The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, it was pleasant change in the setlist and got to hear The Prisoner.
I had missed it and it had been in the setlist last in 2014. It worked well on the ME-tour.
Still feeling a bit lightheaded for still not getting Infinite Dreams on that Maiden England World Tour.
Like we've talked and mentioned, it was rehearsed and for some unknown reason dropped from the final setlist.

maidenenglandsetlist2012[1].jpg
The pre-programmed tracks Infinite Dreams and Hallowed Be Thy Name are visible as the dismissed numbers 18 and 19 at the bottom of the list.

Last edited:
I really wish I could have seen Ed Hunter, Early Days, and AMOLAD tours.
Ed Hunter was my first show, seen all of these. Now I wish that I could have seen 80's tours..I was too young to travel to see them those years.
Might have to get Delorean and travel back in time. Hey, anybody wanna join the ride to some nice day and year in the 80's?
635809824922215243-AP-BACK-TO-THE-FUTURE-DAY-76890712[1].JPG

Last edited:
really wish I could have seen Ed Hunter, Early Days, and AMOLAD tours.

I’ve seen all those tours- and tbh the only one that really sticks out was AMOLAD just because the setlist was so specific.
That was an amazing show!

But they sort of run together tbh. Maiden being maiden in my book.

Early days was nothing special to me...:confused:

Out of the retrospective tours they have done since the reunion (Ed Hunter, GMETID, Early Days, Somewhere Back in Time, Maiden England, Legacy of the Beast), the Early Days one is my least favourite.

Sure, it was amazing to see songs like Murders in the Rue Morgue, Prowler, Remember Tomorrow, Revelations, Die With Your Boots On or Where Eagles Dare live, but it felt like a missed opportunity to play some other gems from 1982 and 1983 that had been rarely played live back in 2005 (The Prisoner, Children of the Damned, Flight of Icarus, Still Life, To Tame a Land). The set was pretty short too and it did not help that when I saw them (Bospop festival), they were in a hurry to finish the gig so they could catch their private jet to go back to England (source: Nicko’s tour diary), so we ended up with a 90 minute gig.

Early Days was an awesome tour. With all the tours focused on newer material or albums with big epics or more proggy material (like the current tour), it's really easy for the rawer material from the first few albums to be forgotten, but obviously those albums have a lot of fans. I would also say that of all the retro tours they've done, Early Days had the most songs that are likely never to be played again (unless the band does another tour focusing exclusively on that era).

Also, setlists aside, the performances on this tour were really solid. Where Eagles Dare was probably best performed on this tour, I'm also partial to Revelations and Remember Tomorrow. The band was on fire then.

I would agree that there were some notable omissions, but at least most of those have shown up since then. To Tame a Land was a big miss on that tour, although I wonder if it was rehearsed and put off to the side. It wasn't a great live track in 1983 and probably wouldn't have been much better in 2005. I still hold out hope that Still Life will make a comeback someday.

Early Days was an awesome tour. With all the tours focused on newer material or albums with big epics or more proggy material (like the current tour), it's really easy for the rawer material from the first few albums to be forgotten, but obviously those albums have a lot of fans. I would also say that of all the retro tours they've done, Early Days had the most songs that are likely never to be played again (unless the band does another tour focusing exclusively on that era).

Also, setlists aside, the performances on this tour were really solid. Where Eagles Dare was probably best performed on this tour, I'm also partial to Revelations and Remember Tomorrow. The band was on fire then.

I would agree that there were some notable omissions, but at least most of those have shown up since then. To Tame a Land was a big miss on that tour, although I wonder if it was rehearsed and put off to the side. It wasn't a great live track in 1983 and probably wouldn't have been much better in 2005. I still hold out hope that Still Life will make a comeback someday.
This tour happened before I was a fan, and I've always been bummed I missed it because it seemed like such an amazing experience. The Ullevi show is also one of the top 5 Maiden live recordings of all time, IMO.

That being said, I've long thought the grouping of Piece of Mind in with the first three albums was a little odd. I would've preferred they left more space for some rarities like Prisoner, Killers, 22AA, Purgatory, etc. and lumped Piece of Mind in with SBIT. They could have easily left Seventh Son off of SBIT and thrown in WED, DWYBO, and Icarus, for example.

This tour happened before I was a fan, and I've always been bummed I missed it because it seemed like such an amazing experience. The Ullevi show is also one of the top 5 Maiden live recordings of all time, IMO.

That being said, I've long thought the grouping of Piece of Mind in with the first three albums was a little odd. I would've preferred they left more space for some rarities like Prisoner, Killers, 22AA, Purgatory, etc. and lumped Piece of Mind in with SBIT. They could have easily left Seventh Son off of SBIT and thrown in WED, DWYBO, and Icarus, for example.
It would also help making Maiden England more special with return of some 7th Son songs after a while, even with the same setlist as it happened. But yeah, the way it happened it was basically SBIT pt. II featuring Prisoner and 7th Son (and ATSS). Such a missed oportunity for playing Killers, Still Life, DWYBO and, of course, Infinite Dreams, that at least was rehearsed.

I might be alone in thinking this, but the band have many songs from the 1980-1983 era vastly superior to Another Life, Drifter, Sanctuary or Running Free.

I feel the Early Days was a wasted opportunity to play some songs that, dare I say it, are much better: Killers, Children of the Damned, The Prisoner, Flight of Icarus, Still Life or To Tame a Life, for example.

Sure, 3 of those songs were brought back from retirement on later tours, buy I had no way of knowing that would be the case back in 2005.

Anyway, Bospop 2005 was great fun and I got to see Overkill, Porcupine Tree, Y&T or Within Temptation live.

I think that mostly had to do with the DVD they were promoting. I think LAD and Maiden England were also going to be in one package, which is why SBIT included quite a few Seventh Son songs as well.

It would be interesting to think about a tour that spanned POM to Somewhere in Time instead though. Assuming about 4 songs from each album plus the usual classics, you would probably get some really cool rarities. That also opens them up to lump the 90s tour into a Seventh Son throwback.

Isn't that a nice trick, you expect a riff and you get a melody. Typical of Steve's approach to writing since 2000

I should thank you. (And will)
I’ve listened to the song three times now over the last day or so with your comment in mind and it really helps! It’s interesting how your preconceived notions can taint a listening experience.

Now when those pesky mushy guitars come in I just hum the melody. I suppose that’s what others have done all along lol- but thanks!

I think that mostly had to do with the DVD they were promoting. I think LAD and Maiden England were also going to be in one package, which is why SBIT included quite a few Seventh Son songs as well.
LAD was going to be released before the tour and Maiden England shortly after, but the success of the Somewhere Back in Time tour made them (i.e., Rod) push back the release of Maiden England to have two retrospective tours instead of just one.

That being said, the Somewhere Back in Time was outstanding: a mix of Live After Death with some gems from 1986-1988 (and Heaven Can Wait).

What were you doing back then?
Heh, question is where were Maiden back then? They ignored the entire Southeast region of the US for years after Bruce and Adrian returned until they finally did a show in Florida in 2009 (not in the cards for me then). Wasn't until 2012 Maiden England they rediscovered us and played Atlanta for the first time since 1996. Also due to my spouse's health issues I prefer not to travel and leave her behind for a significant amount of time.

Come hell or high water I will catch the Future Past Tour next year. I'm fairly confident they will hit Atlanta and/or Charlotte. It would be a little rough but Charlotte I can do same day (did it for TBOS). If I must I will find a way to make Florida or next next closest place work.

I live in the southeast part of the state of VA, and I don't think Maiden has played in my area since the early 90s. I either have to drive to DC, New York, or North Carolina to see their show. And because of that, and despite being a fan since 1988, I didn't get an opportunity to see them until 2010. And every tour since then. And every tour here after. I'm older now and money and travel aren't the big barriers they used to be and I'm grateful I can see them live.

But all that said, I really wish I caught the 2008 tour. Flight 666 is amazing, but those are some amazing songs and I'll never get to see Rime of the Ancient Mariner live and in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back