The Final Frontier Reviews Thread

Jeffmetal said:
The Final Frontier is not only better than Brave New World, it surpassed even Dance Of Death. The guy who said Starblind is bland must have serious auditive problems, this song alone is better than the whole of AMOLAD.
I have TFF JUST below BNW. Barely.  I can't really get into the semantics of it. They are both great albums, BUT, when it comes to "weak" moments, TFF has more than BNW

BNW and TFF doesn't have weak moments, DOD has 2 'normal' songs in Wildest Dreams and New Frontier, now AMOLAD has only a few strong moments.

My weak moments for TFF are the verses in MOM and TMWWBK(When Bruce starts singing at 2:25-it's kind of boring after the slow, epic intro and build up).

I think this 'strained' voice thing is a paranoic thing, not forgetting he's 52 years old. On AMOLAD, he and Nicko were the men of the match.

Jeffmetal said:
BNW and TFF doesn't have weak moments, DOD has 2 'normal' songs in Wildest Dreams and New Frontier, now AMOLAD has only a few strong moments.
 You and I can agree to disagree on this.  I agree with you on BNW,  however, IMHO, there are weak moments on TFF.  Namely the first three and a half minutes of WTWWB.  It reminds me of nursery school rhymes I sang when I was 5.  "did you know?...did you know?... on and on.   That melody repeats too many times for me until the song finally gets a little interesting.  Also, the LLOOONNNGGGG intro to the Talisman that should have been over at :50.  I know that this long intro was telling the story of the Captain who was braving the storm, but geesh that intro was long.  And Janicks weird solo was also off-putting to me.  I kind of realize that the solo and the way it was played may have been to sound like " rolling on the stormy seas"....but I just dont like the solo.
Jeffmetal said:
I think this 'strained' voice thing is a paranoic thing, not forgetting he's 52 years old. On AMOLAD he and Nicko were the men of the match.
Listen to AMOLAD and TFF back to back when you have time and tell me Bruce is not pushing it.  Don't get me wrong. I worship the man, but I think the fact that Maiden recorded this album so quickly ( in relative terms to the others ) had a lot to do with this.  Maybe Bruce just wasn't ready to lay down these vox on the days that he did.  Maybe he needed a couple more days to go over the lyrics and the way he wanted to sing them?  I love the album but the vocals on MOM ( most notably the chorus ) and The Talisman especially are not Bruce's best.

Fact is though that he strains all over the place on AMOLAD too.  These Colours, 1000 Suns, Breeg, Lord of Light. 

After nearly a week of intense listening, I'm calling The Final Frontier a success.  I took me awhile to get used to the fact that it's not quite as heavy or riffy as AMOLAD.  But I think the melodies and melodic moments are far superior.  And no more annoying repeating choruses save one is a step in the right direction.

I actually think the fact that I didn't love this right away was a good thing.  As soon as it clicked it clicked big time.

Great album.  Only time will tell how it compares to their catalog as a whole as it's too soon to rank them. 

I thought about making a very long post that details everything I have to say, but I don't really feel like it right now. I'll just read through other posts and comment on the things I agree with.

Anyways: This album is fantastic. It's the most amazingly interesting album Maiden has ever done. So proggresive and not Maiden, while actually being Maiden. Can't explain it.

It feels fresh and new, while it still borrows from past albums, namely seventh son on starblind and man on the edge on the alchemist. Oh, and the second verse from the talisman sounds like the legacy.

I have to say though, that my two least favorite songs are the alchemist and When The Wild Wind Blows.
They both feel too happy for me.

Also, the only moment Dickinson feels old to me is in the chorus of mother of mercy: he can barely hit the note.

The Talisman and Mother Of Mercy some of the songs which struck me more due to Bruce's performance than any other thing.

Well, I just know that The Final Frontier is even above Dance Of Death, already.

This album works subconsciously - when you least expect, you're totally mesmerized by some part from any of the songs and all things go falling into place as listenings and time goes on.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
The Blabbermouthers are actually liking it quite a bit. 7.9 for an average user rating.
It would be much higher if not for the retards that are giving it ones. If you check the users' ratings almost 65% is 9-10 and almost 75% is 8-10 , it's just the few ones that bring the rating down.

What do you expect? Like any website with a user comment function, Blabbermouth is a retard water hole.

Quite surprised that Blabbermouth rated it 9 /10, considering the previews ratings of the new era albums.

BNW 5 /10
AMOLAD 5.5 /10

johnglen said:
It would be much higher if not for the retards that are giving it ones. If you check the users' ratings almost 65% is 9-10 and almost 75% is 8-10 , it's just the few ones that bring the rating down.

That bugs me so much.  If you rated the album a 1, you probably don't like heavy metal at all.  Don't be an idiot.  Sheesh.  I may not be a huge Korn or Papa Roach fan but I wouldn't go giving their albums 1.

LooseCannon said:
The extremely handsome author of a blog wrote a decent review:

http://logofveritas.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... ntier.html

Love your comment on Starblind: "This one deserves a full review. Amazing. A++."  Tell us how you really feel LC.

Wish I had time for a full review; instead, my number ratings / quick comments

1.) Sat 15...TFF - 9/10 - two very different tracks mashed together perfectly
2.) El Dorado - 8.5/10 - great storytelling n musicianship, love the structure
3.) Mother of Mercy - 8.5/10 - lyrically poignant, well-done musically, great tune
4.) Coming Home - 9/10 - perfect cheese
5.) The Alchemist - 9/10 - Blistering track with varied melodies
6.) Isle of Avalon - 10/10 - This is why I listen to Maiden
7.) Starblind - 10/10 - perfection
8.) The Talisman - 9.5/10 - throwback track, Rime of Ancient Mariner 2
9.) The Man Who Would Be King - 7.5/10 - weakest track to me, but fun easy listening
10.) When the Wild Wind Blows - 10/10 - perfection

Back