The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrathchild is about due for a comeback so I wouldn't be surprised. It's almost never a pick for the first leg of a tour though, usually shows up when the setlist gets adjusted or (like in 2010) when a song needs to be replaced.
Given the length of some expected songs (CSIT, Heaven Can Wait, Alexander, Parchment, Hell On Earth) I have been wondering if they will drop maybe Hallowed in favour of a shorter easier song. Wrathchild, Can I Play with Madness or The Clairvoyant perhaps. Time will tell!

One thing that surprises me about the speculation here and in the setlist thread is that nobody (myself included) is entertaining the possibility that they do five songs from one album and then five songs from the other album all clustered together. If they really are doing five each like some folks think, it could make sense as they can also alter the stage like they did on LOTB.
It's also something I took into consideration when I submitted my entry in the setlist contest. Ultimately while cool, I feel that the flow of the setlist will work better if you alternate instead of just hammering a slog from one album and then another slog from the next. Playing around with all your picks, to me, is the best option.

Like, if I break down the setlist I set up (which I may have done before), I think that starting off with CSiT is a good choice to introduce the scope of the show, and you can then hit people over the head with "Days of Future Past", allowing Bruce to be like "WELCOME TO THE FUTURE PAST TOUR MY FRIENNNNNDS!" Chuck in "The Trooper" for maximum hype, build that hype further with TWOTW and SIASL, and now you've got four rockers out of the way and we can start experimenting with the longer, more intricate material. "The Parchment" is great here, acting like TRATB on the TBOS tour, and from one bass outro into a bass intro - "Heaven Can Wait", which will open the door to "The Time Machine". The outro to "The Time Machine" has the lyrics "Eerie collection, darkness is there - wedded to danger, betrothed to despair." What better way to introduce "Fear of the Dark"? The outro of which perfectly leads to "Hell on Earth", and then we erupt into "Iron Maiden" as the main set closes.

Something like this just feels very refreshing. To me every song complements the next and adds a lot of excitement, especially to a song like FOTD that's been played to death as is. Utilizing "The Time Machine" and its outro as the introduction to "Fear of the Dark" suddenly adds a new dynamic to the song as part of the setlist.

The first two legs of LOTB had an incredible setlist, a pretty much perfect collection of songs that gave you the best from a lot of eras of the band's career, featuring big hits and deep cuts. But after the incredible hype that is "Flight of Icarus", I do think the "Fear of the Dark" didn't quite click the way it should've. Moving TNOTB in front of "Iron Maiden" was a cool move, but this part of the set was less exciting than the first two thirds (although "Run to the Hills" was a fantastic closer).

What the third LOTB leg got right was the way it rearranged some of the songs and saved some surprises for the very end. I was not overly excited for the D.C. show based on setlist alone, but as it played out before me I was honest to god more stoked after the concert than I was before it. The three Senjutsu tracks were a killer start (and they could've blasted through the whole album for all I cared), and then you just got hit by weighty track after weighty track with only "Flight of Icarus" to break things up. Moving "Hallowed" up was also a game changer. And then when you got to the encore you still had the war set, and man did "The Clansman" work so much better as a near-finale piece. Even if "The Trooper" and "Aces High" were a little more sluggish this time around, at the same time, you got to stay in the world for a little bit longer, and that was cool (also one of the reasons I don't mind them slowing down some of the SiT tracks if they get a good balance that way).

LOTB 3 was a fine but unimpressive setlist on paper, but experiencing live I completely changed my outlook on it. Even tired songs can get a second wind if you sequence them right, and while segregating the songs by album would still make for a cool show, you can absolutely make it better with the right alternating back and forth.

@Diesel 11 posted some really nice stats on the setlist prediction thread and only 9 people have Darkest Hour in their setlist. I. could see this being a pretty big dark horse pick, as it is a pretty simple and slow song that might be easy for the band to put together quickly
I also didn't include it in my picks, but I bet it gets played.
I also concur here. I'm not betting on it per se, but I've had that thought in the back of my mind for a while. It's a big, epic ballad, so it can easily take the place that "Blood Brothers" did on the third LOTB leg. The problem I run into is which song would I drop then? Sure, at 7+ minutes in length you could consider it one of the "longer" songs on the album, but I feel like Steve would push for two of his epics, Bruce would want to play "The Time Machine" (per previous interviews), and "Days of Future Past" is a shoe-in for the name only. That leaves us with "The Writing on the Wall", and I really think that it'll be sticking around for this tour since it's such a big song. But nothing is set in stone here and even obvious picks may get overlooked for some wild entry no one saw coming.

May has otherwise been moving by fast, but when it comes to waiting for this tour to begin, god it's slow as hell. I'm super hyped.

Just a thought... I think there is a very low chance we don't get something from Powerslave. The last tour that happened was Early Days and it was also the only tour that happened.

I think 2 Minutes is getting played, possibly in 2nd or 3rd spot in the set. And if that happens, there is basically no room for Wrathchild in a 15 song setlist, if the 5+5+5 rumour is true.

Also, there will probably be something from SSOASS. No way they go 2 tours in a row with nothing played. So, that leaves 3 spots. One is taken by Iron Maiden. 2 left spots left and 4 obligatory songs still not in. Trooper, Hallowed, FOTD and TNOTB, which makes me think that more likely than not, they might do 5+4+6. (Unless Barry is back, but he has been paid out AFAIK.) One more classic instead of one SIT song.

Also, a start of:

1. Days Of Future Past
2. 2 Minutes To Midnight
3. The Writing On The Wall
4. The Trooper
5. The Time Machine (stage slowly changes during the song)
‐--------‐--------------------------------
3 Somewhere In Time songs
‐-----------------------------------------

... somehow strangely makes sense. And Time Machine outro can seemlessly become Heaven Can Wait intro with some synths added. Same key.

Last edited:
Today started rehersal. They played:

Days of Future Past, Fear of the dark, Wratchild
I think they just rehearsed Wrathchild and won't play it, although a very easy song like it would be totally possible in what would be a difficult set. Like in 2008.

Fear Of The Dark is certain.

Days Of Future Past will probably be the opener - and that probably means they won't be playing CSIT. Maybe Sea Of Madness or Long Distance Runner instead (if Heaven Can Wait is certain).

only 9 people have Darkest Hour in their setlist. I. could see this being a pretty big dark horse pick, as it is a pretty simple and slow song that might be easy for the band to put together quickly,
Everything is possible, but I don't think the chances are big.
This is a seriously great point in terms of stage logistics, but I just don't see it happening. Lumping that many songs together from the same album has literally only been done in the early years and on the AMOLAD tour.
I agree. Plus Steve already said they won't use the Senjutsu stage again.
I suppose they might still be keen on the "different worlds" staging but I'd rather they just do a really awesome looking, futuristic Japanese-flavored stage set up and be done with it. Then they can tailor the setlist exactly how they'd like.
I think the ''different worlds'' were exclusive to LOTB. For this particular tour it would be perfect and cool though.
Ultimately while cool, I feel that the flow of the setlist will work better if you alternate instead of just hammering a slog from one album and then another slog from the next. Playing around with all your picks, to me, is the best option.
^ This.
I also concur here. I'm not betting on it per se, but I've had that thought in the back of my mind for a while. It's a big, epic ballad, so it can easily take the place that "Blood Brothers" did on the third LOTB leg. The problem I run into is which song would I drop then? Sure, at 7+ minutes in length you could consider it one of the "longer" songs on the album, but I feel like Steve would push for two of his epics, Bruce would want to play "The Time Machine" (per previous interviews), and "Days of Future Past" is a shoe-in for the name only. That leaves us with "The Writing on the Wall", and I really think that it'll be sticking around for this tour since it's such a big song. But nothing is set in stone here and even obvious picks may get overlooked for some wild entry no one saw coming.

May has otherwise been moving by fast, but when it comes to waiting for this tour to begin, god it's slow as hell. I'm super hyped.
I agree. HYPE!!!
Just a thought... I think there is a very low chance we don't get something from Powerslave. The last tour that happened was Early Days and it was also the only tour that happened. I think 2 Minutes is getting played, possibly in 2nd or 3rd spot in the set. And if that happens, there is basically no room for Wrathchild in a 15 song setlist, if the 5+5+5 rumour is true.

Also, there will probably be something from SSOASS. No way they go 2 tours in a row with nothing played. So, that leaves 3 spots. One is taken by Iron Maiden. 2 left spots left and 4 obligatory songs still not in. Trooper, Hallowed, FOTD and TNOTB, which makes me think that more likely than not, they might do 5+4+6. One more classic instead of one SIT song.

... 3 Somewhere In Time songs
There is no room for a different classic (other than the big 5) unless they change one of them (maybe Number Of The Beast) or play only 4 SIT songs. I think the set won't have a Powerslave song. I can also see the set without a SSOASS song. I'm almost sure about the latter (despite 2018 tour poster hints). If it's 16 songs, then a short song like Wrathchild is possible. I love the song, but I don't want it on this tour. I can't see Fear and Trooper getting dropped. Hallowed could go because it's a long and not easy song - maybe 2 Minutes in its place?

Also, 3 SIT songs in a row? I doubt it. There will be a SIT song in the first 4 songs, methinks.

I belive it is normaln that they are rehearsing total 17-18 songs for 15 song sets. They just need some backup songs in case some of the main songs will get dropped.

I think 2 minutes might be on the setlist. It is very related to the current situation in the world

As if it wasn't last year, too. But I agree that it might very well return! Should that happen, it would be interesting to see it on a "fresh" position (e.g encore like 2006-07 or late in the main set) instead of it's typical placement as 2/3/4th song in the set. It would work pretty well right after Days of Future Past, though, so it's most likely on it's usual spot.

I think 2 minutes might be on the setlist. It is very related to the current situation in the world
I've been kinda wondering if the reason why specifically it and TETMD were dropped wasn't because they sounded a bit too relevant, especially for Europeans who live pretty close to the situation. I dunno, it just felt a bit surprising they decided to nix two of their usual staples on the third leg of the hits tour.

Since reunion Maiden showed that they are proud of Blaze years. Played songs from respective albums live. I will say it one more time. Futureal is a given. Short rocker, fits the theme and represents Blaze days. I will take it over overplayed 2 Minutes.
I don't think they will play Hallowed. I think only Iron Maiden and Fear of the Dark is a given.

I belive it is normaln that they are rehearsing total 17-18 songs for 15 song sets. They just need some backup songs in case some of the main songs will get dropped.
I think they are only rehearsing the setlist for the tour. The backup song is easy and ready - Wrathchild!

I think they had like 20 rehearsed for Brave New World Tour. When preparing for the Virtual XI tour they had 26 songs rehearsed! And yes, one of the songs reheased but dropped was Wrathchild. They played it all at the first show but dropped alot of stuff from The X Factor: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/iron-maiden/1998/the-oval-rock-house-norwich-england-5bd39fdc.html

Last edited:
Oh wow! I had no idea they played 7 of 8 songs from VXI! Is there by chance a high quality soundboard recording of this show?

Someone on setlist.fm posted the 'setlist' from yesterdays rehearsal... apparently.
They say they are at KD Vatroslav Lisinski, while this is the schedule for the venue:

Some people attempt shit, while not even doing the research... SMH. At least make an effort.

Also, no way in hell they play the whole set during the 1st rehearsal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230509_144527_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230509_144527_Chrome.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 25
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back