The Final Frontier charts' thread

LooseCannon said:
Of course they would, but that's not how radio stations work. Radio is a dying enterprise all around the world, mate. As a result, they have to pander to the market that they have. They aren't getting people my age, and younger than me? Not a chance. I never listen to the radio. Ever, and it's not just because there's nothing on the radio for me; it's because my music is in my pocket, always.

So, radio is not going to play songs that don't appeal to a lot of people in their demographic. They play what's super-popular to appease people who listen casually, and they play what's classic to appease people who listen to the radio. As even classic Iron Maiden isn't really applicable to either category, only dedicated stations are going to go ahead and do it.

To most radio stations, the average listener MAY have heard Run to the Hills. Aside from that? The Wicker Man? Bollocks, fuck that shit. Nobody has heard of it. Or, should I say - a tiny percentage of people have.

Maiden just ain't over in the States.

Actually, thanks to some considerable pushing by Sony and the hype of the reunion, Wicker Man made the Airplay Top 20 on Rock Radio - thus becoming their 2nd most successful promo single in the States (after Flight of Icarus).  Wicker Man also got some airtime on VH1.

nibblet said:
Actually, thanks to some considerable pushing by Sony and the hype of the reunion, Wicker Man made the Airplay Top 20 on Rock Radio - thus becoming their 2nd most successful promo single in the States (after Flight of Icarus).  Wicker Man also got some airtime on VH1.
Not here in Minnesota.

nibblet said:

Here in Ontario, Canada, the only two songs I've heard played are 'Run to the Hills' and 'Wickerman', the former is the first song I heard from them, and the latter is the song that got me into Maiden.  So, in my case radio works.  Except that was in 2003.  I don't listen to the radio anymore.

Genghis Khan said:
EDIT: I wonder if the American market just has more competition.  No disrespect to Iron Maiden.

From what I gather there would be more competition in Europe, not just from other Metal acts, but other genres.

Now, It is my understanding, which could be wrong, Europeans in general have broader tastes in music than North Americans. The same person that is buying the Maiden album will be buying a Techno or Rap cds without a second thought. In North America there is the misconception that if your Country you can't possibly be Rock 'n' Roll.

Onhell said:
From what I gather there would be more competition in Europe, not just from other Metal acts, but other genres.

Now, It is my understanding, which could be wrong, Europeans in general have broader tastes in music than North Americans. The same person that is buying the Maiden album will be buying a Techno or Rap cds without a second thought.

Could be.  I don't know.

Onhell said:
In North America there is the misconception that if your Country you can't possibly be Rock 'n' Roll.

That's true in Canada, at least when I was a teenager.  Young people today have mellowed out more, it seems to me.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
Still, the possibility does exist that someone who has never heard Maiden could be listening to the radio and hear them for the VERY FIRST time and because of that, become a fan.

Yeah, every maiden fan had to hear their first maiden song at some point and the odds are they heard it off the tv or radio and maiden get very little coverage on either.

But nowadays 90% of people use the internet and maiden have a huge following on the net with plenty of forums, fan sites and other shit.

The "lack of mainstream support" excuse may have made a massive impact on sales in te 80's but not so much nowadays.

Babo 91 said:
saudi arabia

As far as I am aware there are no official music charts in any Arabic country due to the nature of how music is distributed there (i.e. mostly bootlegged).

If someone has some sources for this I would be interested.

Actually, Maiden get almost zero TV time outside USA, too.

I've been hooked on Viva Zwei for years (German "alternative" music channel). Metallica was all over the place. There has been a special Virus edition (sub-show that deals with Metal) with Bruce Dickinson and Chemical Wedding tour. Outside that, i've seen The Tower video, again on "Virus". The only time i've seen / heard Maiden was in the final days of Viva Zwei, they played Wicker Man.

Mind you, i've listened to that channel whole day. For 4-5 years. I had a pair of speakers hooked up on VCR's SCART, and Viva Zwei was tuned. So i listened it as a radio. I've seen Maiden once and Bruce twice.

Maiden were a part of general Metal movement throughout the '80s and early '90s. They were popular outside their fan circle because Metal was popular, and they were the apex of it. Then the whole grunge era, Metal became unpopular, Maiden remained Maiden and started building their own thing. I think we all remember how the '90s affected Metal in general...the unpopularity of stereotypical '80s hair bands triggered new sub-genres, cross-overs with other types of music (mainly rap). In all that mumbo jumbo, Maiden remained the same, and now they're pretty much isolated. They built their own niche, and since mid-90s, that particular niche doesn't fit into any trend. Metal may have gained popularity again, but it's not the same music that was in '80s.

To conclude, IMHO, they wouldn't get much larger airplay if they went No.1 in USA and 100 other countries. Because they just don't fit in any of today's music circles.

I'll bet any money that Maiden would not have become unpopular during the grunge era if Bruce and Adrian stayed in the band and they put out albums on par with the ones before NPFTD.

johnglen said:
Shouldn't Slovenia have been added to that list ?

Genghis Khan said:
Actually, that is a Slovenian site and Maiden is clearly listed as #1.
Read my post guys, it is not the Slovenian charts, it's the Irish charts: http://forum.maidenfans.com/http://foru ... 46#p267546

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
Still, the possibility does exist that someone who has never heard Maiden could be listening to the radio and hear them for the VERY FIRST time and because of that, become a fan.
But Travis, for the second time, there's no argument here, because this is what I am saying!

It is nice to see Maiden do well in the charts in this day and age of crappy music out there. I do live in the US and bought the new album right away and love it but the taste of music here is pretty much crap.

I first listened to Maiden back in about 85 when Live after Death came out and I was blown away and I went to see them in 87 for my first time of many. So I may be new to this board but not to Maiden.... Up the Irons!!  :shred:

Onhell said:

Now, It is my understanding, which could be wrong, Europeans in general have broader tastes in music than North Americans. The same person that is buying the Maiden album will be buying a Techno or Rap cds without a second thought. In North America there is the misconception that if your Country you can't possibly be Rock 'n' Roll.
Yep , there many local artists in most european countries that Maiden have to compeet with and that's why i find the fact that they went straight to n.1 in countries like France and Spain (countries with a big tradition in local music) impressive .

Back