The Final Frontier Reviews Thread

I think it'll grow on him as he loved BNW, DOD and AMOLAD. I'll have to wait 'til wednesday to listen to it, but from feelings and from what I've read about people who didn't like it, but now say they are blown away by the album, it's just too much information and a matter of really entering the journey the album is to see how fantastic it is.

LooseCannon said:
I have no problem with people disliking the album. My problem is when reviewers simply slag on a genre because they either don't understand it or they don't care to try to appreciate the music.

Me too.

The problem here too is calling them reviewers.  I think having access to the internet does not a critic make, but don't tell them that.  That doesn't mean I necessarily value a high-brow critic as someone reliable, but anyone and everyone "reviews" albums and movies today...and half of them can't spell their own names even given the first and last letters.
You can tell in some of these reviews those who do just one listen or even just a cursory listen.

What I can't understand is that there are so much mixed reviews on this album. I can understand that people need a second listen or that they don't like it even, but when you listen carefully I find the album's lyrics and music far better than amolad ( imo). No more repetive chorus and imo better lyrics.. For me the album is an instant classic! And ofcourse I'm a maiden fan but I also listen critically to the albums..

Anyway what people might say I like it and for me that counts.. :)

There are mixed reviews because people have different opinions and tastes.  Unfortunately, I can see many people who only have enough time to listen to it once or twice being turned off by what is  poor production and a mediocre Bruce performance; things that are up front and center that can make a bad first impression.  For me, I often only really come to appreciate an album when it gets played live.  I think there's really good material here; it just takes a while for it to shine through, and for someone who doesn't have the time or gets turned off initially they might not realize how good it is (or conversely, how bad it is if repeated listens make them hate it more  :p) before they write a review.

GuineaPig said:
There are mixed reviews because people have different opinions and tastes.  Unfortunately, I can see many people who only have enough time to listen to it once or twice being turned off by what is  poor production and a mediocre Bruce performance; things that are up front and center that can make a bad first impression.  For me, I often only really come to appreciate an album when it gets played live.  I think there's really good material here; it just takes a while for it to shine through, and for someone who doesn't have the time or gets turned off initially they might not realize how good it is (or conversely, how bad it is if repeated listens make them hate it more  :p) before they right a review.

true true!

I missed the part where bruce's performance was mediocre on this album...

My ears are telling me that Bruce absolutely steals the SHOW on this album, and I could not have expected anything possibly better for him (especially at his age).  Mother of mercy is the only song that he could've improved on.  I mean, good god, the chorus of talisman... I shattered some car windows when I cranked that today driving home from best buy.  :p

My initial and briefest possible thoughts at this fetal stage.  (Also posted from another site, so please pardon references like "as stated above" and things that don't reference this forum):

Satellite 15:  I really like the intro.  It's long and five years down the line I may wish they'd have separated this track from the title track, but for now I like how they work together.  As I said previously, I think the bizarre nature of the intro feeds well into perhaps the most straight forward meat and potatoes Maiden song since Running Free.  

The Final Frontier:  On it's own -- without any context -- it seems like Maiden-lite or at least Maiden of old.  Tonality-wise it's not far off the Fear Of The Dark (album, that is) mark...like Be Quick Or Be Dead...but from a simplicity standpoint it harkens back to the early days for me.  I like the tune.  It's in 4th gear from the start and never downshifts.  Fine solo.  Perfect compliment to the atmospheric intro.

El Dorado:  Fine song, especially lyrically.  I love Dickinson's tone, playing this snake oil salesman...(think Holy Smoke).  The song is pretty basic galloping Maiden and it goes down a pretty pedestrian (though enjoyable) road, especially the middle break before the solos.  Speaking of which, the Holy Trinity of Maiden guitarists lay down three nice ones all in a row.  A bit meatier than the title track, but still not a sign of what's to come.

Mother Of Mercy:  I really like this song a lot.  One of my favorites.  The chorus is great and one of the best on the album.  A war-themed piece that would've sidled up nicely on A Matter Of Life & Death.  

Coming Home:  Agree with the solo Dickinson comparisons all around.  Really nice "ballad" with exceptionally touching and poingnant lyrics.  I love the imagery in the words.  Musically it's pretty straight forward.  The descending intro is the only bit of real musical play in the song.  A bit different for Maiden.

The Alchemist:  A real throwback number here, sonically.  Has some of the ear-marks of a mid-80s Maiden tune.  Could very easily hear this on Piece Of Mind.  The lyrics again are pretty wicked cool Maiden.  Not my favorite, but I quite like it.

Isle Of Avalon:  This is probably my man-of-the-match award winner and the epic on the new album.  Tonally it harkens back to the middle section of the song 7th Son of a 7th Son, but with a bit more mystery than menace this go 'round.  (Plus it also has a neat little time signature hickey that works as well).  I really like the chorus "Fertility mother goddess...." and find myself humming this one a bunch.  My choice for "gem".

Starblind:  This is another one probably lodged in my top three or so.  Again another killer chorus and probably the "riff" song of the album, twice breaking into really nice riff-driven areas, the latter of which reminds me of mid-70s Sabbath...both odd and cool.  Great chorus.  Lots of energy for not being a "fast" song.  I enjoy the odd time signature prevalent here in the verses.

The Talisman:  Agree that this one very much reminds one of The Legacy.  True that....and especially so about halfway through the intro.  The beginning, not so much.  Either way a really lovely intro and a fine song.  Quickly becoming a favorite grower of mine.  Love the solo too.  Pretty unique.  One of Gers strongest ever Maiden contributions.  Just when you think he's a tit on a boar hog, he writes stuff like this and you realize why they keep him around, eh?

The Man Who Would Be King:  Best verses and verse melody of any song on the album.  I fucking love it.  "He is running from his wildest thoughts/He is running from his everything".  Chills.  Segue to the 4-minute mark and maybe the most unique sonic moment in recent memory for Maiden.  Some don't dig it, but I think it's pretty sensational (as discussed above).  Really this song is quite exceptional.  Another early favorite.

When The Wild When Blows:  Very much a Blaze Bayley-esque delivery by Dickinson, complete with Dickinson heft and effectiveness (unlike his predecessor's drone).  This epic could fit very nicely, both musically and lyrically, on The X Factor.  I often wonder what that album would've sounded like with Dickinson at the helm instead of Bayley and this was my chance to hear that.  Bruce doesn't go out wailing here, but pulls back all song long to deliver the lyrics in a story-tellers softer (though powerful) tone.  It's a gripping song and an early and easy fan favorite.  I tend to think it's a bit overstated as being the very BEST thing the band has done since 2000 or that it's immediately one of the very greatests Maiden songs ever, but I stop far short of calling it disappointing.  Hardly...just probably not worthy of the degree of praise it's getting.  Still it's a great song and a fine album ender.

Back