The Fallen Angel

How good is The Fallen Angel on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: The Fallen Angel

I find the verses and the solos pretty OK, but even those parts are not top class. Bridges and choruses are really less good, with that too familiar sounding lead guitar (Wasted Years / The Clansman).

Low 7

Forostar said:
...pretty OK, ...not top class. ... really less good, with that too familiar sounding...

Low 7

Why not a 4 or 5?

Not to pick on you, but you posted a few minutes after my rant....

In my book, 4 or 5 is weak, not pretty OK.

I am not that often below 7. I gave a 6 for three VXI songs, and one TXF song. I gave a 4 for the worst FOTD song. I have given a few other sixes in the 1980-1983 period.

I do intend to give some more 5's and 6's on DOD and TFF (and maybe even on this album).

If interested, I participated in several discussions about ratings (e.g. here).
A 1 isn't for me "Maiden's worst" but "worst music there is".

In this topic you can see the averages of people's song ratings, per album. It gives an idea of how different some people do it. Biggest differences: I'd say Jeffmetal and national acrobat.

Yep! As long as people are consistant with their own rankings throughout, it'll work out fine. Someone who gives easy ratings or never goes below a 4 or 5 gets balanced out by someone who throws 1s around like they are candy.

Musically, this song is quite straight-forward, lyrically it's more cryptic. However, it has never managed to capture me like some other songs on this album. Decent, but miles behind the best on the album. 7, and a weak one at that.

Thanks, Forostar. Fair enough.

Personally, I've been trying to have as many 10s as 1s, reserving those for maybe my top/bottom 10ish. I'm sure I still have a positive skew (more high numbers than low numbers). I'm just constantly surprised that I am usually one of the lowest numbers (especially during the 90s which are my 4 least favorite albums). Especially when a song like Fallen Angel, which many think is one of the weakest tracks on BNW, gets several 8s.

Alright. I rather see a ranking as a consequence (or translation) of a feeling, and not as a norm. If I'd want a certain amount of 1's then my ratings would be influenced by that norm.

Habberdasher said:
I'm just constantly surprised that I am usually one of the lowest numbers (especially during the 90s which are my 4 least favorite albums).

This might have to do with the fact that most others do not see these 4 as their 4 least favourite albums. Most of them will have a better feeling about the bulk of those songs than you, the least good ones included.

Habberdasher said:
Especially when a song like Fallen Angel, which many think is one of the weakest tracks on BNW, gets several 8s.

I do not think this one is the weakest so I can't speak for this particular track, but when people give an 8 for a weakest track they probably find the whole album tremendously good. I did this with Somewhere in Time, where I give Heaven Can Wait an 8. The least good song, but still better than Revelations, Where Eagles, Sanctuary, Drifter (the list goes on..). In my opinion that is. ;)

So, apart from these different ranking methods, taste (and comparing with other songs) is still an important factor.

For me, it's the weakest song on the album, or very close, but I still like it more than Be Quick or Be Dead, which was a solid 6, but not as much as an 8...I dunno, it's subjective as fuck.

8/10 from me this song has always been one of my favorites.  It's short and to the point, quite heavy in fact, reminding me a great deal of Piece of Mind era Maiden.  I wonder if Adrian had these riffs intended for a Bruce song as they sound a bit meaner than most Maiden tracks.  The only thing I don't care for is Bruce's strained chorus.  Otherwise, good song.

Forostar said:
So, apart from these different ranking methods, taste (and comparing with other songs) is still an important factor.

Not to beat the discussion to death, but I picked on this song in particular because it was the first BNW song eliminated in Survivor and there were several seemingly middling reviews, but the song still got a high score. Clearly I'm using a different grading system than many others. It would be interesting to know what the average score of all songs is. In my mind it should be around 5, but I have a feeling it will be closer to 7.6.

Of course taste is a factor, but my beef is more about the math and the distribution of scores. I gave Revelations a 10 and find some of the weaker 80s songs (The Duellists, Sun and Steel, Only the Good Die Young) much better than just anything done in the last 20 years. Also, I think El Dorado is one of the top 5 songs Maiden have done since the reunion.

6/10. Not a bad effort but does not hit the mark fully.

Heavy stuff this song, but it's definitely in a bracket with The Mercenary down at the bottom of this album. 4/10

About the same as The Mercenary. Has a slightly worse chorus, but the rest of the song is basically the same for the rest of the song. So I'll give this a 6/10 as well.

The Wasted Years like riff in the chorus has always been a disturbing reminder to me of what incredible Maiden can sound like and what this song will never be.

I love this song. The riff and the solo are really good. And Bruce's vocals are amazing. (Vocally this is his best albun since rejoining the band) 10/10

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
Another fun and kick as rocker that's a bit simple, but I still love it. 8/10
Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
A pretty fun kick ass rocker. It's simple, but I really enjoy it. 8/10
  :p

9. Lizzy inspired intro with great passage before getting into the main/verse riff, lyrics are pretty simple and although based on a movie should've been a bit more worked out, the chorus is pretty cool, too, but it also couldn't have had more parts and really extensive lyrics 'cos it was made to be a hook in the ear, great solos in different keys for each of the '3 Amigos'. Powerful and underrated!!! :edmetal:

OK track. Nothing wrong or remarkable about it. A high Six

Back