The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mother Of Mercy:

Some say you are a lost cause, some say you're a saint
Just being here's and act of suffering and restraint
Walked down a long dark road to ruin and panic not
I'll die a lonely death, of that I'm certain of

Not sure what bothers me more, this or the "Now we need to know the truth now" in The Man Of Sorrows :D

Liked as much as Alexander? Don't think there are any. Empire is beloved, but I can't see Maiden ever performing that one live. Maybe Bruce solo, but not Maiden.

'For we all to dust descend, heaven knows when life will end' is one that sticks out to me :lol: 'The Parchment' is my favourite from Senjutsu, though

@matic22 and @Diplomat - can I ask for favour (as I think you're both from Ljubljana)? On May 29th (ie the day after the show), I'm planning to hike to the top of Mt. Stol. By any chance have you tried this before? I've been trying to get information about the route online but a lot of it's contradictory. I have two (quick) questions if either of you have done this before. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
@matic22 and @Diplomat - can I ask for favour (as I think you're both from Ljubljana)? On May 29th (ie the day after the show), I'm planning to hike to the top of Mt. Stol. By any chance have you tried this before? I've been trying to get information about the route online but a lot of it's contradictory. I have two (quick) questions if either of you have done this before. Thank you in advance!
Did a few years back... In 2020. What would you like to know?

I think we would be more likely to see Gers dance on the piano...
dancing-piano.gif

Did a few years back... In 2020. What would you like to know?
The main thing I was trying to figure out is how long the hike takes. I've read online anywhere from 3 hours (up and back) to 8 hours. I was planning to start in the town (village?) of Zirovnica, since it looks easy to get there by public transit from Ljubljana. Then hike to Valvasorjev dom pod Stolom (hut), and from there to the top (I understand there's another hut very near the summit, but it may not be open in May). I'm in reasonably good shape but, living in Toronto Canada, I've hardly ever hiked mountainous terrain like this.

My other question is how difficult is to find the trail - would it be obvious, or should I look into getting a map/guidebook? Thanks in advance and I owe you a beer (seriously).

The main thing I was trying to figure out is how long the hike takes. I've read online anywhere from 3 hours (up and back) to 8 hours. I was planning to start in the town (village?) of Zirovnica, since it looks easy to get there by public transit from Ljubljana. Then hike to Valvasorjev dom pod Stolom (hut), and from there to the top (I understand there's another hut very near the summit, but it may not be open in May). I'm in reasonably good shape but, living in Toronto Canada, I've hardly ever hiked mountainous terrain like this.

My other question is how difficult is to find the trail - would it be obvious, or should I look into getting a map/guidebook? Thanks in advance and I owe you a beer (seriously).
Well, if you plan to hike from Žirovnica, this might take too long for you.

I think your best bet is to do what we did and drive up to Valvasorjev Dom with a car. From there there are 2 main trails. Both marked quite well and both take between 2 h and 2 h 30 min. One of them is called Žirovniška Trail and the other is called Zabrežka trail. Zabrežka trail is longer but more forgiving as it doesn't go straight upwards. Žirovniška trail is 2 hours of non stop ascent. Whatever suits you.

You don't need a safety climbing belt for either as neither is via ferrata, however, it's good if you rent a helmet because of the potential rocks rolling downhill.

If you go on foot from Žirovnica, I think you are looking at 4-4,5 h ascent with around 1800 m height difference.

I also think the trails are mapped on Google maps (at least one is).

Also, check for snow. Although, it will be May and it's on the trails are on the south side of the mountain, so you should be fine.

And lastly, try to go as early as posibble as in our Alps the weather changes quicker in the afternoon, so if you can summit Stol around 12 or 1pm, that's the best way to do it. Again, it will be May and you should be fine, but one can never know.

Hope that helps and if you need anything else just ask.

P. S. I am sitting in my new office now overlooking Arena Stožice, which is 400 meters away from me. May can't come soon enough.

Last edited:
I just saw that some countries are offering a collector ticket for the Future Past tour. Turns out my country (the Netherlands) does not, while they did for the Legacy of the Beast tour. I'm kind of bummed about that. I love these kind of souvenir tickets that I can put on display in my house and look at in a few years.

Has anyone ordered tickets like this? Or are they not available for your country either? Took this picture from ticketmaster Norway by the way.

78c0a1932da48895b8a15f802c0b88d1.png

I just saw that some countries are offering a collector ticket for the Future Past tour. Turns out my country (the Netherlands) does not, while they did for the Legacy of the Beast tour. I'm kind of bummed about that. I love these kind of souvenir tickets that I can put on display in my house and look at in a few years.

Has anyone ordered tickets like this? Or are they not available for your country either? Took this picture from ticketmaster Norway by the way.

I'm sure S. Juras has his own fake ticket. Watch out! :lol:

Germany and Poland:

312024342_5541307795954870_5803476952856152290_n.jpg316659040_5605998026152513_1035021355019394890_n.jpg

Jealous of these physical tickets. All I get are QR codes on my phone.

I am really looking forward to receiving my physical Rammstein tickets in July, but I would love to have another collectible ticket for Future Past. Oh well, bad luck I guess.

The 2016 set list is a weird one for me. Who in their right mind thought that the first 5 songs of the set would go down a storm with a festival crowd?

It was a Maiden album tour, if the songs didn't suit a festival then the issue is with the promoters booking a Maiden album tour for such an event, not with Maiden picking their setlist.

They seemed to go down as well as any other gig where I was standing.

Collector tickets are just another way they have found to rip off concert goers.

It was a Maiden album tour, if the songs didn't suit a festival then the issue is with the promoters booking a Maiden album tour for such an event, not with Maiden picking their setlist.

They seemed to go down as well as any other gig where I was standing.
I would have enjoyed the set if I saw them in 2016 (Went in 2017). In my opinion, I have never been sure of Maiden front loading set lists with new material even when they are playing to festivals. I would rather see them spread out new material and the ’classics’ out more I think it makes it more interesting. Last year at Donnington, I basically checked out after FOI. I hung around for The Clansman but the usual run of classics bored me.

Well, if you plan to hike from Žirovnica, this might take too long for you.

I think your best bet is to do what we did and drive up to Valvasorjev Dom with a car. From there there are 2 main trails. Both marked quite well and both take between 2 h and 2 h 30 min. One of them is called Žirovniška Trail and the other is called Zabrežka trail. Zabrežka trail is longer but more forgiving as it doesn't go straight upwards. Žirovniška trail is 2 hours of non stop ascent. Whatever suits you.

You don't need a safety climbing belt for either as neither is via ferrata, however, it's good if you rent a helmet because of the potential rocks rolling downhill.

If you go on foot from Žirovnica, I think you are looking at 4-4,5 h ascent with around 1800 m height difference.

I also think the trails are mapped on Google maps (at least one is).

Also, check for snow. Although, it will be May and it's on the trails are on the south side of the mountain, so you should be fine.

And lastly, try to go as early as posibble as in our Alps the weather changes quicker in the afternoon, so if you can summit Stol around 12 or 1pm, that's the best way to do it. Again, it will be May and you should be fine, but one can never know.

Hope that helps and if you need anything else just ask.

P. S. I am sitting in my new office now overlooking Arena Stožice, which is 400 meters away from me. May can't come soon enough.
Awesome! Thank you for the detailed reply. I really appreciate it (and I'll let you know how the climb goes).

As an aside, I'm planning to spend almost a week in Slovenia. I knew hardly anything about the country before October. I can't wait for the concert, of course, but I'm also really looking forward to visiting Ljubljana and the surrounding area. Doing the trip planning, it's almost overwhelming how much there is to see (especially if you like being outdoors). I wish I booked more than the six days.

Awesome! Thank you for the detailed reply. I really appreciate it (and I'll let you know how the climb goes).

As an aside, I'm planning to spend almost a week in Slovenia. I knew hardly anything about the country before October. I can't wait for the concert, of course, but I'm also really looking forward to visiting Ljubljana and the surrounding area. Doing the trip planning, it's almost overwhelming how much there is to see (especially if you like being outdoors). I wish I booked more than the six days.
No problem at all.

Btw, if you are spending a day in the mountains, you should also spend a day at the sea side. Bus from Ljubljana to city of Koper takes approx 1 hour and is dirt cheap at the weekends (2 euros).

I would have enjoyed the set if I saw them in 2016 (Went in 2017). In my opinion, I have never been sure of Maiden front loading set lists with new material even when they are playing to festivals. I would rather see them spread out new material and the ’classics’ out more I think it makes it more interesting. Last year at Donnington, I basically checked out after FOI. I hung around for The Clansman but the usual run of classics bored me.

DIdn't realise you were talking about 2017. I was there in 2016, so I can't comment on how well the songs went down in 2017.

Re: front loading the set. I don't have a strong opinion either way, other than I want to see a significant quantity of new material on a tour wherever they put it in the set. There's so many bands that I've seen down through the years that their set lists are, for the most part, the same every tour, one of the joys of Maiden is that having seen them on 13 tours, each of those tours has been significantly different from each other, and this is mostly down to them backing the new material on the album tours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back