The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an absolute melter of a show at the 02!

I also went to Nottingham, which was good - but not thrilling as it should have even. Something was missing for me, the sound wasn't as brilliant, the crowd not as alive as usual - and I am not talking about the error on SIASL!

Night and day difference at the 02. Brilliant sound, brilliant crowd and majestic performance as always.

Can't wait to do it all again in a few hours!

Attachments

• PXL_20230707_205050728.jpg
    PXL_20230707_205050728.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20230707_214303947.jpg
    PXL_20230707_214303947.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20230707_212538613.jpg
    PXL_20230707_212538613.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
How was the response to Writing on the Wall? I was pleasantly surprised by how well received it was around me.
Brilliant - crowd really got into it.

With regards to the some of the newer songs "going down like lead balloons " - I don't think that is quite fair. It's usual for newer Maiden swings to get a less hysterically reception, because they're new. But I was near-ish the front and people around were were still nodding along and singing, and the atmosphere was just superb throughout.

I also attended the Nottingham and first London shows. 16th and 17th time seeing the band, having attended every tour since the DOD one in 2003.

I agree that the O2 was the better show of the two (helped by Bruce getting SIASL right this time) but Nottingham wasn't far behind IMO, with a particularly great Alexander the Great and FOTD. I probably enjoyed Nottingham more in some ways as I was on the floor in the crowd and could go wild to it. Tonight at the O2 I was right up in the top corner by the stage which was a more sedate area to spectate from but I did get a good view of the backstage area.

CSIT/SIASL was fantastic tonight, as was The Trooper.

TWOTW works very well live. DOTC and Hell on Earth sound decent too, although the former is basically The Clansman Part 2. I liked it more at the O2 though.

The Time Machine is not a very interesting song and should have been left off the setlist in favour of The Parchment, or even better they should have just played Sign Of The Cross instead.

The setlist starts and ends well but the middle bit feels rather like a random selection of Maiden songs. I'm not sure that CIPWM works in a mid set slot, and in my opinion the set loses momentum after the first four songs and doesn't pick up again until Heaven Can Wait.

Plus points, all the SiT material. Wonderful performances. CSIT is the obvious choice for an opener, and SIASL works very well as the second song in (why this song was ever dropped is beyond me). Alexander the Great is truly fantastic live and you wonder why they didn't play it before because it works really well in the set.

hence why Bruce actually used them to demonstrate the difficulties in singing Harris compositions on his neverending book tour back in 2019.
I want to hear him sing the high vocals in the middle now. I think he will do good. We need a good recording of this song, but Bruce is not a fan of the lyrics.
I thought DOFP and Time Machine were a little meh but it was a stunning show.
But but the fans want short new songs... / the crowd definitely enjoy the instrumental section of Time Machine.
Death of the Celts also got a better response than Hell on Earth, which whilst a very good song does not work that well as an encore.
Because of the long intro? I think it's a great song for an encore opener with its melodies and choruses. Great to hear that about Celts.
I'm not sure that CIPWM works in a mid set slot, and in my opinion the set loses momentum after the first four songs and doesn't pick up again until Heaven Can Wait.

Alexander the Great is truly fantastic live and you wonder why they didn't play it before because it works really well in the set.
Prisoner is a highlight. The fans also enjoy CIPWM a lot. Agreed about Alexander.
Why is the stage different at this gig? Typically there are three platforms past the monitors but here they've just extended the whole stage.
I noticed that too. Maybe for safety reasons. Bruce is surrounded by monitors.

But but the fans want short new songs... / the crowd definitely enjoy the instrumental section of Time Machine.
I think the placement of DOFP was a bit of a momentum zapper. It would have worked better later on in the set.

It doesn’t take away from the fact that the show was stunning. Visually and musically.

Last night was incredible. I went with tempered expectations because of their age and what I had read online but WOW i was blown away again, best band ever!

CSIT far exceeded my expectations live, Bruce sounded incredible on the chorus especially

It felt like all the Senjutsu songs were played at double speed and felt worse for it. Hell on earth lost all of its emotional weight which was a shame

No signs of Nicko slowing down, in fact he needs to!

DOTC is at the bottom of the album rankings for me and seeing it live didn’t change it. I didnt realise how many intros and outro sections there were until people are trying to clap along to it

Last night was incredible. I went with tempered expectations because of their age and what I had read online but WOW i was blown away again, best band ever!

CSIT far exceeded my expectations live, Bruce sounded incredible on the chorus especially

It felt like all the Senjutsu songs were played at double speed and felt worse for it. Hell on earth lost all of its emotional weight which was a shame

No signs of Nicko slowing down, in fact he needs to!

DOTC is at the bottom of the album rankings for me and seeing it live didn’t change it. I didnt realise how many intros and outro sections there were until people are trying to clap along to it
The crowd were so loud on CSIT! Almost as epic as Aces High.

The band was on fire last night, an amazing performance.

On a down note I have to rant about the O2. This was the first time in all the gigs I’ve seen at the O2 that I decided to stay over in London. Usually I would have ran to grab the last train home.

Won’t ever stay in London again for an O2 gig. Most of the O2 was closed by the time I got out after the gig and the few places that were opened were absolutely rammed with huge queues outside. Why on earth would so many places shut just when thousands of people are coming out of a gig and looking for something to eat and drink.

On top of that massive queues for the tube and a nightmare getting a cab back to my hotel did sour the evening a tad which was a shame after such a great performance from the band.

Brilliant - crowd really got into it.

With regards to the some of the newer songs "going down like lead balloons " - I don't think that is quite fair. It's usual for newer Maiden swings to get a less hysterically reception, because they're new. But I was near-ish the front and people around were were still nodding along and singing, and the atmosphere was just superb throughout.

I was surprised not to see anyone jumping on The Time Machine at the floor towards the back of the arena. Based on footage from previous gigs that bit seemed to be an obvious crowd pleaser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back