The Concert Thread

Details on Ireland 2019 (among many links). This may also be a likely indicator for Download
https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/music/3137176/metallica-slane-castle-2019-world-tour/

A top Romanian ticketing site released ticket info for September 2019 (the photo says 2018, which is a bit dodgy but we'll see very soon).

France, May 12th 2019, Stade de Paris

And the one that got everyone's attention, a Spanish bus has got a huge tour advert on the back. 5th of May in Barcelona with Ghost and Bokassa opening. Tickets on sale on the 28th September.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1537688866965.jpg
    FB_IMG_1537688866965.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 4
  • FB_IMG_1537689072972.jpg
    FB_IMG_1537689072972.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 5
  • FB_IMG_1537689241684.jpg
    FB_IMG_1537689241684.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 5
Last night I saw Halestorm in Sheffield after buying a resale ticket about 10 days ago. Support bands were Rews (a female duo whom I'd never heard of, but they were OK) and Avatar who were a bit odd, like some sort of Alice Cooper meets Murderdolls meets Ghost mash up. Halestorm were fantastic and their singer is seriously amazing. She has such a powerful voice with either a raw Rock style or a more soulful style. Certainly one of the best modern Rock vocalists and didn't make a single mistake. However, as excellent as Halestorm were the crowd totally shit. Low energy, sad and weak. No one jumping or moving for the entire show for a high energy Rock band. I bet concerts in Lancashire have better atmospheres than this.

12/10 Kamelot/Cellar Darling, London
31/10 Devilskin, London
10/11 Within Temptation, Manchester
4/12 Tremonti, London
8/12 Nightwish, London
16/12 Kreator/Dimmu Borgir, London
late March: Cellar Darling
16/04 Avantasia
August: Bloodstock with Sabaton headlining

Next show: King King + Europe at Portsmouth Pyramids, 22nd September.

Great night. I was pleasantly surprised by King King, British blues rock at its best. Europe demonstrated that they are a great hard rock band, nothing to do with the shallow hair bands from the 80s they were associated with back in the day.

The were playing at a venue, Pyramids Plaza in Portsmouth, that is exactly that: a pyramid-shaped hall! There were plenty of people wearing Maiden T-shirts in the crowd.

Added Myles Kennedy, Greta Van Fleet and P!nk to December/Next year's roster. Might add Michael Schenker as well. Hoping to add Aerosmith, Maiden and Whitesnake to that as well

Stickied this thread.

Two reviews:

Last weekend I saw Alestorm with Gloryhammer at the Danforth Music Hall in Toronto. The hall was built in 1919 as one of the first movie theatres in the region and it shows. The building has both age and majesty, though time hasn't always been kind to it. Still, it had a good sized stage and a decent set of acoustics. There was a surprise opening act in local folk-metal artists Protokult. They weren't bad, and they brought in a few guest singers - a local music teacher who had superb pipes, and a pretty good death metal growler who looks extremely familiar but who I couldn't place.

Gloryhammer played the same set we'd seen at Heavy Montreal, but it's a great set that hits all of the band's best songs - not hard for a cheese metal band with only two albums - and the crowd was into it. There was certainly a legit portion of the crowd only there for Gloryhammer and they went nuts. I'd say the performance was technically better than the one in Montreal, but the crowd was better in the other city, far more into it.

Alestorm played their standard 17 song set, which has lots of stuff from the new album (including songs I'm not at all endeared with such as Pegleg Potion) and most of your expected classics (Keelhauled, Over the Seas, Captain Morgan's Revenge). Mexico and Magnetic North played particularly well live, I felt. Lots of people rowing on the floor during Nancy the Tavern Wench. Multiple pieces of women's undergarments were thrown at the stage, which I felt interesting - there was a decent percentage of women in the crowd, close to 40% if I had to ballpark it. Crowd was crazy hot, and I ended up in the press a couple times, getting borne around in a daze. Had a great time.

Last night I saw Unleash the Archers with Striker and two local bands at a small pub called Maverick's. Hadn't been in awhile and I forgot how small it was - comparable to the Cart & Horses for those who've been. My friends and I were about 3rd in line and we got right up front and I did not fucking move.

Local band 1 - Sovereign Council from Kingston, Ontario - was a fairly proggish metal band with duel singers (one female, one male) and they told interesting stories. The interaction between the two singers was legit enthralling, they had great chemistry together. It enhanced the songs they were telling. I spoke with the lead male singer after, he gave me a copy of the setlist for the night, seemed like a cool dude. If you like female-fronted prog with male vocals (clean and growls, but pretty good growls), check them out. They played 6 songs.

Local band 2 - power metal band called Lycanthro from Ottawa, Ontario. These guys knew exactly what they were. The lead singer & guitarist clearly has fantasies of being Megadave, but he was engaging on stage, really playing to the crowd, and since it was a local band, the crowd went pretty nuts for him. Fun fact - his 60ish some year old dad was right there in a battle vest filming the whole thing. Probably not as technically skilled as Sovereign Council but they had fun - and when the band has fun, the crowd has fun. They played 5 tracks.

Striker - Edmonton classic metal. These guys put on an awesome show, they made the small stage feel huge. They were really in sync, and the bassist (who was right in front of me) clearly wishes he was Steve Harris based on his machine gun antics. Their music was pretty good, I guess I'd call it pre-glam metal. Heavier than glam but with a lot of the same intonations and riff styles. They had a blast as well, chatted with their lead singer after and he said it was one of the best crowds they'd had all tour. 13 song set as a co-headliner.

Finally, Unleash the Archers. These guys are legit, and their 2017 album Apex was my favourite of last year - check it out if you haven't. I was directly in front of the lead singer, lots of eye contact, fist bumps from her and the band. They played a 9 song set, the crowd was on fire. Helps that their new bassist was from Ottawa (their old one quit just before the tour and they scrambled, but he seems to fit in well). Didn't even play their most famous song, which I respected the hell out of. My buddy Pat caught a pick.

Literally the only thing bad about the concert were these two guys who kept pushing up to try to get things from the band. They'd cup one hand like a bowl and point at it, right in the band's face, and scream at them "Feed the chickens!" I got tired of it halfway through the Unleash the Archers set and caught the look of one of the guys, shook my head and then made a motion like I was snapping a twig (or arm) in half. So they stopped, which made me happier. The most annoying thing I've ever seen at a show.

I can say this was the best $15 I've ever spent. For a concert of that quality I would have expected to pay double or triple. If they come to a town near you, check 'em out.

15 months ago I bought tix to see Accept in Houston on The Rise of Chaos tour but due to Hurricane Harvey, the show was rescheduled...to a YEAR later. That was last night (FINALLY). Felt like an even longer wait because they skipped Texas on the Blind Rage tour. Really enjoyable. Whole band sounded great.

Really wish they had played the title track to the latest cd (the one the tour is named after!), but instead they played No Regrets which I am not real big on. However turns out that by them playing that song, now I know that Wolf does not play all the lead on TROC cd. On No Regrets, the solo goes Uwe/Wolf/Uwe/Wolf/both (on dual lead)

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/accept/2018/the-lawn-at-white-oak-music-hall-houston-tx-63e9021b.html

Last edited:
On Friday I saw Kamelot in London. Good show from them although I didn't actually know a lot of the songs as I forgot to check the setlist before the show. Many people were going wild when Kamelot played songs I'd never heard of before but the ones I did recognize were good. It was the bass player's 50th birthday on Friday too and Lauren Hart (who was touring with Kamelot as guest vocalist) brought out a cake for him. During the keyboard/drum solo I went for a walk and managed to meet Cellar Darling with the lovely Anna Murphy who were the main support for one night only and the main reason I bought the ticket. They were very good but they felt a bit strange between two energetic bands. The first band was Leaves' Eyes who were better than I expected but their male vocalist seems a bit pointless and he doesn't have many vocal parts and is mainly a cheerleader to get the crowd to clap and chant. They'd be better off making one of the guitarists do the male vocals.

Upcoming schedule:

31/10 Devilskin, London
10/11 Within Temptation, Manchester
25/11 The Amorettes, Southampton
4/12 Tremonti, London
8/12 Nightwish, London
16/12 Kreator/Dimmu Borgir, London
late March: Cellar Darling
16/04 Avantasia, London
August: Sabaton etc., Bloodstock festival

Finally a concert to look forward to. Haven't seen anything since July.

July 4th 2019 - The Cure - Exit Festival in Novi Sad

What does that have to do with anything? Poor joke, Cried. I expected better from you.

I'm not that big of a fan, but I promised a friend I'll go with him if they ever come to Serbia, and it should be a fun trip. I heard a few live concerts of theirs and I know some songs, and their music is enjoyable. I just need to check out full albums.

Last night I went to see the Robert Cray Band live. The support act, Mike Eldred trio, were pretty good and did warm up the crowd quite nicely for 30 minutes with their American blues rock. The Robert Cray Band sounded meaner live than on album (not having a horn section probably helped :lol: ) and Robert's guitar playing was impressive. One of the highlights of the show was this song (the recording is from 4 Nights Of 40 Years Live):

Thoroughly recommended to anyone who likes the blues. :)

Back