that song. Back in 1998, Steve even preferred "The Angel and The Gambler", which he composed alone, as the first single from Virtual XI...

I don't think Steve has issues perfoming songs that contain parts he didn't write, or were written by folks who aren't in the band... ;)
*cough* Hallowed *cough*

I was speculating with some other fans and thinking about the props Maiden will use during the Future Past tour and what they may or may not reuse from the Legacy of the Beast tour or past tours. My thoughts:

• Samurai Eddie - Will definitely return in my opinion. Maybe not during the song "Senjutsu" since they probably won't play that during this tour, but maybe during another song from the Senjutsu album. And since Samurai Eddie is on the tour poster, it only makes sense that he would return.

• Bruce's "Fear of the Dark" costume - In doubt since he introduced this costume during the Legacy of the Beast tour and since that was a very thematic tour (based/inspired by the game admittedly) I don't know if it "makes sense" if it returns during the Future Past tour. While the costume does add something to the song I think it is completely outside the theme of the Future Past tour.

• The noose of "Hallowed Be Thy Name"- Again, a very cool addition on this song, but also the same as with the "Fear of the Dark" costume. The theme from the Legacy of the Beast tour was so strong, I don't know if it would fit the Future Past tour as well. Now the noose is not a big prop, so maybe they will just apply it, but if the theme becomes "neon Japan" by way of, I don't know to what extent it will fit.

• Trooper Eddie - I think Bruce said it very well in the video of the band members thanking us fans for the Legacy of the Beast tour. "Let's put Eddie to bed". I don't think we will see Trooper Eddie walking on stage anymore. Simply because Trooper Eddie played a big role during the Legacy of the Beast tour (I mean, he was on just about every poster and tour merch) and it's now time for something else. It was really great to see Bruce and Eddie fighting on stage, but I think if they did it again, it would become outdated and boring because we have already seen it for 3 years (2018, 2019, 2022).

• The Japanese temples - Part of me says we will see them again since they were only used for a very short time (only in 2022) and thus had very little stage time since the Japanese stage was taken down after only 3 songs. But another part of me thinks very strongly that we are going to see a totally new and unique stage made especially for this tour. A "futuristic Japan" theme as we also see in the promo video for this tour perhaps?

Further, some "new" props that I think are cool to see:
  • Stranger in a Strange Land Eddie - We've seen Cyborg Eddie as we know him from the cover of Somewhere in Time on stage before. Most recently during the Somewhere Back in Time tour. Therefore, I thought it would be cool to see a Stranger in a Strange Land Eddie during the corresponding song for a change. And since Stranger in a Strange Land Eddie is also on the tour poster, it seems like a logical move.

• Cyborg Eddie VS Samurai Eddie - Still to bring in Cyborg Eddie in; We have NEVER seen 2 Eddie's on stage at the same time until now. Why not change that and let the 2 Eddie's fight it out? During which song? It could be during Time Machine although I think that song is a little too melodic for that. Maybe during The Trooper or Iron Maiden?

• A "new" inflatable Eddie during "Iron Maiden" - We all know him. The giant Eddie who appears behind Nicko during the song "Iron Maiden." We have seen him on many tours and always in different formats. During the Legacy of the Beast tour we had devil Eddie, The Book of Souls tour was shaman Eddie and during the Final Frontier tour we saw an alien Eddie, although this one was not fully inflatable (more mechanical). Give us a new inflatable giant Eddie. Maybe Senjutsu Eddie, or the Eddie we see on the poster, who is half Samurai and half Cyborg.

• An "Alexander the Great" prop - I'm not quite sure what I'd rather imagine; Bruce wearing a unique suit during this song or a version of Eddie coming on stage wearing a Alexander suit. Either way, it would be cool if there was something of a prop to this song since this is probably the song almost everyone is looking forward to.

• "Flight of Icarus" rifle, but with a laser - Simple, give Bruce a gun or rifle similair to the one we saw on the Legacy of the Beast tour that shoots laser beams into the audience or into the air during one of the Somewhere in Time songs.
These are just a few ideas, but I think they could work and are not too far fetched. Let me know what you all think and if you have any ideas of your own, let me (and us) know!
I don't think they will use any of the props from LOTB tour. And they won't fit the new stage theme. Japanese temples? I doubt it.

Samurai Eddie during ''The Writing On The Wall'' (for example), Cyborg Eddie from ''Stranger In A Strange Land'' cover during the same song and big Eddie during ''Iron Maiden'' (the hybrid form from the tour poster or the Samurai. I want the latter, and I don't want the Cyborg for big Eddie).
I doubt we'll see a fight between the two Eddies on stage.

Stage props -> my thoughts:
''The Writing On The Wall'' - walk-on Senjutsu Eddie.
''Hell On Earth'' - without prop.
''The Parchment'' - there is potential for a prop (parchment, towers), but with the theme of the tour I don't think they can fit one.
''The Time Machine'' - inflatable time machine? Why not. Bruce to come out of it after the intro.
''Days Of Future Past'' - without prop, but I'm not sure since it's the tour name.
Senjutsu/Stratego/Darkest Hour/Lost World/Celts - I would say Japanese towers for Senjutsu within the futuristic decor (double stage!), but this isn't very likely. For the other songs, fog for Lost World/Darkest Hour and sword for Celts, I guess.

''Caught Somewhere In Time'' - hi-tech jacket for Bruce (very likely), laser gun (unlikely) or... inflatable space ship lol.
''Wasted Years'' - without prop.
''Stranger In A Strange Land'' - walk-on Cyborg Eddie.
''Alexander The Great'' - most likely there will be; sword again? Costume for Bruce? I doubt it.
Heaven/Sea/Runner - I doubt they'll have props, if they play them.

''Iron Maiden'' - big Senjutsu Eddie.
''The Trooper'' - the traditional jacket, or maybe not?
''Fear Of The Dark'' - without prop, just lights, or maybe the lantern again?
''Hallowed Be Thy Name'' - without prop; I can't think of anything that can fit.
''The Number Of The Beast'' - most likely without prop for the first time in a long time.

Other old songs (2 Minutes/Clairvoyant/Prisoner/Futureal/Eclipse) - without props. Idk, (big) inflatable clock or inflatable crystal ball...
Steve wrote the music, but the lyrics (and the vocal melody?) were 100 % by Blaze.

Therefore, I don't think Steve or any other band member will push for that song. Back in 1998, Steve even preferred "The Angel and The Gambler", which he composed alone, as the first single from Virtual XI...
All of this is true, but I don't think Steve has a problem, and for the last 2 tours Bruce is responsible for the setlists and he likes Futureal a lot.

Further, some "new" props that I think are cool to see:
  • Stranger in a Strange Land Eddie - We've seen Cyborg Eddie as we know him from the cover of Somewhere in Time on stage before. Most recently during the Somewhere Back in Time tour. Therefore, I thought it would be cool to see a Stranger in a Strange Land Eddie during the corresponding song for a change. And since Stranger in a Strange Land Eddie is also on the tour poster, it seems like a logical move.
I think we might see a polar explorer Bruce during that song. He freezes during the slow part of H's solo and is resurrected by SIASL Eddie during the fast part.

• "Flight of Icarus" rifle, but with a laser - Simple, give Bruce a gun or rifle similair to the one we saw on the Legacy of the Beast tour that shoots laser beams into the audience or into the air during one of the Somewhere in Time songs.
That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I do think we'll get two walk-on Eddies - SIASL Eddie and Senjutsu Eddie. I imagine the big inflatable Eddie will be the hybrid one from the tour poster.

Minutes/Clairvoyant/Prisoner/Futureal/Eclipse) - without props. Idk, (big) inflatable clock or inflatable crystal ball...

If they'd want to include the doomsday clock in the show, I think a new backdrop artwork would do fine... They'd probably use the classic one, though, or an "updated" version that ties to the visual layout of the show (like the icy one from Maiden England tour). :)

Maiden has mastered the skill of being sometimes dangerously close to Spinal tap, but walking it off (well, the toilet Eddie from Give Me 'Ed tour might want to have a word...), but... An inflatable clock would probably be a bit too much. :D

Maiden has mastered the skill of being sometimes dangerously close to Spinal tap, but walking it off (well, the toilet Eddie from Give Me 'Ed tour might want to have a word...), but... An inflatable clock would probably be a bit too much. :D
What again was the toilet Eddie from the GMETID tour? Thanks in advance for clearing that up. :) And: It'd be interesting to have a list of things that ever brought Maiden close to Spinal Tap. What examples come to your mind? :)

I think we might see a polar explorer Bruce during that song.
I can imagine Bruce thought about that. A bit like his costume for Where Eagles Dare.
If they'd want to include the doomsday clock in the show, I think a new backdrop artwork would do fine... They'd probably use the classic one, though, or an "updated" version that ties to the visual layout of the show (like the icy one from Maiden England tour). :)

Yeah, silly idea, but you know, inflatable props are one of Maiden's favorite things.
:lol:
The doomsday clock would make a good backdrop for 2 Minutes, especially for the theme of this tour. The single cover is a classic (Adrian likes it a lot), but how come they haven't used such a backdrop so far.
I don't expect ''updated'' backdrops like for the ME tour (original covers only), although it would be curious.

I wonder if they will use more backdrops with Eddie (for the new & for the old songs) during this tour. I think it will be 50/50, like for TBOS tour.

quit_maiden.jpg

Honestly, this is how it feels on these forums and on the Iron Maiden subreddit. Maybe a little less here than on Reddit, but still. There are so many people burning down this tour because it has Senjutsu in it. You wouldn't believe how many people I run into on Facebook scolding you and saying you don't know what real music is because you think Senjutsu is a great album, it's ridiculous! Why can't I be hyped for this tour and like both Somewhere in Time AND Senjutsu? Why does there have to be such a separation between those two albums and the fanbase? I really don't get it! The Future Past tour is perhaps the most ambitious tour yet, if only because it features old and new and they are going to try a concept they have never tried before.

But again, I'm like the guys on the couch. Let the haters talk and let me enjoy my shit! Can't stop the hype, won't stop the hype! I'm just glad we're getting some more Senjutsu songs and honestly can't control my nerves when I hear Time Machine, The Parchment or Hell on Earth live!

Last edited:
Senjutsu is by far my favourite Maiden reunion album!
Don´t believe the haters.
Yeah, mine too. Maybe I was inundated with hype before the release because this would be my first Maiden album to come out after I became a fan, but I don't think I would be listening to it as much in 2023 if that was the case. It is a rock solid album and I can't pinpoint a single song I would skip or dislike!

Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, and there will certainly be people who don't click with the album, but there are so many people who unfairly condemn the album as the worst album ever and it feels like there are few people who, like me, find the album a gem in Maiden's discography. I can say with certainty and pride that this album is my most listened to album ever and probably my favorite album ever and I doubt there will be another album that comes close to how I feel about Senjutsu.

View attachment 24763

Honestly, this is how it feels on these forums and on the Iron Maiden subreddit. Maybe a little less here than on Reddit, but still. There are so many people burning down this tour because it has Senjutsu in it. You wouldn't believe how many people I run into on Facebook scolding you and saying you don't know what real music is because you think Senjutsu is a great album, it's ridiculous! Why can't I be hyped for this tour and like both Somewhere in Time AND Senjutsu? Why does there have to be such a separation between those two albums and the fanbase? I really don't get it! The Future Past tour is perhaps the most ambitious tour yet, if only because it features old and new and they are going to try a concept they have never tried before.

But again, I'm like the guys on the couch. Let the haters talk and let me enjoy my shit! Can't stop the hype, won't stop the hype! I'm just glad we're getting some more Senjutsu songs and honestly can't control my nerves when I hear Time Machine, The Parchment or Hell on Earth live!
Senjutsu is a modern classic and one of my favorite albums of the band, but I'm not surprised. Such reactions are very common for the newer albums of any band really, especially with a classic album in the set. Different opinions, I know, but I can't understand some things: it's not like Maiden's new albums are weak; they did a Hits tour for 3 years, so the next thing of course is a tour for a new album, for which the fans know Maiden play a lot of songs from. Some fans can say what they want about the album, but in reality it's an album with great music and without fillers! That's a fact. The album is really liked and I think it has more positive reviews more than TBOS. And if some fans think the album is really weak, well, it's their loss, and it's far from the truth. The best thing is that those fans who don't like it will have to go if they want to hear SIT, haha.

It's not about hype. I'm really curious if Maiden will top it.

I agree about the concept of the tour. For me this is the Maiden tour (maybe after Ed Hunter/Brave New World tours) that deserves the title ''the most anticipated tour'' of the band. The classic album SIT helps a lot about that, and the amazing songs in Senjutsu, ofc.
well, the toilet Eddie from Give Me 'Ed tour might want to have a word...)
The big Eddie for Give Me Ed tour is really ugly, but it's not that bad. :p This Eddie only as a head from 1983 is better, haha.

You all will see, Futureal will be opening song.
Because it fits 100%. Because it's short and fast and gets you going.
And like Sign of the Cross and The Clansman it's a nod to Maiden's Blaze era.
Screen shot it.

99% Wasted Years will be last song of the set.
Oh man I would honestly cry of joy! As much as I love to see CSiT as opener I really want to hear Futureal live!

Though I highly doubt it because, as others have stated, CSiT will most likely be the opening song if they decide to play it.

There's a lot of songs I could potentially see as fillers inbetween SiT and Senjutsu songs. Wicker Man, 2 Minutes, Madness, Wrathchild, Speed of Light, Two Worlds Collide, Children of the Damned and maybe even Total Eclipse. But Futureal is definitely in that list as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back