The Concert Thread

Yeah, I think I'll buy a couple tickets, if someone wants to come, they can come. Not paying for front row though, fuck no GA.

Judas Priest kicked ass on Wednesday night in "Chicago", even if the set was barely 70 minutes and Halford literally never once talked to the crowd. They sounded much better than I expected them too, especially Rob, even though he didn’t sing the main lyrics on the choruses of 3-4 popular songs and did the lame “hold the mic out to the audience for the words” bit. The seat upgrade was amazing, especially for a first time Priest fan.

Here's some pics and video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BmzzoB5gMyS/?taken-by=brettknickerbocker

Highlights were the new songs, which kicked all sorts of ass, Painkiller of course, and Sinner. Faulkner did an extended solo in Sinner that was absolutely amazing. Setlist could have been way longer and could have used more deep cuts but unfortunately they were stuck with the opening slot on a co-headlining tour.

Deep Purple were fine. They played all classics, which was cool, and Roger Glover, Ian Paice, and Don Airey were on fire. Honestly, Morse was a little sloppy and Gillan just seemed like he was choking out the notes. He didn't sound bad, but he had no real power or stage presence.

Honestly these co-headlining tours for bands of this age are just cash grabs. They each play a little over an hour, ticket prices are usually moderate, they're at outdoor venues in the summer and the bands put very little effort into them. Priest's performance was great, but the set looked cheap and flimsy, Purple had nothing onstage other than a video screen.

Just got back from Alice in Chains and a few other bands that played in Portland last night. I arrived early and managed to get on the rail (I usually do anyways :D) It was a great night, however my neck is sore!!!

Stone Temple Pilots: STP was the first band up and I was quite pleased. The new singer is a lot like Scott as they look and sound so similar. He even does the little dances that Scott did while singing. I would probably go see them again.

The Cult: This was always a band I wanted to see. I love a lot of their songs! However they were a bit disappointing as they didn't have as much energy as STP did. I think the singer might have had a cold or something. I caught a guitar pick from the lead guitarist.

Bush: Going into this show I knew like two songs by Bush and I was not expecting much. But they killed it! There was a lot of energy, and the frontman was quite entertaining. Towards the end of the show he left the stage and went into the crowd and sang for about two songs. There was maybe about 20,000 people there so that's something I've never seen before. I would go see them again!

Alice in Chains: They were obviously the reason I bought tickets in the first place. They played such a great show! I think William Duvall might have recognized me as I met him two years ago. The setlist could change a bit more but it flowed so well! Stone and Hollow were easily the highlights of the night, those songs should never leave the setlist ever! Angry Chair was a nice surprise too. It was also nice to hear a few of the songs from the new album too. I caught another guitar pick from Jerry Cantrell at the end.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/alic...pply-amphitheater-ridgefield-wa-23e8349b.html

I uploaded a few videos to youtube. Them Bones and Red Giant from AiC and Everything Zen by Bush. I filmed She Sells Sanctuary, but it wasn't that good.

I saw the Cult twice on the Sonic Temple tour and both times the singer sucked (but the guitarist was great!)

Always wanted to see Bush but just never did. Saw STP on their 3rd tour and was surprised at how good they were.

Saw AIC live on their 1st tour and also on the last tour (The Devil Dinosaur) and were even better now!

The Cult were always the definition of trend hoppers. First they were goth, then metal, then indie in the 90s, Billy Duffy even has the Beckham undercut hairstyle now 4 years too late.

I find it really disturbing how STP have hired some young dude to sing like Scott, bleach his hair like Scott, do little dances like Scott. Just weird.

Glenn Hughes & Laurence Jones ~ The 02 Academy, Glasgow - 12 October
The Magpie Salute ~ The Garage, Glasgow - 06 December
UFO ~ The Queen's Hall, Edinburgh - 29 March

Back