The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't know what the full story is, and it's a completely different situation. With Blaze, he had multiple years and two full world tours to grow into the role of Iron Maiden frontman. It's pretty clear that by mid-1998, it just wasn't a good fit live.

Yes, Nicko's playing is noticeably different this year, but since 2012 he's been bowing to the demands of Bruce and Adrian more in terms of tempo and playing things closer to the album speed. There could be another request from someone in the band to simplify some parts for whatever reason.

Or... maybe he's recovering from an injury or an illness of some kind. Remember all the talk about Bruce not running and jumping around as much in 2019? And then we learned in early 2021 he had been having serious hip issues to the point of needing a replacement in 2020. We have no idea what he's going through, and may never know. The differences in his playing may just disappear the further they get into the tour.

The point is... we don't know the full story, or how things will play out over the course of the tour. All of this calling for Nicko to step down based on a couple of early shows with a challenging setlist is way overblown, IMO.
No one's actually saying this though, it's all hypothetical.

Or... maybe he's recovering from an injury or an illness of some kind. Remember all the talk about Bruce not running and jumping around as much in 2019? And then we learned in early 2021 he had been having serious hip issues to the point of needing a replacement in 2020. We have no idea what he's going through, and may never know. The differences in his playing may just disappear the further they get into the tour.
One thing that really baffles me is that almost no one seemed to care much or even really took notice of the fact that Nicko also recently gone through cancer (and hopefully entirely recovered meanwhile!). With Bruce it was a vast difference in a very similar situation.

I think being unrehearsed is a real problem, sure you can excuse the odd mistake here and there but when people are paying 120 euro( i think he said that) then its not fair if the drums and guitars aren't in sync as he mentioned. I don't think its excusable to use the first few shows of a. tour to be rehearsals either, people are paying good money to see the show.

Curious to know what Bruce said that didn't go down well also.

No one's actually saying this though, it's all hypothetical.
The original post I quoted was someone literally comparing the situation with Nicko to the situation with Blaze leaving the band in 1998 and saying they were the same.

There was also an error (on Nicko's part) on the opening night of the 2009 leg of the Somewhere Back In Time Tour, when he went into 'The Trooper' in the wrong place, well in the wrong order of the set anyways.
Yep, the 2009 3rd leg of Somewhere Back In Time Tour started in Belgrade:
-Adrian starts 2 Minutes To Midnight instead of Wrathchild, the band carries on.
-Nicko randomly counts The Trooper in (21:10). Band reactions are hillarious. Then he proceeds to mess up Phantom Of The Opera at 22:20.
-And my favourite, Adrian starts playing Wasted Years instead of Trooper. Bruce tells him to get his eyes ****ing checked (28:45).
-after Hallowed Be Thy Name, Bruce thinks it's the end of the show. He says goodnight, see you later, while the band just stands there like, WTF is he doing?
After he gave so much **** to Nicko and Adrian during the show, he ****ed up in the end too.
Hallowed Be Thy Name was the last song of the set on the previous years leg of the tour, that's why Bruce must have thought that it was the last song of the evening.

Last edited:
I've been watching some clips and it seems Bruce is still having a little issues with the monitors. He is not perfectly in sync (for a bit) in some songs.

He is also not going with the full voice (on purpose, I guess) in some of the high parts in some songs like CSIT, SIASL, Time Machine (turned out to be not an easy song live). The vocals melodies in some songs (the 2nd chorus of Hell On Earth, for example) have also been changed.

Looking closely it seems Nicko actually almost goes for it but then don't. He might be just a little rusty or even ill, think in some time it'll be much better. Just got to find his groove.

Because he's older, singing a lot of very lyrically dense songs they haven't played for a long time (or ever), and has (I believe) two replacement hips now.
Something is wrong with his walking or movement. Wrong maybe its not the word,he is ok walking i think but im starting thinking that he has some issue. And he prefers not tu run anymore.its ok,im glad to see him at the stage

Gonna ask here: I'm looking for rankings to start coming in for songs in the Commentary subforum. Would it be better if I just pulled the thread into here for a day or two in order to spark discussion and get some votes in?

That's actually something I was wondering: Will all albums/songs be opened for voting? I wanted to participate in that but last time I remembered to check some songs were locked.

IMHO, the thing is that they should replace some songs to make the show more fluid :

- Death Of The Celts by The Parchment
- The Prisoner by Sea Of Madness
- Fear Of The Dark by The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
- Can I Play With Madness by Futureal
- The Trooper by Deja Vu
- The Writing On The Wall by Lost In A Lost World

Time Machine (turned out to be not an easy song live).

Yeah, the way the verse melody is written on the album he sings the main melody in the first line, then basically sings the harmony to that in the next line going a third up, then goes another third up. You could stack those to create a very interesting effect, or he could sing the first two lines with the lowest harmony and then the middle one last to have an easier time. But it's Bruce after all, the man is allergic to anything that could help him out and he has an almost obsessive need to face every and any challenge that comes his way lol

IMHO, the thing is that they should replace some songs to make the show more fluid :

- The Trooper by Deja Vu

Agreed with the bolded, heavily disagree with the first two. I like The Parchment, but if people think that a song that is longer than DOTC by a few minutes, has less rhythmic variety (but more solos) and the only uptempo part is at the literal end of the song, that such a song is going to fare any better than DOTC, then I really don't know what to say. It is almost 13 minutes long and probably the epic that is the most samey on average for longer time frames.

Nicko's playing started to be significantly different since post-Covid. Listen to the "official" released live video of Stratego and Nicko is simplifying the drums a lot, particularly the bass-drum triplets. This isn't a thing that's going to get better, or go away. It is what it is. And I'm not ragging on the dude, he's older than the rest of the band and has the most athletic job of anyone in the group. He's complained of arthritis for at least the last ten years and who knows what else he's been going through.

- The Trooper by Deja Vu
^The setlist would be even more difficult. And they can't drop any more of the mandatory classics. I agree about Parchment (Celts is a more lively song though) and Futureal.

I think the flow of the set is great - a mix of short/longer and energetic songs and some groovy and slower/long (4 or 5 in the set) songs.
Yeah, the way the verse melody is written on the album he sings the main melody in the first line, then basically sings the harmony to that in the next line going a third up, then goes another third up. You could stack those to create a very interesting effect, or he could sing the first two lines with the lowest harmony and then the middle one last to have an easier time. But it's Bruce after all, the man is allergic to anything that could help him out and he has an almost obsessive need to face every and any challenge that comes his way lol
True.
Listen to the "official" released live video of Stratego and Nicko is simplifying the drums a lot, particularly the bass-drum triplets.
Yes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back