The Final Frontier charts' thread

____no5

Free Man
I thought to create a general thread about charting positons /sells etc so to avoid having a new one every time it hits in a new country.
Here we go :

TFF to hit #1 in UK

Well the album is leaked one week now, the die hard fans listened to it,
spread the word about its awesomeness and that's why it's selling fast (already 22.000 copies !) Well, that's my explanation.

According to Music Week, British heavy metal legends IRON MAIDEN are on track to have a No. 1 album in the U.K. this Sunday, with their latest effort, "The Final Frontier" (EMI), selling more than three times as many as its nearest competitor, EMINEM's "Recovery" (Interscope), so far this week.

"The Final Frontier", the band's 15th studio album, has sold more than 22,000 copies, while "Recovery" has sold around 7,000 this week in the U.K., according to Official Charts Company midweek figures.

Source --> http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=144666

I don't even wanna know the charts in the U.S.  People here have pretty awful tastes in music these days...sad but true.

Crimson Mask said:
On the plus side, you have to sell a hell of a lot less albums to make #1 than you did, say, 10 or 15 years ago.
This applies to every album out there, so i don't see the point of the comparison.

Anyway i hope for the best chart postions possible, since better chart positions=more exposure from the media and bigger suucess=more albums from the almighty Maiden in the future, IMO.

johnglen said:
Anyway i hope for the best chart postions possible, since better chart positions=more exposure from the media and bigger suucess=more albums from the almighty Maiden in the future, IMO.

Except that none of that applies to heavy metal acts.

Not in the US, at least. And perhaps not in the UK. But there is some mainstream recognition for metal acts in Germany, for instance.

A #1 is certainly possible in the US, because Iron Maiden picked a fucking good time to release an album. Currently in Canada, on iTunes, TFF is both 3rd and 5th because the two editions count separately for some stupid reason. The boys are also front page. And I just signed in with my US account; they're 4th.

Perun said:
Not in the US, at least. And perhaps not in the UK. But there is some mainstream recognition for metal acts in Germany, for instance.

Yeah, I keep forgetting that half the board is not in the US.  Let me rephrase that - Maiden will have zero extra media exposure from reaching #1 in the US.  Mainly because next week they won't still be #1.

I hope it makes Number 1 everywhere! Maiden deserves it as they always have. I just bought The Final Frontier an hour ago and I still have yet to hear the whole thing. This makes a 10 year tradition for me of buying new Maiden albums on their release day. I was broke and in high school back in 1998 when Virtual XI came out and I was unaware of the release date. However I still bought it later that year. As for X Factor, I was still discovering Maiden and metal at the time I was on a non-stop Ozzy Osbourne and Ozzy-led Black Sabbath kick but I got hooked on Maiden in one year's time and I've been ever since!  :edmetal:
Time to crank up The Final Frontier!!

I think that the effect of reaching no. 1 in the US will be that Maiden will try to get more shows there the next time they tour, and quite possibly it will influence them to play more songs of the album live.  In Europe, the album is, I would say, almost guaranteed to reach top chart positions, and probably number 1 in many countries like Germany and the Scandinavian countries.  This is not only dependent on the album's quality (which rocks) but simply it being Maiden, and big metal releases in general selling rather well in those countries.

Crimson Mask said:
Yeah, I keep forgetting that half the board is not in the US.  Let me rephrase that - Maiden will have zero extra media exposure from reaching #1 in the US.  Mainly because next week they won't still be #1.

If by "Media" you mean radio/MTV I agree, but most attention is online now and while surprisingly, magazines. Magazine readership has been on the rise in recent years, I'm sure that includes music publications.... They'll get their proper kudos there.

Will-I-Am said:
Too much US  :blink: I hope you've realized that the initial post is speaking about UK  :p

I could be wrong but I believe they're talking about the US because IM never had a #1 spot in the US before and it's very possible with this album.

Does anyone know: Wasn't AMOLAD their best selling album since the late 80's?

Nope, they speak about UK. No #1 spot there since 1992 and only 3 in 30 years, so is not a small thing either.

Onhell said:
If by "Media" you mean radio/MTV I agree, but most attention is online now and while surprisingly, magazines. Magazine readership has been on the rise in recent years, I'm sure that includes music publications.... They'll get their proper kudos there.

Name one place on the internet that's going to cover Maiden MORE than they already do, if they hit #1 on the charts.

Aside from a "Hey, Maiden hit #1 this week" blurb.

Machiventa said:
Does anyone know: Wasn't AMOLAD their best selling album since the late 80's?

I don't know about absolute sales, but it was the highest charting album in the US, and the first one to break into the top ten (at #9).

Post 80s' best seller must be No Prayer which was certified gold =500,000+ sales.
After that is Fear of the Dark with about 400,000, followed by BNW and AMOLAD is 4th.
Quite sure about it, not certain though.
If anyone has an account in Nielsen SoundScan, he could bring the exact numbers -it's considering very reliable for the post 1991 sales.

Crimson Mask said:
Name one place on the internet that's going to cover Maiden MORE than they already do, if they hit #1 on the charts.

Aside from a "Hey, Maiden hit #1 this week" blurb.

That's a very good question. I don't visit any websites outside of this one, my bank, e-mail and Facebook, so I can't tell you. But last I checked the Internet is pretty big and I'm sure there are plenty of fan and metal sites around.

Back