The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
The target audience of The Raven Age and Maiden are not exactly the same. I think this scenario is bad for everyone. Maiden fans have to watch a band they don't like multiple times (I have already seen The Raven Age 6 times), and The Raven Age has to play to an audience that is not really interested in them.
Maiden should just ask bigger metalcore bands like Killswitch Engage to take The Raven Age on tour with them, and I'm sure their audience would appreciate TRA more. If I remember right Maiden already did this in 2017, but they asked Anthrax instead, which is still not the target audience of TRA, so it's the same situation.

They're paying for a ticket to Iron Maiden, that's all they deserve.
I think people just want to see different opening bands (big names or not) for every tour like in the 80's. The main target is Maiden, ofc. I couldn't care less.

The target audience of The Raven Age and Maiden are not exactly the same. I think this scenario is bad for everyone. Maiden fans have to watch a band they don't like multiple times (I have already seen The Raven Age 6 times), and The Raven Age has to play to an audience that is not really interested in them.
For me, it's not about taste. For example, I never listen to doom metal, but if they would give a talented doom metal band the opportunity to introduce themselves to a large audience, why not?

What's wrong with Raven Age? Quite awesome music. Same with Rise to Remain. Lauren Harris though, was untalented and her music sucked.

No problem with nepotism in the case of entertainment industry. Reality shows that in order to succeed there, you need to be talented, follow your own path and not be tied to your parents' vehicle.

Plus the decision to accept the help relies solely to the children and their bandmates as well. They seem to be ok with the unearned exposure. As long as they don't suck as Lauren Harris did it's fine for me. Even happy to discover good new music that I wouldn't otherwise.

They're paying for a ticket to Iron Maiden, that's all they deserve.
I disagree. Of course they're really only paying to see Iron Maiden, but when a support act is on the bill, they're also paying for that intentionally or otherwise. It's a part of the value you get from purchasing a ticket. I, and many others i'm sure, don't usually care who the support act is. But it's still in the cost of the ticket. If I had to watch some insufferable country act opening for Iron Maiden, I'd be pretty damn upset about where a part of my money went.

I disagree. Of course they're really only paying to see Iron Maiden, but when a support act is on the bill, they're also paying for that intentionally or otherwise. It's a part of the value you get from purchasing a ticket. I, and many others i'm sure, don't usually care who the support act is. But it's still in the cost of the ticket. If I had to watch some insufferable country act opening for Iron Maiden, I'd be pretty damn upset about where a part of my money went.
Totally agree. Ever since the first gig I ever went too in the early 1990’s I’ve always purchased tickets based on the main act and not the support act but always felt I’m buying a ticket to an event that includes a support band or two.

If the support band is shit then it’s more time at the bar. If not I’m getting better value and hypes me up for the main band if I enjoy the support act too. Some of my best Maiden gig memories are the ones where they’ve had good support bands.

These days, with bands making more money from touring than selling records I think it’s more important that the headliners give fans more value for money and that means picking a good support band. Obviously what constitutes as good is subjective but in Maidens case they seem to take out the Raven age an awful lot. It must be obvious to Steve they are a bit crap as outside of the Maiden tours they are practically unknown yet they’ve been around long enough now and had enough exposure that they would be bigger if there music was better.

I finally decided to listen to a few songs by The Raven Age to see what the fuss is about. They're better than I anticipated, but largely inoffensive. Sound a bit like mid-2000's In Flames, with weaker song writing and melodic vocals that remind me a bit of Into Eternity-era Stu Block, without the versatility or range.

Gotta say though, I hate how so many modern metal bands write songs with great rhythms and build ups, only to crash into some mid-tempo or half time chorus. Give me a powerful chorus, not this plodding nonsense. Feels like everyone is trying to force an anthemic atmosphere, without knowing what is actually needed. Had to rant, after every song of TRA that I checked out had slow and boring choruses :D

That said, of course 99.99% of the reason to buy a Maiden ticket, is of course Maiden itself. A great opening act is just gravy.

I finally decided to listen to a few songs by The Raven Age to see what the fuss is about. They're better than I anticipated, but largely inoffensive.

I liked them a lot. But they don't beat Rise to Remain whom left me in awe back then. Austin has a great voice and presence and the guitarist delivers a mega solo!

Gotta say though, I hate how so many modern metal bands write songs with great rhythms and build ups, only to crash into some mid-tempo or half time chorus. Give me a powerful chorus, not this plodding nonsense. Feels like everyone is trying to force an anthemic atmosphere, without knowing what is actually needed. Had to rant, after every song of TRA that I checked out had slow and boring choruses :D

As much as I dislike the band Nirvana (big American Grunge act forced down our throats by eMpTyV when that channel was relevant and actual cultural tastemakers, some 25-30 odd years ago), I wish some of these modern bands would study songs like Smells Like Teen Spirit and how they increase the tension and create a powerful chorus.

I finally decided to listen to a few songs by The Raven Age to see what the fuss is about. They're better than I anticipated, but largely inoffensive. Sound a bit like mid-2000's In Flames, with weaker song writing and melodic vocals that remind me a bit of Into Eternity-era Stu Block, without the versatility or range.

….

As far as I know, this is an interpretation of the metalcore principle that there should be a smoother and soothing chorus. I only listen to the genre in passing and always thought this principle does not make much sense musically.

Anyway, that's a good description of the nepo babies of the time: totally average, wouldn't get noticed if they didn't have their parents, but got a foot in the door because of that (and getting your foot in the door is a Hugh thing in entertainment).

I wonder if there will be a 2nd support band this time like last tour?

I hope the Raven Age don't open on the US leg in 2024, hated them back in 2019. I'm hoping for a classic band like Saxon or Queensryche.
If not, then I would love to see The Warning, a great female three piece hard rock band.

this thread has inspired me to listen to some Metalcore.

I'm going to sound like an old man yelling at others to get off of my lawn.

2 songs in and I'm reaching for Sepultura and Killing Technology-era Voivod instead.

Hot take: Metalcore bands do a few interesting things with riffs and changeups from time to time, but its abundantly clear that they've also taken a great deal from the laborious, headache-inducing composition style of the band Tool (and band that consists of tools)

this thread has inspired me to listen to some Metalcore.

I'm going to sound like an old man yelling at others to get off of my lawn.

2 songs in and I'm reaching for Sepultura and Killing Technology-era Voivod instead.

Hot take: Metalcore bands do a few interesting things with riffs and changeups from time to time, but its abundantly clear that they've also taken a great deal from the laborious, headache-inducing composition style of the band Tool (and band that consists of tools)
You just should check out legendary SHAI HULUD. Awesome band. ("I, Saturnine" is a masterpiece of a song for example)

Last edited:
Do they still consider themselves a metalcore band? I wanted to look them up and found this quote from Matt Fox, lead guitarist:
“ Metalcore,' the actual genre in 2008 doesn't usually seem like a hybrid of hardcore and metal as much as it just seems like metal, only written by people who imitate it rather than love it, typically resulting in trite and shallow music. If this accurately describes 'metalcore' then we clearly do not embrace the term…”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back