The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really hoped for a somewhat 'bigger' band to open for Maiden this time around. Helloween, Anthrax, Blind Guardian, perhaps even Disturbed.

Never seen Raven Age live so I'm curious about them anyway. Saw Lord of the Lost this year and was pretty impressed!

Maiden openers are pure cringe. My wife in 2018 (Her first maiden show ever!) thought that this was a joke or some contest winners like "buy 50 crates of Trooper beer and play with your high school band before maiden".

I dont care whatsoever about the openers

Neither do I, and some of the bands being demanded for support are so unrealistic.

Bands who have any sort of fan base, reputation, a number of albums out etc. are going to want to be doing headline shows. If you find yourself opening for Maiden when your band is already established, then unfortunately it means you've passed your peak.

Bands who have any sort of fan base, reputation, a number of albums out etc. are going to want to be doing headline shows. If you find yourself opening for Maiden when your band is already established, then unfortunately it means you've passed your peak.
This isn't quite true. Maiden's done a lot of "taking lesser known bands from one region on tour in another region". They helped Ghost tour North America extensively, for example. But a lot of their more recent openers have been nepotism openers, and it's just sad.

This isn't quite true. Maiden's done a lot of "taking lesser known bands from one region on tour in another region". They helped Ghost tour North America extensively, for example. But a lot of their more recent openers have been nepotism openers, and it's just sad.

But that's what I mean, Ghost were on the way up at the time and it was a great opportunity for them, they hadn't peaked yet. I doubt they'll want to support now on the next tour, and certainly not in markets where they can already play the same size venues themselves.

For example, Maiden themselves opening for Ozfest in 05, was absolutely because they were in a position where they hadn't the profile to play the venues they wanted to at the time in the States. There's no way they'd open for someone in the States now.

I can definitely see a case for some of the smaller bands with maybe 3 or 4 albums out, who aren't big enough to headline arenas themselves looking at a Maiden support slot and saying "yes please", but anyone more established than that is probably thinking they'd be better off doing their own headline shows, maybe in smaller venues, but with far more revenue going to themselves.

Is there a family member in Raven Age or something? I remember when I saw them open for Maiden in 2019 and my son and I were just spacing out and counting the clock until Doctor Doctor came on. They sound like the kind of band that plays in the background whenever an investigator from a show like NCIS goes into a rock/metal club to get some deetz on a murder. Just mediocre-to-death.

It's not exclusively about revenue, it's also an opportunity to get noticed in front of new potential fans and a larger audience.

….Well...I mean it makes sense. If Steve can say "fuck you, Raven Age stays on the bill" and get away with it, why not?

But for what?
Wouldn't it be better for the Maiden brand if people talked about the great new bands they also discovered at the last Iron Maiden concert instead of saying that nepo babies are typical Maiden.
Maybe Steve would be a better father if he told his son about other professions...

Actually it wasn't. I just Googled to see that one of Steve's progeny is in the band. Well...I mean it makes sense. If Steve can say "fuck you, Raven Age stays on the bill" and get away with it, why not?

It is not new though. I suffered Lauren Harris live several times in 2006 and 2008 and that was probably an even bigger “fuck you” from Steve…

It is not new though. I suffered Lauren Harris live several times in 2006 and 2008 and that was probably an even bigger “fuck you” from Steve…
Oh I know; I remember Lauren Harris. I just didn't realize Raven Age was in that category. Didn't Bruce also have a son in some mall-core band?

Neither do I, and some of the bands being demanded for support are so unrealistic.
Why are they unrealistic? Because the proposed bands are too big (according to you)?

There are many artists who take the most successful bands as support. Amon Amarth is currently touring with Carcass, Orbituary and Cattle Decapitation. Slipknot took Behemoth as support in 2020. Metallica is touring much of the world next year with major bands like Volbeat, Pantera and FFDP. And Maiden took bands like Ghost, Killswitch Engage, Alice Cooper, Shinedown and many more as support in the past. Just because a band has some success doesn't mean they can't be support bands.....

Maiden taking Raven Age on tour is a clear example of nepotism and there's no other explanation for it. There are so many bands that would be so damn proud to be the support act on a Maiden tour. I believe Scott Ian (the guy from Anthrax) even said it in an interview a while ago. He hates being a support act for another band, but for Iron Maiden he would love to go on any tour with them. And believe me when I say there are many more bands who feel the same way!

Maybe they're just trying to get us used to them because they will eventually replace their respective daddies in Maiden.

Why are they unrealistic? Because the proposed bands are too big (according to you)?

There are many artists who take the most successful bands as support. Amon Amarth is currently touring with Carcass, Orbituary and Cattle Decapitation. Slipknot took Behemoth as support in 2020. Metallica is touring much of the world next year with major bands like Volbeat, Pantera and FFDP. And Maiden took bands like Ghost, Killswitch Engage, Alice Cooper, Shinedown and many more as support in the past. Just because a band has some success doesn't mean they can't be support bands.....

Maiden taking Raven Age on tour is a clear example of nepotism and there's no other explanation for it. There are so many bands that would be so damn proud to be the support act on a Maiden tour. I believe Scott Ian (the guy from Anthrax) even said it in an interview a while ago. He hates being a support act for another band, but for Iron Maiden he would love to go on any tour with them. And believe me when I say there are many more bands who feel the same way!

Part of the reason that bands will take out a sizeable support act is to shift tickets, from what I have seen of the UK dates at least, the Future Past Tour seems to be selling well purely on the strength of Maiden, hence they can resort to the nepotism support slots rather than having to spend cash to get anyone more notable.

Wouldn't it be better for the Maiden brand if people talked about the great new bands they also discovered at the last Iron Maiden concert instead of saying that nepo babies are typical Maiden.

It could be worse they could go back to bringing teeny bopper bands in the hope that they can bring in a few youngsters to become new Maiden fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back