The Final Frontier Reviews Thread

Private Breeg, great review!  I laugh hysterically at the part where you say the verses from the man who would be king are the best on the album... Not so much because I disagree, but due to the hatred on this forum for that song's verses.  I find the verses to be just fine actually.  Not my favorite on the album, but they aren't atrocious or anything.  That is a great song.  Very twisty road it takes you down.

I don't think there's any hatred for the song. I think people are just saying that it has grown the least on them.

LeakPlease said:
Private Breeg, great review!  I laugh hysterically at the part where you say the verses from the man who would be king are the best on the album... Not so much because I disagree, but due to the hatred on this forum for that song's verses.  I find the verses to be just fine actually.  Not my favorite on the album, but they aren't atrocious or anything.  That is a great song.  Very twisty road it takes you down.

Are those verses really going over that poorly here?  (Honestly I've kept up only so much).  I stand by 'em!!!  ;)  I love that song all the way around.   :)

I was expecting something horrible when I first listened, because everyone said how boring and disinterested Bruce sounds
  I don't get it either man.

That Aftenposten journalist has no clue. Weak vocals? I think Bruce sounds in great form on this album. Is the journalist comparing every performance by Bruce to Piece of Mind? (That''s the album on which he sounds best, in my opinion - just to clarify)

Alright, here's some first impressions I have of the album.

In general, what stands out to me is the lack of repetitive choruses, the baffling sound of most of the songs (read: how un-Maiden and yet Maiden they sound at the same time), and the lyrics. Especially the lyrics on this album stand out as first class. Which is in itself unusual, because for me Maiden has always been most about the melodies and the lyrics come second. But here it seems like the lyrics have been given a deal more thought and reverence.
I read a Swedish review of this album where the journalist said that Maiden dared to redefine themselves even in their old age. I would tend to agree. This album has the signature of Maiden (because Maiden just has that special sound by which we can recognize even the most obscure songs composed by Maiden) but at the same time it is the antithesis of classic Maiden as defined by anything they've produced until now. I can almost picture Steve sitting everyone down and telling them that this new album is not going to be a redo of the 80's, because they've been there and done that. It's also not going to be another AMOLAD. It's gonna be 'future' Maiden. And because of their age and experience I think Maiden took many liberties in redefining themselves. They know that their fans, the true ones, can take it. And I think that while it is a look to the future in many ways it is heavily influenced by Maiden's beginnings. I would venture to say its Maiden's take on prog, which is what they grew up with, and I think Steve even said in an interview that in their old age they have returned to the things that influenced them in the very beginning. This is not to say that the album isn't heavy, or metal. It is. Because it's Maiden.
As to the length, yes it is long, but not unnecessarily so. Precisely because there is so little repetitive chorus and the lyrics progress very much in each song, when the ending comes, it feels appropriate. The only song that I think could be (even) longer due to the lyrics is The Talisman. Anyway, having said all this, this is an album that requires much listening to, and in-depth reflection. So I will come back with more thoughts a bit later, as well as an opinion on some songs.

But overall at first take it strikes me especially as an album melded together from The X Factor and A Matter of Life and Death, with glimpses from some of their more epic productions (The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, for example).

Excellent take on the album. Hard to disagree with it anyway.

edit: apart from your words about The Talisman. It's my least favourite track (excessively explained in that topic) and I can't see how extending it would make it better.

I agree especially with your comparison with AMOLAD.

Thanks Forostar.
Actually my comment about The Talisman is solely based on the lyrical content, as in, all other songs seem to have a complete storyline but this song feels a little chopped off at the end. But in terms of the music itself, I'll come to that once I've given it a few more listens :).

The Final Frontier anyone else dissapointed with the album??

I have to say that after some 5/6 listens to the album im a bit dissapointed :(I really enjoyed AMOLAD but i think the new album is a bit more of the same but not done nearly as well there is a distinct heard it all before feel to the album with far too many slow plodding intros that sound overly familiar and last too long i just feel that there are too many long drawn out tracks that simply dont really need to be as long!yes there are some great typical Maiden galloping moments and some great guitar, drum and bass work and Bruce is fine too but overall its not one of thier best i feel but maybe its a grower? what worries me though is that the previous reunion albums had an immediate impact on me and i loved them straight away this one im not so sure does anyone else feel the same?

Re: The Final Frontier anyone else dissapointed with the album??

Just freaking listen to it more. I'm sick of people saying "I gave it three listens and I don't like it."

I'm finding a new favorite song every time, and I've heard it probably 20 times now.

Re: The Final Frontier anyone else dissapointed with the album??

lightintheblack said:
I have to say that after some 5/6 listens to the album im a bit dissapointed :(I really enjoyed AMOLAD but i think the new album is a bit more of the same but not done nearly as well there is a distinct heard it all before feel to the album with far too many slow plodding intros that sound overly familiar and last too long i just feel that there are too many long drawn out tracks that simply dont really need to be as long!yes there are some great typical Maiden galloping moments and some great guitar, drum and bass work and Bruce is fine too but overall its not one of thier best i feel but maybe its a grower? what worries me though is that the previous reunion albums had an immediate impact on me and i loved them straight away this one im not so sure does anyone else feel the same?

Maybe it will grow on you. If not life goes on...

lightintheblack said:

I can respect your opinions, but I definitely disagree.  If you liked AMOLAD, then how can you think that this one has too many long, drawn-out slow intros?  AMOLAD had em on all but like 2 tracks!  This one probably has em on 3 or 4, and they vary greatly.  I feel for you because I was also a huge fan of AMOLAD, but give this one another month of spinning and see if you like it.  It really is at least as good as AMOLAD, which is my favorite Maiden record of all time by the way.

Also I gotta say that this one is more of a grower than DoD or BNW for sure.
GuineaPig said:
The review I was most looking forward to: the PopMatters one.  They tend to pull no punches, and are the barometer I tend to judge an album on before I buy it.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/129 ... -frontier/

"When you follow a band for a long time, there comes a point where you know their “classic era” has long since passed, and even though you still eagerly buy their albums 25, 30 years into their career, all you basically ask is that they come through with new music that’s enjoyable enough and that they don’t embarrass themselves too much...Incredibly, nobody told Iron Maiden that was the road to take. "

\m/ love that line

Not to sound like a gushing fanboy here, but after about 9 listens now I can't even isolate a favorite song anymore, nor can I a least favorite....(at the risk of getting a sheep label).  Being honest here.  On AMOLAD I knew I liked The Pilgrim the least -- though I enjoy that song -- and it's still my least favorite.  But damn it to hell every time I listen, another favorite gets trumped.  It's a good problem to have as a fan, I must say!

Back