The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
this thread has inspired me to listen to some Metalcore.

I'm going to sound like an old man yelling at others to get off of my lawn.

2 songs in and I'm reaching for Sepultura and Killing Technology-era Voivod instead.

Hot take: Metalcore bands do a few interesting things with riffs and changeups from time to time, but its abundantly clear that they've also taken a great deal from the laborious, headache-inducing composition style of the band Tool (and band that consists of tools)
Which metalcore bands did you sample, out of interest?

Which metalcore bands did you sample, out of interest?

Guitars tend to be the bright spot, "jackhammer" sounding drums and vocal sound/effects are the weak spots (IMHO)

a few of the groups I listened to yesterday and today are Bullet for my Valentine, The Plot in Your, Afterglow, and this:

Guitars tend to be the bright spot, "jackhammer" sounding drums and vocal sound/effects are the weak spots (IMHO)

a few of the groups I listened to yesterday and today are Bullet for my Valentine, The Plot in Your, Afterglow, and this:

Nice, I was asking because metalcore has become quite a broad and vague term over the years. In the mid/late 90s it referred to bands that still had a lot of hardcore in their DNA, melded with some of the elements of metal that were contemporary at the time, these were very heavy bands like Integrity and Earth Crisis.

In the 00s people called bands like Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine, Killswitch Engage and Avenged Sevenfold metalcore, even though I would say Killswitch are the only ones that have a clear hardcore influence, the others I would just call 00s metal.

In the 2010s metalcore got very popular and also took a nosedive in terms of actual quality, in my opinion, more recent bands are a bit of a bastardisation of the term, usually having a very formulaic song structure of riff, heavy verse, whiny/weak clean vocal 'anthemic' chorus.

Personally I don't think any contemporary metalcore bands would be a good fit as a Maiden opener, I don't think there's too much crossover between metalcore fans and trad heavy metal fans, but there are a handful of metalcore acts that I do enjoy.

BFMV is pretty much the definition of uneven in my eyes. I still think their debut album, The Poison, is a 10/10 metalcore album. Sure, I've got massive amounts of nostalgia for it, but it's filled with fantastic riffs and great songs nonetheless.

Waited three years for Scream Aim Fire. Was incredibly hyped and thought it would be amazing, but it disappointed me greatly. Their third album was better, but not as good as the first. Then we got Temper Temper, which was straight up bad. So far we're going up and down, with a clear downward trend.

Next we got Venom, which was a return to form. Still not as great as The Poison, but better than any of their other albums. If they stayed with this as a template they could've made some amazing albums. Unfortunately they chose to forsake all of their good qualities to emphasize their weaknesses. They massively cut back on riffs and solos, while focusing on vocals and synths.

They really had potential, but somehow keep making bad decisions. Such a waste.

BFMV is pretty much the definition of uneven in my eyes. I still think their debut album, The Poison, is a 10/10 metalcore album. Sure, I've got massive amounts of nostalgia for it, but it's filled with fantastic riffs and great songs nonetheless.

Waited three years for Scream Aim Fire. Was incredibly hyped and thought it would be amazing, but it disappointed me greatly. Their third album was better, but not as good as the first. Then we got Temper Temper, which was straight up bad. So far we're going up and down, with a clear downward trend.

Next we got Venom, which was a return to form. Still not as great as The Poison, but better than any of their other albums. If they stayed with this as a template they could've made some amazing albums. Unfortunately they chose to forsake all of their good qualities to emphasize their weaknesses. They massively cut back on riffs and solos, while focusing on vocals and synths.

They really had potential, but somehow keep making bad decisions. Such a waste.
BFMV were on a great trajectory in terms of popularity, particularly in the UK, prior to Temper Temper as well. That album completely arrested their momentum in terms of venue sizes and they've stagnated ever since.

I thought the band peaked with Fever in 2010. Their later work is good too but less consistent than the first three albums.

Metalcore never caught me interest. Ironically, Atmospheric Black Metal has.

I thought Metalcore was too harsh, but here I am listening to bands like Panopticon, Wolves in the Throne Room, Nechochwen, Obsequaie, and Falls of Rauros - arguably harsher than most Metalcore bands. I guess that Black Metal shrieks are more palatable to my ears than Death Metal growls. Makes little objective sense for me to like one genre and not the other. Maybe its the marketing, with the ancient architecture/nature themed artwork?

Just about any band that has played at the "Fire in the Mountains" festival has caught my attention over the past few years.

If I had to watch some insufferable country act opening for Iron Maiden, I'd be pretty damn upset about where a part of my money went.

I had to watch a band who played a song that had the lyric "I like to say Fuck" and the frontman spun an umbrella around with Fuck written on it. And that was when Maiden were pushing the boat out in terms of bringing a young, popular band out on the road with them, in the hope of Maiden converting the younger bands fan base.

As much as I dislike the band Nirvana (big American Grunge act forced down our throats by eMpTyV when that channel was relevant and actual cultural tastemakers, some 25-30 odd years ago), I wish some of these modern bands would study songs like Smells Like Teen Spirit and how they increase the tension and create a powerful chorus.

Cobain was a genius man and Nirvana stayed true to their values all the way. How many bands you know that they declared a disappointment on their mega breakthrough album that took them out of obscurity due to its "too polished" sound? None, only them.

And not only that but for the following up album they’ve consciously chosen a return to a less commercial sound by choosing alternative producer Steve Albini.
Cobain was one of a kind. Personally I'm not aware of anyone before or after, that truly hated their immense success. Maybe only Jim Morrison of Doors 30 years earlier could compare to the giant Cobain was. Both dead at 28 by the way.

Steve Albini's work as a musician is also to be discovered.

Havent been this excited for the stage set reveal since Ed Huntour! Bring back the Virtual XI inflates!
I would say since TBOS tour. Inflatable props (like during the SIT tour and its heavily influenced VXI album & tour...and for LOTB tour) are certainly to be expected, of course they will look much better now.

I had to watch a band who played a song that had the lyric "I like to say Fuck" and the frontman spun an umbrella around with Fuck written on it. And that was when Maiden were pushing the boat out in terms of bringing a young, popular band out on the road with them, in the hope of Maiden converting the younger bands fan base.

Since then you have had to see a frontman who likes to say fuck quite a lot too. :p

Cobain was a genius man and Nirvana stayed true to their values all the way. How many bands you know that they declared a disappointment on their mega breakthrough album that took them out of obscurity due to its "too polished" sound? None, only them.

And not only that but for the following up album they’ve consciously chosen a return to a less commercial sound by choosing alternative producer Steve Albini.
Cobain was one of a kind. Personally I'm not aware of anyone before or after, that truly hated their immense success. Maybe only Jim Morrison of Doors 30 years earlier could compare to the giant Cobain was. Both dead at 28 by the way.

Steve Albini's work as a musician is also to be discovered.

Steve Albini is a great producer/recording engineer (the latter being his preferred description of his job).

He did a superb job in this gem of an album:

1672219244865.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back