The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe not the final setlist, but they definitely have a selection of songs they will choose from. If I had to guess, I would guess the setlist was decided before the LOTB tour was finished.
In the documentary on Death on the road, if i remember correctly, someone said they started planning about a year ahead before a tour, so they could construct the sets, program the light shows, make an Eddie, eventually add costumes and so on. So yes, they probably have a very good idea how the setlist will be before they are announcing a tour :)

In the documentary on Death on the road, if i remember correctly, someone said they started planning about a year ahead before a tour, so they could construct the sets, program the light shows, make an Eddie, eventually add costumes and so on. So yes, they probably have a very good idea how the setlist will be before they are announcing a tour :)
I'd say 80% of the conceptual setlist stay and 20% are late additions.

On TBOS, TOAC and Wasted Years were late additions for example.

As far as The Parchment is concerned, I can see it go either way. I don't really see the comparison to The Red And The Black. TRATB was clearly written as a live anthem with all the "whoah" parts and the minutes upon minutes of guitar leads perfectly suited for audience sing alongs. It almost feels triumphant and celebratory.

The Parchment is a great song, but it has a much darker, almost oppresive and gloomy, atmosphere. It also features a ton of lyrics and much less "audience-friendly" melodies, compared to TRATB specifically.

Hell On Earth will definitely make the setlist, in my opinion. Death Of The Celts, even though it's my least favorite on the album, has great chances to be included as well. The Clansman has proven itself as a fan favorite, no reason for the spiritual sequel to at least get a chance. Also, another excuse for Steve to bring out the old acoustic bass. LIALW seems to be rather unpopular with the fans. I adore the piece and the majority of the song (everything except the chorus I guess) is rather easy to sing for Bruce.

I can't see more than two Senjutsu epics making the list, so I'd say HOE and DOTC are probably the ones they'll play.

Waiting for the edit that's entirely The Angel And The Gambler and Wrathchild.
Imagine people there waiting for something truly remarkable and the thing that they've waited so much..
Out of the PA starts the tape with "My son ask for..." then something occurs, the tape gets stuck or somehow breaks totally and band abruptly starts to play extended version TAATG.

What about a song from the Book of Souls or The Final Frontier making the set instead of a Senjutsu track?

This tour's "Lord of the Flies" (like in 2003 / 2004):

Speed of Light, Death or Glory or Coming Home?

I was thinking, could Maiden drop 2 of the big classics (like they did in 2006) for the tour to play more deep cuts?
The play classics crowd will be pleased with the SIT songs. I think they will drop at least one. But I can't see them dropping Trooper or Hallowed, although the setlist will be full of long songs. The easiest solution for more deep cuts is to make the setlist 16 songs (not 15). Futureal is a short song... :innocent:

What about a song from the Book of Souls or The Final Frontier making the set instead of a Senjutsu track?

It would be nice, but they do not seem to hold those albums in a high esteem, at least not high enough to play songs off them live anymore.

On TBOS, TOAC and Wasted Years were late additions for example.
Which songs were swapped? I've forgotten. HCW and another new/Reunion song? RTTH? Or the setlist was longer.
As far as The Parchment is concerned, I can see it go either way. I don't really see the comparison to The Red And The Black. TRATB was clearly written as a live anthem with all the "whoah" parts and the minutes upon minutes of guitar leads perfectly suited for audience sing alongs. It almost feels triumphant and celebratory.

The Parchment is a great song, but it has a much darker, almost oppresive and gloomy, atmosphere. It also features a ton of lyrics and much less "audience-friendly" melodies, compared to TRATB specifically.

Death Of The Celts, even though it's my least favorite on the album, has great chances to be included as well. The Clansman has proven itself as a fan favorite, no reason for the spiritual sequel to at least get a chance. Also, another excuse for Steve to bring out the old acoustic bass.

I can't see more than two Senjutsu epics making the list,
TRATB is a more lively song, yes. Parchment is also without a chorus and with ton of lyrics and not so much ''audience-friendly'' melodies, but so is Rime. The only difference is the tempo. Senjutsu isn't that different either. As I've said before, the tempo of Parchment is slow, it's a long song, but with the amount of solos, the melodies and riffs, the fast part at the end and the amazing vibe it will create a great and unique atmosphere live. It's a song written with that in mind; A unique song in the band's discography for live performance though. The only other such song I can think of is To Tame A Land.

I agree about the DOTC and Clansman parallel, but I think they will choose a more unique song. As for the acoustic bass, aren't the intros of Parchment & Hell On Earth with acoustic bass too?

2 Senjutsu epics is guaranteed, but no more.

Everything is possible, but I doubt it. I think they will prefer to follow the theme of the tour and could add the fan favorite Brave New World as an additional Reunion song to the tour. This tour's Lord Of The Flies could be Futureal or a TFF & BNW song or even an AMOLAD song.
The Reunion song I want the most to be played live again is Out Of The Silent Planet.

From these two albums, Coming Home, Death Or Glory, Speed Of Light plus El Dorado and maybe WTWWB and The Final Frontier are the only songs I think could be played live again.

Futureal is a short song... :innocent:

I'm not entirely sure if Bruce thought Futureal worked really well for him, judging by this quote from 2018:

Well, you know, life's too short to go around chucking your ego around like that — it's childish, it's stupid. And, actually, some of those songs kind of worked [with my voice], some of them didn't, but you know what? They were all songs which a lot of IRON MAIDEN fans bought, and some of them, in particular 'The Clansman' and 'Sign Of The Cross', I think we really nailed those songs and I thought it was great material. Blaze's voice, obviously, was quite different than mine — it was a slightly lower register — and, actually, I wasn't complaining, 'cause I could use this kind of lower baritone tone and get quite kind of robust on it all. And I really enjoyed singing those songs."

On the other hand, I know that he said in an interview with Metal Hammer in 1998, that Futureal were one of the songs he would like to sing if he rejoined Maiden.

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure if Bruce thought Futureal worked really well for him, judging by this quote from 2018:
I'd say Man On The Edge. Btw, Futureal has a great chorus for crowd participation.
It would be nice, but they do not seem to hold those albums in a high esteem, at least not high enough to play songs off them live anymore.
I think most of the band members really like TBOS. Janick and Nicko for sure. All in all, I think they don't care that much about what's popular and most liked, especially for the Reunion albums.

Which songs were swapped? I've forgotten. HCW and another new/Reunion song? RTTH? Or the setlist was longer.
HCW and The Great Unknown.

HCW probably had something to do with fans on stage or the blazing fast verse lyrics and TGU was replaced by Nicko's request, because he really wanted to play TOAC.

Regarding Death of the Celts being spiritual successor of The Clansman. That is true. But as anthemic song Clansman is a clear winner. There's chorus/standard song structure. Celts as a live song may be not so crowd pleasing/involving.

Regarding Death of the Celts being spiritual successor of The Clansman. That is true. But as anthemic song Clansman is a clear winner. There's chorus/standard song structure. Celts as a live song may be not so crowd pleasing/involving.
Which is one of the reasons why I adore The Clansman, but don't really care for DOTC :D

It could work everywhere, but I think because of its long intro (without singing) & especially outro, it would be best in the middle of the set - like WTWWB (a song with a similar structure). The centerpiece of the setlist, maybe along with ATG (if it's not played in the encores). Parchment could be an early epic in the set like TRATB.
Really?? The vibe of HOE and it's central message, I just cannot see it working well in the middle of the set. There is a reason to closes the album.... I am curious to see how you think it could fit in the middle of next years set given the songs we on these forums will be aired....

As the running order of the set is talked above...

I'm surprised at how many people have predicted Alexander the Great to be featured in the encore. Don't get me wrong, it would sure be an exciting encore opener, but I doubt such complex and, in a way, demanding song would be placed there. Yes, they've played Hallowed and even Aces High there, but the Alexander, if it's played, will probably be accompanied by quite a remarkable theatrics, with some separete props etc. and I believe the band will want to tackle it a bit earlier on, to match the intensity and epicness of the verses & chorus. Of course they're capable of doing it in the encore as well, but I don't know... if they'll go all out with the song (which still isn't certain, but not so unlikely anymore either - I'm actually quite positive about it!), I just don't see it being dragged all the way to the encores instead of being a centerpiece in the main set in the vein of Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, The Book of Souls, Dance of Death/Paschendale and Sign of the Cross (LOTB).

The longer Senjutsu songs, save The Parchment maybe, don't have a lyrical or thematical narrative that would serve the stage theatrics in the same scale, so I'm all the more confident that Alexander the Great will be in the main set.

As for Hell on Earth, I think it goes down on how the setlist is structured. Hell on Earth could very well be almost right before Iron Maiden, with only one song in between (if any), or it could technically be played very early on if the pacing of the set makes it work.

Of course, they can do just as they wish. To be fair, over the past two or three tour cycles they have shaken up their most familiar setlist structures a little bit, so there's no saying Hell on Earth couldn't be played in this or that position. If it kind of closes an "act I" of the set, for example, it could work relatively early on, especially if a song with an intro tape (e.g The Number of the Beast, The Prisoner, Powerslave...) or something with "explosive energy" like Days of Future Past, The Trooper etc. is played right after. But yeah, we'll see... If anything, I'm quite sure that it will be in the set anyway! :D

Well, of course this is pure speculation at this point (duh), so we'll see...

As the running order of the set is talked above...

I'm surprised at how many people have predicted Alexander the Great to be featured in the encore. Don't get me wrong, it would sure be an exciting encore opener, but I doubt such complex and, in a way, demanding song would be placed there. Yes, they've played Hallowed and even Aces High there, but the Alexander, if it's played, will probably be accompanied by quite a remarkable theatrics, with some separete props etc. and I believe the band will want to tackle it a bit earlier on, to match the intensity and epicness of the verses & chorus. Of course they're capable of doing it in the encore as well, but I don't know... if they'll go all out with the song (which still isn't certain, but not so unlikely anymore either - I'm actually quite positive about it!), I just don't see it being dragged all the way to the encores instead of being a centerpiece in the main set in the vein of Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, The Book of Souls, Dance of Death/Paschendale and Sign of the Cross (LOTB).

The longer Senjutsu songs, save The Parchment maybe, don't have a lyrical or thematical narrative that would serve the stage theatrics in the same scale, so I'm all the more confident that Alexander the Great will be in the main set.

As for Hell on Earth, I think it goes down on how the setlist is structured. Hell on Earth could very well be almost right before Iron Maiden, with only one song in between (if any), or it could technically be played very early on if the pacing of the set makes it work.

Of course, they can do just as they wish. To be fair, over the past two or three tour cycles they have shaken up their most familiar setlist structures a little bit, so there's no saying Hell on Earth couldn't be played in this or that position. If it kind of closes an "act I" of the set, for example, it could work relatively early on, especially if a song with an intro tape (e.g The Number of the Beast, The Prisoner, Powerslave...) or something with "explosive energy" like Days of Future Past, The Trooper etc. is played right after. But yeah, we'll see... If anything, I'm quite sure that it will be in the set anyway! :D

Well, of course this is pure speculation at this point (duh), so we'll see...
Well, Bruce also said he would play Alexander in the midfield...

Maiden is very fond of the theme of a tour and the songs they play usually fit that. Yesterday when I was listening to Deja Vu it occurred to me that that song actually fits the tour quite well. Not just because it's a song from Somewhere in Time (obviously) but because the lyrics fit the theme very well;

When you see familiar faces
But you don't remember where they're from
Could you be wrong?

When you've been particular places
That you know you've never been before
Can you be sure?

'Cause you know this has happened before
And you know that this moment in time is for real
And you know when you feel deja-vu

Looking at the first part of the song they're singing about how they've been here before and how they've seen these faces before. They've already been on a Somewhere in Time themed tour and they're doing it again. Deja Vu you could say, right? So I think the song would fit perfectly in the setlist for that reason alone!

I personally wouldn't mind if they replaced Wasted Years for it. I love that song but I'd much rather hear Deja Vu, a song that has never been played live before!

Maiden is very fond of the theme of a tour and the songs they play usually fit that. Yesterday when I was listening to Deja Vu it occurred to me that that song actually fits the tour quite well. Not just because it's a song from Somewhere in Time (obviously) but because the lyrics fit the theme very well;

When you see familiar faces
But you don't remember where they're from
Could you be wrong?

When you've been particular places
That you know you've never been before
Can you be sure?

'Cause you know this has happened before
And you know that this moment in time is for real
And you know when you feel deja-vu

Looking at the first part of the song they're singing about how they've been here before and how they've seen these faces before. They've already been on a Somewhere in Time themed tour and they're doing it again. Deja Vu you could say, right? So I think the song would fit perfectly in the setlist for that reason alone!

I personally wouldn't mind if they replaced Wasted Years for it. I love that song but I'd much rather hear Deja Vu, a song that has never been played live before!
Would take Alexander, Stranger and Wasted Years over Deja Vu.

Would take Deja Vu over every other song on SIT, with the exception of maybe Sea Of Madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back