The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone that has been to Sportpaleis in Antwerp, is it worth waiting for a floor ticket to show up or should I just go for a stands ticket?
Floor is much better! Went 3 times to Sportpaleis for Night Of The Proms, twice seats on the sides and 1 time floor. I thought you allready booked your ticket.

You can notice that some songs are recorded in sections like The Red and The Black , Empire of the clouds and the most of Senjutsu songs.

Like Hell On Earth. As much as I love the song, I'll never get over the fact that different sections have wildly different tempos (not intended) and how sloppily some of the transitions are edited. Look at the transition when the drums enter for the first time for example.

Last edited:
Hell on Earth is on an every day, thrice on Sundays loop up in my ears. The word “Sloppy” has never come to mind. For me. I’m not hearing anything ‘off’ on this instant classic. I’m no mixing or editing expert mind you. But, for instance, around 2:15 or whenever those drums first make an appearance? Kick arse seamlessly to me.

Like Hell On Earth. As much as I love the song, I'll never get over the fact that different sections have wildly different tempos (not intended) and how sloppily some of the transitions are edited. Look at the transition when the drums enter for the first time for example.
Senjutsu has many problems with sloppiness but in this instance I do think the different tempos are intended.

Hell on Earth is on an every day, thrice on Sundays loop up in my ears. The word “Sloppy” has never come to mind. For me. I’m not hearing anything ‘off’ on this instant classic. I’m no mixing or editing expert mind you. But, for instance, around 2:15 or whenever those drums first make an appearance? Kick arse seamlessly to me.
Senjutsu has many problems with sloppiness but in this instance I do think the different tempos are intended.

Yes, the transition at 2:15 is one of those and probably the most prominent one. The playing itself is fine. The different sections were recorded at different tempos and crossfaded together. It almost sounds random when the drums come in. Note, I'm not criticizing the structure of the song, I'm simply pointing out that the transition is entirely digital, making it jarring. When they play the song live it's going to work better, but on the studio album it's unfortunately rather weak in my opinion.

The drums don't enter on the first beat of the new section (by itself of course not a problem). They start the measure before with a fill and are supposed to lead in to the new section. So far, so good.
The issue is that usually you'd have the fill be in the tempo of the first section and then, if there's a new tempo, it would start in the next measure. This isn't what happens here though. They recorded two sections separate (which isn't a bad thing either) and then crossfaded them, putting the drum fill with the faster tempo in the final measure of the first section, which has a different tempo, thus creating a mishmash.

Hell On Earth is still a 10/10 for me, but it'll always be shocking to me that a transition like that (specifically the edit, not the playing) would make it on a professional record of a band of Maiden's caliber. Martin Birch wouldn't have allowed that.

I know there's no certainty for either way, but... How likely you consider the chance of some tickets being released/available on Fan-resale for reasonable price for the first London O2 show (7th of July) over the upcoming months?

I'm going to the second show on the following night, but I'm pondering whether to fly to London a day or two early...

Yes, the transition at 2:15 is one of those and probably the most prominent one. The playing itself is fine. The different sections were recorded at different tempos and crossfaded together. It almost sounds random when the drums come in. Note, I'm not criticizing the structure of the song, I'm simply pointing out that the transition is entirely digital, making it jarring. When they play the song live it's going to work better, but on the studio album it's unfortunately rather weak in my opinion.

The drums don't enter on the first beat of the new section (by itself of course not a problem). They start the measure before with a fill and are supposed to lead in to the new section. So far, so good.
The issue is that usually you'd have the fill be in the tempo of the first section and then, if there's a new tempo, it would start in the next measure. This isn't what happens here though. They recorded two sections separate (which isn't a bad thing either) and then crossfaded them, putting the drum fill with the faster tempo in the final measure of the first section, which has a different tempo, thus creating a mishmash.

Hell On Earth is still a 10/10 for me, but it'll always be shocking to me that a transition like that (specifically the edit, not the playing) would make it on a professional record of a band of Maiden's caliber. Martin Birch wouldn't have allowed that.
When I read posts like this I’m so glad that I just listen to music with regular ears and don’t turn into an Uber geek dissecting every note I hear.

Honestly, when I read how some people talk about Songs, production etc I wonder how on earth some people enjoy music. Sounds like a right chore having all these things in your mind when listening.

Of course. And we're talking about a song written by Steve!

Sloppiness? A couple of minor production issues, that's it. Performances? No way.

When I read posts like this I’m so glad that I just listen to music with regular ears and don’t turn into an Uber geek dissecting every note I hear.

Honestly, when I read how some people talk about Songs, production etc I wonder how on earth some people enjoy music. Sounds like a right chore having all these things in your mind when listening.
Eh, everyone's different and has different tastes. I record music myself, so stuff like that is important to me and something I pay attention to. I have a very analytical approach to music, which is part of the fun for me. I totally get how this could be exhausting or annoying to someone and I'm not saying that my approach is the right one. Every opinion is valid.

Of course. And we're talking about a song written by Steve!

Sloppiness? A couple of minor production issues, that's it. Performances? No way.

Two things: Firstly, I was talking about the editing, not the performance.
Secondly, there are plenty of sloppy Maiden performances over the years. They're just human. The intro/outro bass sections from TRATB for example are incredibly sloppy, purely from a performance view. Speed Of Light has the copy/pasted bum note in the instrumental section. Trevoire mentioned the off snare hit in Hell On Earth.

We can argue about tastes and about how clean the songs should be played all day, but to claim that there's no sloppiness involved with Maiden at any point is objectively incorrect.

Last edited:

I know exactly what you mean.
But even with regular ears, everybody is going to hear something different and think something “should've” sounded different.
For example, I love The Parchment, but even with regular ears sounds 1:10 mark sounds to me like it's been edited with an axe.

I tend to agree with this post. I do data analysis for a living, and to also apply that super analytical mindset to music just makes me enjoy it less.

Especially because, at the end of the day, whatever Maiden put on disc is exactly how they* want it. If a bum note gets put onto disc then they either didn’t notice or didn’t care and that’s their prerogative and I have no place saying how it “should” sound. But again, that’s just my opinion. I try and listen to what something is, and not what something isn’t.

*they meaning Steve

Two things: Firstly, I was talking about the editing, not the performance.
Secondly, there are plenty of sloppy Maiden performances over the years. They're just human. The intro/outro bass sections from TRATB for example are incredibly sloppy, purely from a performance view. Speed Of Light has the copy/pasted bum note in the instrumental section. Trevoire mentioned the off snare hit in Hell On Earth.

We can argue about tastes and about how clean the songs should be played all day, but to claim that there's no sloppiness involved with Maiden at any point is objectively incorrect.
Production issues/editing mistakes shouldn't be allowed on an album, let alone on a Maiden album, but that can't ruin the whole experience for me. Some are jarring, but only for a moment. Senjutsu is the only album where they're so prominent. How did they mix the album? On a laptop, from a distance? I've forgotten. The first 2 songs also sound different from the rest of the album. Funnily enough, I like the off snare hit in ''Hell On Earth''.
Another example, Janick's solo in ''Montségur'' is poorly mixed. It's amazing how albums from the 80's or 90's or early 2000's don't have production issues, but albums from the 2010's have!

I can't agree about the sloppy performances, sorry. Steve's bass intro/outro in ''The Red And The Black'' sounds the same live (with ''The Clansman'' intro is different). The only thing that is strange is why they recorded TFF album when it is clear that Bruce needed more rest after the tour.

Edit: just to be clear, I don't have a problem and you have the right to criticize (even a song you like).

Last edited:
Production issues/editing mistakes shouldn't be allowed on an album, let alone on a Maiden album, but that can't ruin the whole experience for me. Some are jarring, but only for a moment. Senjutsu is the only album where they're so prominent. How did they mix the album? On a laptop, from a distance? I've forgotten. The first 2 songs also sound different from the rest of the album. Funnily enough, I like the off snare hit in ''Hell On Earth''.
Another example, Janick's solo in ''Montségur'' is poorly mixed. It's amazing how albums from the 80's or 90's or early 2000's don't have production issues, but albums from the 2010's have!

I can't agree about the sloppy performances, sorry. Steve's bass intro/outro in ''The Red And The Black'' sounds the same live (with ''The Clansman'' intro is different). The only thing that is strange is why they recorded TFF album when it is clear that Bruce needed more rest after the tour.

People need to reread my comment. I clearly said that Hell On Earth is a 10/10 for me. I love the song. It doesn't "ruin" anything for me. People should be able to criticize stuff without being accused of hating or being too critical.

You can like the bass section of TRATB, but from a purely playing POV it is sloppy. Undeniably so. Again, that's not necessary a negative thing, it's up to one's taste. Personally I'm not a fan of it, but it is what it is. It's absolutely not clean playing though.

You make some very valid points.

Having been in a band myself in the late 90s/early 00s made me much more aware of mistakes bands make either on stage or in recorded music. It does not ruin music enjoyment (for the most part), but it certainly influences my appreciation of gigs and/or albums.

Maiden's first US show of this tour announced.

View attachment 25115

Not announced yet, but on thursday.

This goes against what they told us after LOTB ended regarding this years tour, but clearly something has made them change plans.

Will be interesting to see how many shows they are intending in USA later this year. I doubt it's just the one show, but it's probably not a very extended run. Between 5-10 shows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back