The Fallen Angel

How good is The Fallen Angel on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'The Fallen Angel' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'the Fallen Angel'

this song has obviously been inspired by the film "fallen" starring Denzel Washington, although it has never been confirmed by the band. Lyrics seem like an overall refference to the film, watch it, you'll appreciate the song more.

'the Fallen Angel'

I don't really like this one. It has a great chorus, but the rest of it still has to grow on me, it seems.

Rating: 3

(I can't really give this terrible marks either- even a bad song from Maiden is still a comparatively good song)

'the Fallen Angel'

It's kind of a filler song on BNW, and it just isn't as good as some of the other material. But it's still a good song, it would have been among the best on some other albums, but on BNW there are much better tracks.

'the Fallen Angel'

My favorite "short song" of the album.
I had the chance to see it live !! (exit 'The Mercenary' ! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )

Amazing solos, in particular the Janick's one !

I give it 4,5/5

NB : There's a little problem during the Janick's solo : a little sound occured by a re-recording.
A friend of me who have worked during the recording (remember that it was in Paris) told me that only him noticed that and none (neither the producer nor the band) found it very important and did care about ! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Can you hear it ??? [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
(it's in the begining of the solo)

'the Fallen Angel'

[!--QuoteBegin-gor+May 15 2004, 05:20 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(gor @ May 15 2004, 05:20 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]this song has obviously been inspired by the film "fallen" starring Denzel Washington, although it has never been confirmed by the band. Lyrics seem like an overall refference to the film, watch it, you'll appreciate the song more.
[snapback]65752[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I hate to disagree with you Gor, because to me it is obviously inspired by the Book of Enoch/ the Book of Giants found in the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Ethiopian Bible. I've seen the movie and the only thing that stuck was "Tiiiiime is on my side" hehe.

Anywho, in the Book of Enoch/Giants tells the story of the war in heaven and how the sons of God (rebel angels) know (couple with) the daughters of man who in turn give birth to a horrible race of giants. Also the angels give men weapons and teach them about war. "Could it be it's the end of our world?" When God hears about this he calls for the leader of the band of angels to be brought before Him to be punished. The name of the rebel leader... Azazel "Noting left but to face this all on my own/ 'cause I am the chosen one" as in he has been singled out as the leader and he is the one punished for it. As far as I know the name "Azazel" does not appear in any other Bible book.

'the Fallen Angel'

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Feb 11 2005, 03:56 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Feb 11 2005, 03:56 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I hate to disagree with you Gor, because to me it is obviously inspired by the Book of Enoch/ the Book of Giants found in the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Ethiopian Bible. I've seen the movie and the only thing that stuck was "Tiiiiime is on my side" hehe.

Anywho, in the Book of Enoch/Giants tells the story of the war in heaven and how the sons of God (rebel angels) know (couple with) the daughters of man who in turn give birth to a horrible race of giants. Also the angels give men weapons and teach them about war. "Could it be it's the end of our world?" When God hears about this he calls for the leader of the band of angels to be brought before Him to be punished. The name of the rebel leader... Azazel "Noting left but to face this all on my own/ 'cause I am the chosen one" as in he has been singled out as the leader and he is the one punished for it. As far as I know  the name "Azazel" does not appear in any other Bible book.
[snapback]97729[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I love it when you disagree with me... brings up new facts. Didn't know about that book. It makes an intresting interpretation! I'll look into it

'the Fallen Angel'

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Feb 11 2005, 03:56 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Feb 11 2005, 03:56 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I hate to disagree with you Gor, because to me it is obviously inspired by the Book of Enoch/ the Book of Giants found in the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Ethiopian Bible. I've seen the movie and the only thing that stuck was "Tiiiiime is on my side" hehe.

Anywho, in the Book of Enoch/Giants tells the story of the war in heaven and how the sons of God (rebel angels) know (couple with) the daughters of man who in turn give birth to a horrible race of giants. Also the angels give men weapons and teach them about war. "Could it be it's the end of our world?" When God hears about this he calls for the leader of the band of angels to be brought before Him to be punished. The name of the rebel leader... Azazel "Noting left but to face this all on my own/ 'cause I am the chosen one" as in he has been singled out as the leader and he is the one punished for it. As far as I know  the name "Azazel" does not appear in any other Bible book.
[snapback]97729[/snapback]​
[/quote]

While I am not overall familiar with the Dead Sea Scrolls, the name Azazel does appear elsewhere in the bible. Azazel is mentioned in the Old Testament as a goat that was once a year in the days of the temple made the scapegoat for the sins of the people (which is actually where the term came from) and was sent off into the wilderness. I am not sure how this is translated in whatever particular copy of the bible you are looking for, but it is certainly the name used in the original Hebrew.

'the Fallen Angel'

[!--QuoteBegin-DownloadTHIS+Jun 17 2005, 02:03 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(DownloadTHIS @ Jun 17 2005, 02:03 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]While I am not overall familiar with the Dead Sea Scrolls, the name Azazel does appear elsewhere in the bible. Azazel is mentioned in the Old Testament as a goat that was once a year in the days of the temple made the scapegoat for the sins of the people (which is actually where the term came from) and was sent off into the wilderness. I am not sure how this is translated in whatever particular copy of the bible you are looking for, but it is certainly the name used in the original Hebrew.
[snapback]108883[/snapback]​
[/quote]
oh wow, thanks man, I had overseen that, thank you (if you check this again. I'll dobule check, however I meant "Azazel" as refering to the Devil, not a goat.

'the Fallen Angel'

Azazel and the Se'irim

Azazel is the chief of the Se'irim, or goat-demons, who haunted the desert and to whom most primitive Semitic (most likely non-Hebrew) tribes offered sacrifices. The Old Testament states that Jeroboam appointed priests for the Se'irim. But Josiah destroyed the places of their worship, as the practices accompanying this worship involved copulation of women with goats.

The Se'irim, or hairy demons as the word itself means, are mentioned in Leviticus 17:7 and 2 Chronicles 11:15 as "goat-demons". Isaiah 34:14 says that the "goat-demons" greet each other amoung the ruins of Edom along with Lilith and other wild beasts.

The name 'Azazel' may be derived from 'azaz' and 'el' meaning 'strong one of God.' It is thought that Azazel may have been derived from the Canaanite god, 'Asiz, who caused the sun to burn strongly. It has also been theorized that he has been influenced by the Egyptian god, Seth.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Azazel in Leviticus

Leviticus 16:8 tells that the Lord ordered his high priest, Aaron, to 'place lots upon the two goats, one marked for the Lord and the other marked for Azazel' on the Jewish Day of Atonement. The goat designated by lot for the Lord is to be used as a sin offering, while the goat designated for Azazel "shall be left standing alive before the Lord, to make expiation with it and to send it off to the wilderness for Azazel." (Lev 16:10) Aaron was to "lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat and confess over it all the iniquities and transgressions of the Israelites, whatever their sins, putting them on the head of the goat; and it shall be sent off to the wilderness through a designated an. Thus the goat shall carry on it all their iniquities to an inaccessible region; and the goat shall be set free in the wilderness." (Lev 16:21-22) Leviticus also says that "He who set the Azazel-goat free shall wash his clothes and bathe his body in water; after that he may reenter the camp." (16:26)

From this passage in Leviticus, it would seem that Azazel is conceived of as a personal being, as lots were drawn for the Lord and for him. Also, Leviticus mentions that Azazel lives in the wilderness, as do the Se'irim. Because of this ritual, Azazel is known as the "scapegoat." The goat that is sent to Azazel is not as a sacrifice, but as a symbol that there is no longer any unexpiated guilt. Both the goat and the man who leads away the goat are unclean, and the only way the man can reenter the camp is by washing his clothes and bathing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Azazel in The Book of Enoch

In one account of the fall of the angels in the Book of Enoch, Azazel (Asa'el as in the Qumran texts) is the leader of the Watchers who educates humankind of heavenly secrets that lead humankind to sin. These teachings include making weapons of war and preparing cosmetics, which enabled the women to seduce the angels.

The angels then charge Asa'el before the Lord with crimes of revealing the heavenly secrets which mankind was not supposed to know. Raphael was then assigned to punish Asa'el by binding him hand and foot and throwing him into the darkness among the sharp and jagged rocks, where he would remain until the day of judgment when he would be hurled into the fire. The story then claims that "the whole earth has been corrupted by [Asa'el's] teachings of his (own) actions; and write upon him all sin." . It was because of Asa'el's teachings that God sent the Flood to destroy the evil in the world including even the souls of the giants, so that all evil will be wiped away from the face of the earth.

"And Azazel taught the people (the art of) making swords and knives, and shields, and breastplates; and he showed to their chosen ones bracelets, decorations, (shadowing of the eye) with antimony, ornamentation, the beautifying of the eyelids, all kinds of precious stones, and all coloring tinctures and alchemy." - 1 Enoch 8:1
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Azazel in the Apocalypse of Abraham

In the Apocalypse of Abraham, Azazel is portrayed as an unclean bird which came down upon the sacrifice which Abraham prepared. This is in reference to Genesis 15:11 "Birds of prey came down upon the carcasses, and Abram drove them away."

"And the unclean bird spoke to me and said, 'What are you doing, Abraham, on the holy heights, where no one eats of drinks, nor is there upon them food for men. But these all will be consumed by fire and ascend to the height, they will destroy you.' And it came to pass when I saw the bird speaking I said this to the angel: 'What is this, my lord?' And he said, 'This is disgrace, this is Azazel!' And he said to him, 'Shame on you Azazel! For Abraham's portion is in heaven, and yours is on earth, for you have selected here, (and) become enamored of the dwelling place of your blemish. Therefore the Eternal Ruler, the Mighty One, has given you a dwelling on earth. Through you the all-evil spirit (is) a liar, and through you (are) wrath and trials on the generations of men who live impiously."
- Apocalypse of Abraham 13:4-9
The Apocalypse of Abraham also associates Azazel with Hell. Abraham says to him "May you be the firebrand of the furnace of the earth! Go, Azazel, into the untrodden parts of the earth. For your heritage is over those who are with you" (14:5-6) There is also the idea that God's heritage (the created world) is largely under the dominion of evil. It is "shared with Azazel" (20:5) Azazel is also identified with the serpent which tempted Eve. His form is described as a dragon with "hands and feet like a man's, on his back six wings on the right and six on the left." (23:7)

Finally, the Apocalypse of Abraham says that the wicked will "putrefy in the belly of the crafty worm Azazel, and be burned by the fire of Azazel's tongue." (31:5) Here again, there is another reference to Azazel as being Hell.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dictionnaire Infernal - Collin de Plancy (1863) (paraphrased)
Azazel is guardian of goats. On the 10th day of September, on the feast of the Expiation, it was Jewish custom to draw lots for two goats: one for the Lord and the other for Azazel. The goat for the Lord was then sacrificed and its blood served as atonement. With the goat for Azazel, the high priest would place both of his hands on the goat's head and confess both his sins and the sins of the people. The goat ("scapegoate") was then led into the desert and set free. Azazel then returned the goat. Milton described Azazel as the first gate-teacher of the infernal armies. Azazel is also the name of the demon that serves Mark the heretic.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the information came from [a href=\'http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/delirium/mythology/azazel.asp\' target=\'_blank\']http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/delirium/mythology/azazel.asp[/a]

Does this give enough information about Azazel [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'the Fallen Angel'

I know this is neither one of Maiden's best songs, nor one of their most popular. However, it has always been one of my favourites. The score is intense; you can turn this on and just go nuts, unlike the more subtle and complicated pieces on the album.

Also, the lyrics have always struck me as interesting. I haven't put a great deal of thought into their meaning yet, but I think they merit a close study like has been done with some of the other songs.

'the Fallen Angel'

[!--QuoteBegin-RudeZ+Aug 7 2005, 07:09 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(RudeZ @ Aug 7 2005, 07:09 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Azazel in Leviticus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Azazel in The Book of Enoch

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Azazel in the Apocalypse of Abraham

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dictionnaire Infernal -

Does this give enough information about Azazel [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]  [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]114379[/snapback]​
[/quote]

You only give new information to me in pointing out that "Azazel" as such is found in Leviticus the ONLY bible book to identify "Azazel" as "devil" and not a goat. I had mentioned before that he is found in the book of Enoch/Giants ONLY found in the Ethiopian Bible and Dead Sea Scrolls. The other sources are still gnostic, underground, unpopular (for a reason) and not officially recognized (by official I do mean a group of old men saying what counts and what doesn't).

Daily Song: The Fallen Angel

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: The Fallen Angel

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

I find this to be a slightly better song than The Fallen Angel The Mercenary. But only slightly better, not much more than that. Still a 7/10.

Re: Daily Song: The Fallen Angel

LooseCannon said:
I find this to be a slightly better song than The Fallen Angel. But only slightly better, not much more than that. Still a 7/10.

index.php

This is the weakest and most forgettable song on the album. As always, the chorus is OK, but nothing special at all. It's not terrible, but it's just not that good either. 4/10.

It's the album's weakest track, but that doesn't really say anything. 8/10

Sorry, I'm tired. I didn't mean to make that mistake. But I said The Fallen Angel on purpose.

Attachments

• fallen_angel.jpeg
    fallen_angel.jpeg
    12.1 KB · Views: 4

Heavy but somewhat boring. One of weakest 21st century H solos (if not the weakest). However Jan's is great! 7

It seems the Fallen Angel is a descriptive name of Lucifer. Looking on Google, I found that "Lucifer" means "The light bearer". Light is usually brought by the sun.

Most of the comments here mention that this is one of the weakest songs, or nothing special, maybe a highlight of one small portion of the song that is decent, but yet the scores are 7s and 8s. I realize we are talking about Maiden, but you can't have every song be an 8, 9 or 10. Otherwise there is no way to distinguish the actually far superior songs.

I give it a 4. It is utterly forgetable, the weakest song on the album, nothing special.

Back